If there's a silver lining in yesterday's loss ...

First of all, let me say I think we're in.  Just a question of seeding.  Assuming I'm right, there is, I think, a silver lining in yesterday's loss.

Expect a focused and angry team on Thursday or Friday when they play their first tournament game.

Every time this year that they've gone out and laid an egg in one game, they've come out the next and played extremely well.  I would expect that pattern to continue.

The monkey is loosening his grip.

First of all, let me say I think we're in.  Just a question of seeding.  Assuming I'm right, there is, I think, a silver lining in yesterday's loss.

Expect a focused and angry team on Thursday or Friday when they play their first tournament game.

Every time this year that they've gone out and laid an egg in one game, they've come out the next and played extremely well.  I would expect that pattern to continue.

I'm hoping yesterday's loss makes this team hungrier. Sometimes a loss can be a learning situation and can also be a wakeup call. Our ultimate goal wasn't to win yesterday. Our ultimate goal is to win next Thursday/Friday.

Assuming the selection committee doesn't screw us by leaving us out, I feel confident we will win.

Norm, you and I are on the same page.  I was telling people at the restaurant last night I'd rather lose to Ohio State and win the first game in the NCAA Tourney.  And as far as the play in game, I don't see any way we're in it.  But, which is better for us, being an 11 seed going against a 3 to make the Sweet Sixteen, or a 10 seed taking on a number 2?  :)

No offense to Norm, but I think his question is a losing attitude.  I've watched us for most of my life, and I finally feel like we're good enough, and have a good enough coach.  I think looking for silver linings is something that we have made ourselves do over the past decade plus.  We shouldn't be accepting, which you are by talking about silver linings, 

I played my share of big games in high school, my coaches never talked about silver linings.  You are either a winner or a loser in basketball.  I think we're winners, but I think this kind of attitude from fans makes it easier to accept losing.

I would expect the pattern to continue as well. Losing sucks, but it happens. Good teams have collapses all the time.

Only thing that makes it harder is we have to wait a week to get the bad taste out, but so do the players. I would expect extra intense practices. Not just because of the loss, but because in the end, Nebraska lost their composure. Makes the taste extra nasty, and this team has shown all year they bounce back strong when they get that bad taste.

No offense to Norm, but I think his question is a losing attitude.  I've watched us for most of my life, and I finally feel like we're good enough, and have a good enough coach.  I think looking for silver linings is something that we have made ourselves do over the past decade plus.  We shouldn't be accepting, which you are by talking about silver linings, 

I played my share of big games in high school, my coaches never talked about silver linings.  You are either a winner or a loser in basketball.  I think we're winners, but I think this kind of attitude from fans makes it easier to accept losing.

So what you're saying is, "If you ain't first, you're last."  Thanks Ricky.

I was pretty pissed about the breakdown in composure in that OSU ballgame. But, the sun did come up today, and the Nebrasketball coaching staff & players are out there gettin' better every day, and I am fully confident that the Huskers will work through any struggles and find a way to minimize their own shortcomings in their next game, because that's what winners do.

The coaches know they have battle-tested warriors like Petteway, Shields, Gallegos, Pitchford, Parker, Rivers et al who make winning plays, and they will overcome any adversity and learn & grow into a better team in the process. It's not always fun to watch, but there's no question that this team is a whole lot better than it was a mere 2 months ago! The truly exciting part is this team still has a lot of room to develop into a better team yet this week for achieving bigger & better things in the NCAAs.

>>My silver lining is that since we lost, we no longer have to face BIG officials again this year. Surely the NCAA isn't dumb enough to select those officials for any of our potential games.

I am sure that a few of the officials that work B1G games will be working the NCAA's. But they are just not B1G officials. If you watch close you will see

the same guys working other conferences. But B1G fans think they have the worst officials, Big 12 fans think they have the worst officials, ACC fans think they have the worst officials, ETC. I all comes down to complaining about

officials on message boards is what losers do.

Brad I think that some of us older guys 50 year old + tend to try to find silver linings in everything we do. I know it is much better than the white satin lining I will be seeing some day.:)

For some it is just an age thing. You know kind of like when the old bull and young bull are standing on the hill over looking the heard. Well hopefully you know the rest of that story.;)

>>My silver lining is that since we lost, we no longer have to face BIG officials again this year. Surely the NCAA isn't dumb enough to select those officials for any of our potential games.

I am sure that a few of the officials that work B1G games will be working the NCAA's. But they are just not B1G officials. If you watch close you will see

the same guys working other conferences. But B1G fans think they have the worst officials, Big 12 fans think they have the worst officials, ACC fans think they have the worst officials, ETC. I all comes down to complaining about

So you would grade those officials as being competent enough to do ncaa tourney games?  And thanks for the name calling, keep it classy!  

Or, another way to put it Norm would be...

"Now, this team's interesting.  You know, we're young.  We're impulsive.  I don't know if you ever were young or impulsive.  But these guys, somebody said, oh, they're going to be like a roller coaster.  Said, no, we're going to be like an EKG. "

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/10/31/5050654/nebraskas-tim-miles-at-2013-big-ten-basketball-media-days

So you would grade those officials as being competent enough to do ncaa tourney games?  And thanks for the name calling, keep it classy!  

Maybe, and I'm just trying to keep the peace here, but maybe he meant when teams lose, it's often due to the crappy officiating, so they are losers in the sense that they lost because the officials couldn't effectively enforce the rules of the game.  :D

Honestly, referees are fallible, and we KNOW that there is such a thing as reputation calls, and home cooking. It is not possible to not be caught up in the moment and it's not possible to be 100% consistent. All I would like is for the conferences to apply some of the advanced metrics to officiating performance and quietly move the lowest performers to refereeing Kidney's games at the youth community center.

At least B1G officials aren't offered vacations for giving a coach a technical.

I'm hoping that Miles can use the circumstances of that loss to his advantage to really get this team going.

I'm also hoping that we can develop a few working inbound plays against pressure because you have to figure we will face that in our first game.  Wisconsin exposed it on Sunday and OSU highlighted the weakness yesterday.  That needs to be addressed.