I am a Tim Miles Super Fan but..........todays game?

bkamler

All in all it been a long day both at the office and as a Husker fan.

When we were up by 18 points and OSU put on the full court man to man press, after several attempts to handle it, which resulted in a total momentum changing meltdown, it was apparent that our players did not know what to do. It was obvious that we were stacking four players all within five to ten feet of the in bounds line to receive the in bounds pass and that gave the defense the advantage because they had only a small area to deny the in bounds pass.

I was disappointed that our players did not know enough to get the ball in quickly after a made basket and they did not know that the receiver of the in bounds pass needs space to receive the ball and to dribble the ball after receiving it, but what really troubles me is that after the timeout it appeared to me that either the coaches did not convey this knowledge or the players did not follow through on that that knowledge.

All in all, the OSU press and our inability to handle it was what put the game on the line at he end and we got a no call on the OSU travel, but I love this team and Tim Miles is the best coach we have ever had in my long memory.

The foul trouble definitely affected what we'd normally want to do against the press. When they made their big run from about the 10 minute mark to the 5 min mark we had shields (and maybe even Parker) on the bench. After the missed lob, we really started settling for bad outside shots. Some very early in the shot clock. At that point we had already had to spend a couple timeouts to avoid 5 second calls and it seemed like we were trying to avoid calling a timeout to stop the momentum so we'd have 1 or 2 left at the end.

Good players in foul trouble (Petteway, Shields, Parker) screwed up the flow of the game and opened the door for Ohio State. That doesn't excuse losing an 18 point lead, but it does explain it. Coaches usually don't have enough practice time to waste it on getting ready for that kind of foul trouble. Unfortunate, but this is a very good team, and i have zero doubt they bounce back.

Good players in foul trouble (Petteway, Shields, Parker) screwed up the flow of the game and opened the door for Ohio State. That doesn't excuse losing an 18 point lead, but it does explain it. Coaches usually don't have enough practice time to waste it on getting ready for that kind of foul trouble. Unfortunate, but this is a very good team, and i have zero doubt they bounce back.

Agree 100%

FWIW Walt was also playing with 3 fouls. We basically had every offensive threat we had either on the bench due to fouls or playing while trying to notget hit with one. Meanwhile Craft was allowed to play linebacker all game.