Who Would You Take?

HuskerFever

cozrulz, thanks for the interesting discussion (http://board.huskerh...t__60#entry3432).

I'm curious. Regardless of 10/12/14/16+ in a conference, regardless of current ties that teams have with a conference, regardless of feasibility, which teams do you think would be a great addition to the Big Ten? With these parameters, it seems like it would be more about fit and product line the university has, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll start (my top 5):

1) Notre Dame (again, feasibility aside)

2) Kansas (nuff said)

3) Villanova (P.S. they have a very good D2 football program, maybe help them move to D1... kind of like an Appalachian State)

4) Ohio (football and basketball teams have been on the rise in the last 5 years)

5) Virginia (academics and average athletics)

Honorary: Creighton to the Big East (half joking)

Your turn.

1. Notre Dame (Big ten wanted them since before Penn state)

2. Kansas (Gives us a brother. Great hoops/better football than rutgers historically. Feels like a Big Ten fit to me)

3. Syracuse (New York state & NYC ownership. Similar traits to KU)

4. Pitt (Literally plugs into Big Ten footprint. Underrated academics, city of Pittsburgh, historic football/good hoops)

That's about it and yes I know the last two already joined the ACC

1). Syracuse. Great fit culturally and geographically, flagship University in NY, which is important for BTN considerations.

2). North Carolina/UVA. Elite academics, passable football, flagship Universities in high population states. Also, could be the final blow to the ACC, which is the only hope the B1G would have of landing Notre Dame (more on that in my next post)

3). GIT. High level academics, passable football, access to GA/FLA recruiting, high population state.

Really it's all about three things. Location in a state not already residing within the B1G footprint, preferably a high population state so as to increase the BTN value more than the additional "mouths" to feed from the TV revenue pool, football football football and maybe a little bit basketball, and high academic standards. Cultural and geographical fit is nice (and I think after football is what made Nebraska most attractive), but mostly it's about population. And football.

Reasons against:

Notre Dame - the Irish have absolutely no interest at all in the B1G. They would only (and I mean ONLY) go to the B1G if the ACC totally collapsed, which is not likely. As of right now, the only chance of Notre Dame becoming a full member in any conference, and it's probably just slightly less than 1%, would be in the ACC. And to be honest, I believe the B1G's interest is waning as well. Sure, they'd be glad to welcome the Irish into the fold, but that just doesn't appear to be possible, so it's time to move on from that.

Pitt - they have the misfortune of being located in a state which the B1G already has a presence, for the BTN, that is a no go. Adding a school in a state that is already covered by the B1G would drastically decrease the per-school payout from BTN. On top of that, Penn State would block Pitt's addition with extreme prejudice. You can automatically rule out any school that is located within the current B1G footprint**

Kansas - not gonna happen. KU football does not move the needle, and the population of the state is not worth it in terms of what they bring to the table, which is just basketball.

Oklahoma/Texas - Texas is actually a maybe, but the Longhorn Network (an ESPN property) is a huge blockade when it comes to Texas doing anything other than keep the Big XII alive. Not to mention Texas prefers the PAC, and I believe would actually go to the ACC before the B1G. Oklahoma would become part of the PAC first, SEC second, and maybe the B1G third...but that is ONLY if Texas blows up the Big XII.

Any school that plays FCS football, and actually if they are not currently in a BCS conference can be ruled right out, IMO. And even for BCS level schools, if the school doesn't bring at least one of the three big demos, elite football, elite academics or high-density population, they will not become part of the B1G.

Of course this is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

**the exception to the footprint rule is Notre Dame. And Notre Dame only.

Delany is a UNC alum.

Delany grew up in South Orange, New Jersey and attended Saint Benedict's Preparatory School in Newark, New Jersey. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science in 1970. While a student there he played for the university's basketball team, playing on two squads that reached the NCAA Final Four. His senior season he was co-captain of the team.

He remained at North Carolina for law school, receiving his Juris Doctor (J.D.) in 1973.

...Georgia Tech brings the city of Atlanta...

I've spent my fair share of time there before. I'll tell you one thing. Atlantians (Atlantans? Atliens? Atlantanans?) don't care one bit about any team that resides in the city. Besides, the Big Ten Network is already in that area. It certainly is odd. From personal experience, I would pursue other options if they are looking purely at the money side of things.

wow. if we had two more, and the conference had their pick, given their number one goal of adding tv sets first, academics second, i'd think Notre Dame (still) and then UNC. North Carolina's been coveted for some time in order to expand the conference presence south into a massive collegiate market and recruiting hotbed.

North Carolina won't leave ACC unless FL St bails. But that's also a strong possibility right now. they're shopping.

Not sure KU's football history is really anything better than Rutgers but sure would be a major step up with regards to the two schools and basketball. However much like Pitt not bring anything new to the table, KU would not either in terms of TV markets. Might solidify the KC market but that could be done with Missouri too.

Well, academically, Virginia and North Carolina are certainly strong schools. Those two would extend the B1G footprint into contiguous states that possess fertile recruiting grounds.

Probably the best fits geographically would be Virginia and Kentucky but I'm not sure Kentucky is up there academically. But the way Kentucky nestles right into Illinois, Indiana and Ohio would kind of put Kentucky in good geographic position to join the B1G. Of course, the chances of us raiding the SEC for a school like Kentucky would be next to none, but it still would be a better geographic fit than North Carolina.

And then, while I hate to suggest it, if we were going to try to expand to the west somewhat to balance out the eastern additions, there would be Missouri. And then also Kansas. Kansas would fit the B1G profile better, maybe. But Missouri has a lot of TV sets, so ...

I'm not suggesting that any of these schools are likely or good or would be good additions or anything. I'm only looking at the perspective of geography so that there's some sort of geographic integrity to the conference. For that reason, I certainly wouldn't want to add a Texas, which has nothing geographically in common with any of the current B1G schools.

uneblinstu, I don't think that's true. Missouri has double the population of Kansas. More than double. And you get BTN on all the cable boxes in the area. Now, more folks may be avid fans of the Jayhawks and they may have more followers, but that's not the same thing as more TV sets in a market, which is what drives the $$$ for the BTN.

forget anything about basketball, which a good majority of you are thinking. Basketball is already strong, they dont need more unless they happen to luck into a school thats good at it already. Its ALL about the money market with teams that have an average to above average football team that also add the ability to include a ton of academic presense with grants, aau, etc. personally I would go for UNC and GT. Both have fertile recruiting grounds, big markets, decent football backgrounds, happen to be great at hoops, and also improve the baseball in the B1G. Would finally make the B1G something to talk about for all 3 seasons.

I personally would like to see some combination of Syracuse, North Carolina and Virginia as #15 and 16. Can't stress enough how important it is to get a strong foothold into the east coast media markets.

Barfknecht today mentioned some folks that may be privy to behind the scenes information say that UNC and Kansas are pretty strong candidates though, and while I'd be pleased as punch at the prospect of KU joining the fold, I would be very surprised if it actually happened.

Last 6 years for GIT:

2005-2006: 11-17 (4-12)

2006-2007: 20-12 (8-8)

2007-2008: 15-17 (7-9)

2008-2009: 12-19 (2-14)

2009-2010: 23-13 (7-9)

2010-2011: 13-18 (5-11)

Total: -------94-96 (33-63)

lost in the National Championship game in 2004. 5 times to the Elite 8 and 3 times ACC tournament champs. Not a horrible basketball history. I think I speak for most people here that would be elated to get back to the tournament let alone win since its been so long.