Is it just me......

Dean Smith

If you're talking about my recent exchange with JohnnyOneNut, I apologize for coming off harsh, if that's the way I came off.  However, Johnny is (without the benefit of comparing IP addresses) almost certainly the same poster who was previously banned on our old board (after only 24 posts) under the nickname "JohnnyRedHoopster." 

And, at the time that JohnnyRedHoopster was banned (shortly after he arrived) I noticed some eerie similarities and coincidences between JohnnyRedHoopster and Bradguru, who was also banned.  And, of course, most of us thought Bradguru was a reincarnation of the previously banned Kidney, whom many thought was a reincarnation of Whiteknuckle, who had also been banned.

So, I got a little cross-wise with Johnny when he crapped on a thread I started by invoking a very Kidney-esque rant about pathetic coaching, pathetic decisions and pathetic administrators paying money to coaches who should have been fired.  That crap got old and tired before the first iteration of JohnnyOneNut was banned and it didn't become more palatable just because we've been winning.

The other possibility was BadBrad.  I think Bad was exposed as a probable Creighton troll. Don't know what became of him.  Did he get the axe?  And is Kidney version 5.0 still around or did he get the boot, too?

Dean, if those are the ones you're talking about, then I think it's just a couple of folks who are aberrations and you can rest assured that success has not spoiled us.

This +1000 -- I really think it is just a few recurring bad apples that rightly get tomahawked around. In my experience nobody around minds a good, robust or even contrary debate. But some folks come in and try to hurt people with the words. Due to my profession I am VERY intolerant of this kind of behavior. It is one thing to engage in a vigorous debate. It is another thing altogether to be a(n) _____________ (fill in the blank with your own creative expression).

If you're talking about my recent exchange with JohnnyOneNut, I apologize for coming off harsh, if that's the way I came off. However, Johnny is (without the benefit of comparing IP addresses) almost certainly the same poster who was previously banned on our old board (after only 24 posts) under the nickname "JohnnyRedHoopster."

And, at the time that JohnnyRedHoopster was banned (shortly after he arrived) I noticed some eerie similarities and coincidences between JohnnyRedHoopster and Bradguru, who was also banned. And, of course, most of us thought Bradguru was a reincarnation of the previously banned Kidney, whom many thought was a reincarnation of Whiteknuckle, who had also been banned.

So, I got a little cross-wise with Johnny when he crapped on a thread I started by invoking a very Kidney-esque rant about pathetic coaching, pathetic decisions and pathetic administrators paying money to coaches who should have been fired. That crap got old and tired before the first iteration of JohnnyOneNut was banned and it didn't become more palatable just because we've been winning.

The other possibility was BadBrad. I think Bad was exposed as a probable Creighton troll. Don't know what became of him. Did he get the axe? And is Kidney version 5.0 still around or did he get the boot, too?

Dean, if those are the ones you're talking about, then I think it's just a couple of folks who are aberrations and you can rest assured that success has not spoiled us.

No one was harsher on Kidney than me. I don't really mind going off on trolls. It just seemed that there wasn't anyone in particular but some if the new posters seemed to shut down discussions quicker than things used to happen.

It just seemed that there wasn't anyone in particular but some if the new posters seemed to shut down discussions quicker than things used to happen.

How exactly do you define a new poster?

I haven't really noticed much difference in the discourse on this site since it came to existence from the Rivals Basketball Board.

It just seemed that there wasn't anyone in particular but some if the new posters seemed to shut down discussions quicker than things used to happen.

How exactly do you define a new poster?

I haven't really noticed much difference in the discourse on this site since it came to existence from the Rivals Basketball Board.

I've never been to the Rivals board so I can't help you on that one.

I've never been to the Rivals board so I can't help you on that one.

I'll reword it a bit. From the beginning of this site to the present I haven't noticed any difference in the discourse. Could you provide an example?

My question still stands: How exactly do you define a "new poster"? Number of posts? How long they have been a member?

Hey no one has shut this thread down. Its the biggest week in this boards existence and this thread is two pages long and counting.

Positivity rules!

I agree. During this week this thread does seem to be extemporaneous. I felt and still do that the level of snarkiness has gone up a little since the success. If others have not noticed or disagree that's fine with me. If snarkiness is what you get with success, I'm fine with a little snarkiness. Please let's get back to discussing how we are going to beat Baylor. Sorry I started the whole thing.

Sorry I started the whole thing.

Don't be.  I've been thinking the same thing.

One sort of positive is that by this time half the board would be checked out for the year because....bleh.  Last Monday after the Wisconsin win was the most traffic this site has ever seen and I expect that record to be continuously broken during the Tim Miles Era.  There are a lot more people with a lot more passion.  A little bit more bite to posts sometimes but overall that doesn't necessarily concern me.

One thing:  This site is unique in my experience in that we seem to have not necessarily an older crowd but certainly a more mature one.  The tone of the discussions on here is better than any other sports message board I've ever seen.  We need to keep it that way.  It needs to be clear to new posters that the kind of jackassery that has become commonplace elsewhere isn't welcome here.

If you can't conduct yourself with a certain amount of decorum over here, then feel free to join the perpetual pissing contest over on that other board.  But keep that rot away from here.  I'd rather talk basketball with a Creighton fan than engage some of those bellicose imbeciles in any sort of discussion.

One thing: This site is unique in my experience in that we seem to have not necessarily an older crowd but certainly a more mature one. The tone of the discussions on here is better than any other sports message board I've ever seen. We need to keep it that way. It needs to be clear to new posters that the kind of jackassery that has become commonplace elsewhere isn't welcome here.

If you can't conduct yourself with a certain amount of decorum over here, then feel free to join the perpetual pissing contest over on that other board. But keep that rot away from here. I'd rather talk basketball with a Creighton fan than engage some of those bellicose imbeciles in any sort of discussion.

Hell Norm all we have to do to the bad Creighton fans is give them to Royal for like to posts and they leave.

Royal,the pitbull of HHC.:)

And yes I think there is a level of maturity on this board, well from others than me that is.;)