Tarin Smith is N

I still don't know why they would mess with Tai's shooting mechanics - the kid shot 62% from 3s during the Olympic trials.  Leave his shot alone.

I really believe 90% of shooting is mental/confidence.  Heck, I've seen plenty of female players with "questionable" form that shoot lights out.  Having a consistent and comfortable release is the most important thing.

Tai's shooting performance in the Olympic trials was a statistical anomaly that was not duplicated either at Westlake Boy's School or the Waikato Pistons. I wouldn't use that small statistical data set to support the premise that Tai's shooting was just fine. Obviously, the Nebraska staff disagreed.

what was his stats at his high school? all i've ever seen him do in HS was dunk

I still don't know why they would mess with Tai's shooting mechanics - the kid shot 62% from 3s during the Olympic trials.  Leave his shot alone.

I really believe 90% of shooting is mental/confidence.  Heck, I've seen plenty of female players with "questionable" form that shoot lights out.  Having a consistent and comfortable release is the most important thing.

Tai's shooting performance in the Olympic trials was a statistical anomaly that was not duplicated either at Westlake Boy's School or the Waikato Pistons. I wouldn't use that small statistical data set to support the premise that Tai's shooting was just fine. Obviously, the Nebraska staff disagreed.

what was his stats at his high school? all i've ever seen him do in HS was dunk

I can't give you a percentage, but he wasn't knocking down 3s at a 62% clip and his shooting numbers with the Pistons were poor.

According to this site, he shot about 45% from the field with Waikato.  Not bad for a 17-year old in a pro league.  Certainly better than the 30% he shot this year.

I just think with Tai getting adjusting to new surroundings here, it wasn't wise to tinker with his shooting form during the season.  Do that in the offseason if you want to.  But I really think it messed with his confidence/mind this year.  You could tell late in the season that he didn't believe he could make a shot.

Interesting sentence in Lee B's write-up about Smith...

Smith said the Nebraska staff promised him a chance to compete for regular playing time next season.[/size]

http://bigredtoday.com/article/20140317/HUSKERS/140318681/1002#husker-hoops-lands-new-jersey-point-guard-tarin-smith

Does that mean other schools were telling him he wouldn't have a chance to compete for playing time?

I assumed it was more to the fact that a lot of us, myself included, think he will redshirt this year. However, that quote makes it seem like he will have the chance to play right away. 

But shouldn't every player get the chance to play?

Our coaching staff is straight up with guys.

They told Pitch he needed to redshirt to come here.

Smith seems like a kid with a head on his shoulders....he definitely should play if he's physically ready to contribute in the B1G

It's true.  He does.  I've seen the pictures.
So its not this guy....

post-92-0-81249700-1397907260_thumb.jpg

At this point, saying Tai hasn't adjusted to USA basketball is just an excuse.

Tai struggled but it's evident that he has some talent. While he lacked confidence and struggled he's also a freshman who started on a decent team with 3 offensive weapons ahead of him on the team. It's been stated before, but we didn't need Tai to force the issue. It would've been nice if he could hit an open shot, but that's been hit on multiple times.

He certainly didn't approach the high expectations that he came with, but it's not like he's a total bust without any hope either. Again, he's a freshman. Maybe that's the excuse that should be used instead of the 'hasn't adjusted to US basketball yet' because there were plenty of freshman on worse teams that didn't start who have been playing US basketball their entire lives. He's a freshman.

At this point, saying Tai hasn't adjusted to USA basketball is just an excuse.

Tai struggled but it's evident that he has some talent. While he lacked confidence and struggled he's also a freshman who started on a decent team with 3 offensive weapons ahead of him on the team. It's been stated before, but we didn't need Tai to force the issue. It would've been nice if he could hit an open shot, but that's been hit on multiple times.

He certainly didn't approach the high expectations that he came with, but it's not like he's a total bust without any hope either. Again, he's a freshman. Maybe that's the excuse that should be used instead of the 'hasn't adjusted to US basketball yet' because there were plenty of freshman on worse teams that didn't start who have been playing US basketball their entire lives. He's a freshman.

And a young Freshman at that.

According to this site, he shot about 45% from the field with Waikato.  Not bad for a 17-year old in a pro league.  Certainly better than the 30% he shot this year.

I just think with Tai getting adjusting to new surroundings here, it wasn't wise to tinker with his shooting form during the season.  Do that in the offseason if you want to.  But I really think it messed with his confidence/mind this year.  You could tell late in the season that he didn't believe he could make a shot.

Miles has established very clearly over his first two years that he's willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gains. Altering Webster's shooting mechanics during his freshman season seems to be consistent with this strategy, as was his request to Brandon Ubel and Deverell Biggs to redshirt in 2012, his signing of two transfers who had to sit out a year, etc. There are many examples out there. 

What the staff has said at booster functions is that they made this decision as a staff and felt it would be in Tai's best long-term interests.  

Miles has established very clearly over his first two years that he's willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term gains. Altering Webster's shooting mechanics during his freshman season seems to be consistent with this strategy, as was his request to Brandon Ubel and Deverell Biggs to redshirt in 2012, his signing of two transfers who had to sit out a year, etc. There are many examples out there. 

What the staff has said at booster functions is that they made this decision as a staff and felt it would be in Tai's best long-term interests.  

every time i hear ubel redshirt it makes me so sad. Ubel on this years team...just good times that could of been...i need a hug now.

Deverell Biggs to redshirt in 2012,  

While agree with your overall point, it was Deverell who chose to redshirt.  Miles wanted him to play immediately.

I stand corrected then. Scratch Biggs, but he definitely asked Ubel to redshirt for 2012-2013 knowing how much better the team would be the following season. Can you imagine how bad that team would have been without Brandon?