uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 32 - Ohio St. Big Ten Tourney

uneblinstu

Damn.

- There's so much that happened in this one that it's difficult to know where to start.

- Knew OSU would come out swinging to start the game and the did. Thought NU handled that well. 

- Then to be up 3 at the half was a big boost.

- NU owned the first half of the second half and I though we were off and rolling, getting up 18. NU completely controlled everything about this game. 

- The game changed when Petteway and Pitchford tried to go for the alley-oop. That probably breaks the back of OSU, but instead it led to a 3 point play for OSU. That completely changed the game right there.

- NU had a ton of trouble getting the ball into the paint after that point, too.

- What was with all the trouble getting the ball in bounds? That was bizzare. They probably don't lose the game if the get that figured out. OSU switched to face guarding after makes and NU couldn't handle it.

- I'll be interested to see how NU handles this disappointment with a week or so to think about it before their next game. They should still be in, but this is really disappointing.

- I'll let you do all do the complaining about Craft and the officials...

Yeah the alley oop was the game changer in my opinion. I'm really grasping for positives here so here's what I'll say:

- This loss allows us a weeks rest in preparation for the big dance.

- This loss keeps us in the 10-12 seed range, and we don't move up to the dreaded 8/9 line and a matchup with a 1 seed on the first weekend.

I know I'm really grasping here, but I'm just trying to get over this stomach punch of a loss and turn my focus to next weekend and a run to the Sweet 16.

Press break was embarassing.  It reminded me of three headless chickens running around.  I'm not sure what the deal was but you see better press break in middle school basketball.  No more Petteway inbounds passes.  No more Petteway on that half of the court.  He really struggles against pressure.

Also, it seemed Petteway got really frustrated and flustered when Ohio State cut the lead from 18 to 13.  I knew we could be in trouble then.  The rest of the team caught that same energy and couldn't refocus.  Then with four minutes left I thought the team started playing better with Petteway on the bench.  He came back with two left and the movement on offense went dead.

Hopefully they are already moving on from this game.

It was a disappointing game. We are watching growing pains associated with a team new to dealing with success. I'll take that versus not having success to worry about. I refuse to be upset with anything this team does the rest do the year because they've overachieved so much already. I'm enjoying the ride, whether that's the first round play in game, a second round game or the NIT. It's all awesome compared to the last couple years!

- The game changed when Petteway and Pitchford tried to go for the alley-oop. That probably breaks the back of OSU, but instead it led to a 3 point play for OSU. That completely changed the game right there.

Finally got to watch and was going to say the exact same thing.  That was a back breaker.

Not being ready for the full-court press was unforgivable, especially considering our struggles against that this season. 

Pretty mind boggling for this coaching staff.  Someone get them footage of the Doc Sadler "big man at half court" play

It was a disappointing game. We are watching growing pains associated with a team new to dealing with success. I'll take that versus not having success to worry about. I refuse to be upset with anything this team does the rest do the year because they've overachieved so much already. I'm enjoying the ride, whether that's the first round play in game, a second round game or the NIT. It's all awesome compared to the last couple years!

Yep.  This.  We never would have fathomed we'd be in this spot a month ago.  We were sweating the NIT after the Illinois loss.

One botched alley oop isn't an excuse for blowing that lead.

That alley oop didn't change the game- the excessive foul calls did.

Walt did so many great things in this game.

I look at the failed oop as the straw that broke the camels back. That was a 7 point swing over 10 seconds. The miss, easy transition and one, then in bounds stolen for a basket. I knew right then and there Ohio State would win the game.

Press break.....four across at three point line extended and attack the other team.....it's is damn near unstoppable....

You seem to be missing some vital details after how you plan on lining up.

But I have complained to a co-worker all year it isn't just our inbounds vs a full court press - it is every time we have to inbounds the ball. We seem to have one BLOB play that is effective and everything else is please let us get this in before the 5 count. 

btw - still thrilled to death with the way the season has gone.

Press break.....four across at three point line extended and attack the other team.....it's is damn near unstoppable....

But I have complained to a co-worker all year it isn't just our inbounds vs a full court press - it is every time we have to inbounds the ball. We seem to have one BLOB play that is effective and everything else is please let us get this in before the 5 count. 

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/4AcrossPressBreak.html

Not all the details and I prefer to move them to the top of the key....lots of variations off this line up...it forces spacing, and allows you to attack not be passive.

sillies. everyone knows that a good inbounds play involves holding the opponents at gunpoint until the ball can be delivered to its desired point/player and then the hostages are released upon the dribble. really, that's straight out of the Basic Coaching Manual by Alphonse Capone.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/4AcrossPressBreak.html

Not all the details and I prefer to move them to the top of the key....lots of variations off this line up...it forces spacing, and allows you to attack not be passive.

I like the four across press break (but not really any of the options on your link - IMO unecessairly complicated.) I preferred just teaching them how to break a trap instead of a specific press breaker. Find out where your opponent wants to trap and get someone under the trap, one splitting the trap & one over the trap & the goes to your basket to spread them out.

I taught how to split traps & things like the reverse x-over dribble to get traps going the wrong way but it appears to me that Nebraska's trouble is just getting it in which your four across is good at fixing. If they match up it is now a m-4-m press at least on the inbounds. I like just a point breaking hard to and then through the baseline on an arc. If they defense ends up behind even slightly the point can get the ball on the dribble already attacking. If they hold the full front stop right at they baseline & lock them up for the throw over the top. If they don't guard the ball & deploy that defender to take away this over the top pass then I would have my point stop right on the oob's line. That puts the defender out of bounds. Hit him with the ball. The rules read that coming in contact with the ball across the line can result in a technical. I realize getting hit in the butt was not the rules intent but it still counts. There was a coach who loudly proclaimed this action unsportsmanlike as we walked down to shoot the technical foul with 2 seconds left and a tie ball game. See, I have always been a little bit of an asshole.

I like having players know the rules...so if you taught your player that if they cross the line...you hit them with the ball...that is just good coaching...and poor coaching on the other guys end.

To me it is poor sportsmanship on the other coaches end to run a press where his player guards you and is out of bounds....that technical would be on him.

Also...I do believe in the rule...press a team that presses you.....teams that press always seem to struggle when you press them back on their end.

Our press break was, honestly pitiful.  The little ring around the rosy we would do before cutting was obviously not working on Craft and Della Vagina (I think that's how you spell it...).  Would have liked to see us maybe try something different.....like at all.  A simple 4 across would have worked.  Really unless Leslie was in, any of our players can reasonably handle the ball for a short period of time, so bringing the all up to help break the press makes sense.  Also could have opened up the deep ball.  Plus, setting a few screens may have helped instead of just trying to out run Aaron Craft, which is probably a poor choice...