Who Would You Take?

HuskerFever

Gov, why do you think they wouldn't take KU? Marginal football program? Historically no worse than Northwestern's, though.

The reason I don't think they take KU is because they want to increase their presence on the East Coast. All the teams being mentioned (minus Notre Dame) as the 15th and 16th memebers are all East Coast teams (GaTech, Virginia, North Carolina).

I don't think that quality of the football program matters right now. We saw that with Maryland.

Well, then, back to the question of which team you'd take if you could take anyone. Obviously, Notre Dame would be a huge draw. So good, obviously, that Notre Dame doesn't need a conference and their revenues would conceivably be diminished by becoming part of the B1G. So, if that can't happen, then North Carolina and KU would also be very good schools to add to the mix. Good academics, good sports programs for the most part (great hoops, ok football, decent in other sports) and they both would add something geographically. I like the fact that, with KU in the mix, Nebraska wouldn't be the lone outpost west of the Missouri River.

uneblinstu, I don't think that's true. Missouri has double the population of Kansas. More than double. And you get BTN on all the cable boxes in the area. Now, more folks may be avid fans of the Jayhawks and they may have more followers, but that's not the same thing as more TV sets in a market, which is what drives the $$$ for the BTN.

Except that Kansas delivers Kansas City, Mizzou doesn't. Mizzou, if it delivers anything, it would be St. Louis, but that's more of a pro sports town than KC is.

Except that Kansas delivers Kansas City, Mizzou doesn't. Mizzou, if it delivers anything, it would be St. Louis, but that's more of a pro sports town than KC is.

St. Louis is more of an Illoinis city more than MIzzou ( I work for a technical company based in St. Louis). Kansas city is more of a KU town. I don't think Kansas is what they will be looking for but Lee has talked to more people than me I'm sure. North Carolina would be a huge get! Like taking Texas from Big 12 in a way; the major school in the area.

St. Louis is more of an Illoinis city more than MIzzou ( I work for a technical company based in St. Louis). Kansas city is more of a KU town. I don't think Kansas is what they will be looking for but Lee has talked to more people than me I'm sure. North Carolina would be a huge get! Like taking Texas from Big 12 in a way; the major school in the area.

I don't think they'll take them either, i'd just love to see it. I just think they fit pretty well culturally into the Big Ten.

The following may be a bit off the wall but:

1. Vanderbilt: while their athletics are not outstanding, both the football and basketball programs have made steady improvements over the last 5-10 years. But the big part is Vanderbilt's connections with Nashville (a growing metropolitan area), Memphis, and Kentucky. There are already strong Big Ten connections in the Louisville area (Indiana) and the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area (Ohio State). Vanderbilt could help solidify that Kentucky plus give us a connection to the deep south (recruiting). Plus, the academics are great.

I have heard for some time that the SEC would not mind losing Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt has considered leaving the SEC for a conference with better academic standards (about 10 years ago it was rumored Vanderbilt wanted to leave for the A-10 if it were to have a football schedule).

2. Duke/UNC/Wake Forest: North Carolina's Tech corridor is booming and creating more jobs than the state can fill. The state population has only been growing for the last 15 years. Making a dent into the North Carolina market will be huge in the next 10 years. Its my understanding that a good number of Big Ten grads have been moving to North Carolina the past few years as well. All three institutions have the academics and are better athletic programs than Maryland. I think it would be better to invest in Duke or UNC; however, I really doubt we would be able to take one without the other. Wake would mostly be a consolation prize.

3. Connecticut:the move would solidify the entire northeast corridor. I know Syracuse is a better school, but it does not have the ties to NYC (or Boston for that matter) that Connecticut has. One thing to consider, the ACC moved fast and behind the scenes when it took Pitt and Syracuse from the Big East. Supposedly the only hang up for Connecticut was it needed a dance partner for the move (e.g. Rutgers). Now, Connecticut suddenly is noncommittal about joining the ACC. It would not surprise me if Connecticut is already talking to BOTH the Big Ten and the ACC.

4. Georgia Tech: I love the idea. HOWEVER, it is my impression that Georgia is the dominant school followed by Florida State, Clemson AND THEN Georgia Tech. That being said, it is my understanding that there is already a strong Nebraska presence in Atlanta.

5. Clemson: It is my understanding there are enough Clemson alums to make headway into both Atlanta and North Carolina. I remember when we went to the Gator Bowl, Clemson was selected because it was believed they would have a stronger fan showing than that of Florida State.