T-E-A-M

Busy week... just caught up with the Valpo DVR.. wow.

Regardless of talent and execution, the first thing that jumps out to me is that this looks like a TEAM. There isn't a fear of being pulled. That's already a cultural difference. You can see it minute by minute in a kid like Rivers, who was being used masterfully by Miles.

For the most part, Doc's teams gave great effort defensively, but it appears Miles' teams will as well. The best word for the difference in philosophies is that Miles' defense looks very practical. I love that. It's easier to buy into something practical rather than strive to achieve something only occasionally possible. We were able to guard the 3 well. That's a nice change.

Also, despite our current lack of athletes, I really think this team has a hgih IQ. Don't overlook that. For all the good that a guy like Toney McCray brought us, we don't have any real mental liabilities out there. Even a guy like Andre--say what you want about his athletic ability, but the guy has a good bball IQ. He altered a ton of shots, which isn't a stat, unfortunately.

Lastly, how about this kid Ubel? I'm not sure we've seen that sort of development in a 4 year span outside of Maric. He has been a model student athlete. Another 20 lbs of muscle is no joke.

Other bright spots: Benny is a fantastic on-ball defender, particularly in the pick and roll. He also did a nice job managing. Rey can get an uncontested shot any time he wants with that insane elevation. I like Petlz' leadership/comraderie and passing ability.

I'm not sure how this team will compete down the road, but I'm very excited about supporting them this season. Osborne got it right.

Busy week... just caught up with the Valpo DVR.. wow.

Regardless of talent and execution, the first thing that jumps out to me is that this looks like a TEAM. There isn't a fear of being pulled. That's already a cultural difference. You can see it minute by minute in a kid like Rivers, who was being used masterfully by Miles.

For the most part, Doc's teams gave great effort defensively, but it appears Miles' teams will as well. The best word for the difference in philosophies is that Miles' defense looks very practical. I love that. It's easier to buy into something practical rather than strive to achieve something only occasionally possible. We were able to guard the 3 well. That's a nice change.

Also, despite our current lack of athletes, I really think this team has a hgih IQ. Don't overlook that. For all the good that a guy like Toney McCray brought us, we don't have any real mental liabilities out there. Even a guy like Andre--say what you want about his athletic ability, but the guy has a good bball IQ. He altered a ton of shots, which isn't a stat, unfortunately.

Lastly, how about this kid Ubel? I'm not sure we've seen that sort of development in a 4 year span outside of Maric. He has been a model student athlete. Another 20 lbs of muscle is no joke.

Other bright spots: Benny is a fantastic on-ball defender, particularly in the pick and roll. He also did a nice job managing. Rey can get an uncontested shot any time he wants with that insane elevation. I like Petlz' leadership/comraderie and passing ability.

I'm not sure how this team will compete down the road, but I'm very excited about supporting them this season. Osborne got it right.

I agree with this. There should be a lot of talent on next year's team, but not a lot of experience. Ubel and Talley will be tough losses. NU could be really good in a couple years though.