Coaching Changes

HB

CUONZO IS GONZO: SO WHO'S NEXT FOR THE VOLS?

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/cuonzo-is-gonzo-so-whos-next-for-the-vols.php

5. Colorado's Tad Boyle

Boyle's a former Tennessee assistant who has taken over the Colorado job and had great success there. Word is Boyle loved it in Knoxville. With three straight NCAA tourney bids at Colorado, could the Vols pry Boyle away from the Pac 12. 

I think there would be a good chance of that. 

6. Bruce Pearl, Auburn

Ah, the Vols own orange coaching whale. 

Can you imagine the balls if Dave Hart got a rich booster to pay Pearl's $5 million buyout to Auburn and led him back into Knoxville before he'd even coached a game on the Plains?

CUONZO IS GONZO: SO WHO'S NEXT FOR THE VOLS?

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/cuonzo-is-gonzo-so-whos-next-for-the-vols.php

5. Colorado's Tad Boyle

Boyle's a former Tennessee assistant who has taken over the Colorado job and had great success there. Word is Boyle loved it in Knoxville. With three straight NCAA tourney bids at Colorado, could the Vols pry Boyle away from the Pac 12. 

I think there would be a good chance of that. 

6. Bruce Pearl, Auburn

Ah, the Vols own orange coaching whale. 

Can you imagine the balls if Dave Hart got a rich booster to pay Pearl's $5 million buyout to Auburn and led him back into Knoxville before he'd even coached a game on the Plains?

As long as that speculation doesn't include anyone named Tim Miles I'm cool with it....

The writer of that article thinks Tennessee is a "slight" step up from Nebraska.

That says one hell of a lot right there, folks.  A hell of a lot.

How much of a "step up" would Tennessee have been 3 years ago? 

Doc was entering his final season at the helm here and Tennessee was just wrapping up 6 straight NCAA appearances under Pearl including 2 Sweet 16s and a Final 8.

Three years later, they're only a "slight" step up, by their guy's own description.

Well that is just pure evil!

Brando works for CBS Sports who owns the rights to........The SEC.  He also has a man crush on Miles.

If it were up to Brando, the SEC would consist of Billy Donovan, John Calipari, Tim Miles, and 11 cloned copies of Tim Miles.

Let me just prepare you all for the future with some Tim Brando madlibs

{SEC School} {Name of SEC School's AD} is a quality AD IMO, but he could prove it by making a strong run at Nebraska's Tim Miles. While it might be replacing {Name of fired/leaving/required coach} he reminds me of {context appropriate coach}

Now, it's entirely possible that, given the opportunity to take the job at Tennessee, Coach Miles would go.  There's no denying the fact that coaching is a highly mobile profession, but consider:

Cuonzo Martin was making $1.3 million at Tennessee, and folks at volnation.com feel that a $2 million salary is not in the cards for them at this time, they'll likely stay at around the $1.3 mark unless a big name comes through (aka, Shaka Smart or Gregg Marshall).  Miles is at around $2 million right now at NU, with presumably a bigger salary pool for assistants as well.

The Tennessee facilities are not as new as Nebraska's, but Thompson-Boling arena (capacity 21,678) has been given a $35 million renovation and their practice facility is only about 7 years old (I honestly have no idea how it compares amenity-wise to Hendricks).  That's probably a push if I were honest.

Tennessee is going to have a marked advantage in recruiting, just on sheer local population alone, coupled with more recent success in the tournament gives them the edge, but we're closing that gap.

The Big Ten is, as a league, far and away more prestigious than the SEC and it's not even close - particularly from a coaching standpoint - and Miles himself has said that a big part of the appeal to the Nebraska job is their conference affiliation.  Again, that's not to say he couldn't be lured away, but it's also probably not going to be just as easy as some might think.

Finally, I'm not so sure that the Tim Miles name would resonate with the Tennessee fanbase or administration.  I'm sure they'll be more interested in the Shakas and the Marshalls, the Cronins and dare I say even Josh Pastner as their home run type hire.

In summary, my level of worry about Miles leaving for any job, let alone Tennessee right now is at about DEFCON 4.  But, to even be having this conversation is awesome...I mean, really, we have a coach that someone might be interested in hiring away from us!  That's a new situation!  And it's awesome!

Frank Haith leaving Missouri for Tulsa is a puzzler for me if this report is true. Would Tulsa would be considered a step up? This only makes sense to me if either Haith is a really good guy who is sick of MU and wants to get out or Haith is a real problem and MU wants him gone. I know MU has been plagued by issues with athletes in a variety of sports but it is still an historic basketball program in a major conference. How can you choose Tulsa over them if you don't feel like you HAVE to?

Frank Haith leaving Missouri for Tulsa is a puzzler for me if this report is true. Would Tulsa would be considered a step up? This only makes sense to me if either Haith is a really good guy who is sick of MU and wants to get out or Haith is a real problem and MU wants him gone. I know MU has been plagued by issues with athletes in a variety of sports but it is still an historic basketball program in a major conference. How can you choose Tulsa over them if you don't feel like you HAVE to?

Is the AAC a major conference?  Tulsa is going there and with the loss of Danny Manning I'm sure they feel pressure to find a "name" to continue on the success that Manning has built.

Haith had 2-3 years left on his contract with what seemed to be a decent chance of him not making it to the end...he was never a popular hire and it doesn't seem like the Mizzou fans are going to miss him.  

Thus, if you're Frank Haith does the thought of 2 more years of employment + being unemployed for who knows how long afterwards outweigh the drop of prestige at a new job where you're looking at 5+ years and probably not a huge change in salary?

Seems like Haith was smart enough to get out of Columbia before someone it was no longer his decision.