Shavon Shields

Swan88

This was the scariest thing I've seen at a sporting event. So glad he's doing okay so far.

Is there an audio clip out of Kent and Matt? I feel like if they would have been talking while Shavon was down, I would have heard them.

I heard them. That was pretty eerie being so silent and the only thing I heard was Kent's voice. From across the arena. And I know he wasn't talking that loudly.

This was the scariest thing I've seen at a sporting event. So glad he's doing okay so far.

Is there an audio clip out of Kent and Matt? I feel like if they would have been talking while Shavon was down, I would have heard them.

I heard them. That was pretty eerie being so silent and the only thing I heard was Kent's voice. From across the arena. And I know he wasn't talking that loudly.

I didn't hear Kent and Matt, I did hear the Rutgers guys, though.

if shields misses wednesday's game, will that be the first game anyone has missed due to injury?

that's pretty amazing to go 3/4 of the season completely healthy.

i know hammond/morrow were banged up, but i think they have been able to play in every game if needed.

also kind of sad our record isn't better given we've been at full strength the whole season.

if shields misses wednesday's game, will that be the first game anyone has missed due to injury?

i know hammond/morrow were banged up, but i think they have been able to play in every game if needed.

also kind of sad our record isn't better given we've been at full strength the whole season.

How many games has he missed in his career let alone in this season? He's been a remarkably healthy young man. Wish and pray for a speedy recovery and NOT just so he can get back out on the floor again.

I'm not sure what the "concussion protocol" entails but he shouldn't play Wednesday. Maybe by Saturday if given an ok by a neurologist. Doubt he will play with the same abandon for a couple of weeks but if boxers resume sparring after a ko, then he should be fine. Multiple concussions are a different story so if he has had them in the past, it may be longer before he is released. The important thing is to not rush him back too soon. My thoughts and prayers for him and family join everyone on this board who has preceded me.  

After watching it several times, I think he'll be fine.  Just got a little dinged.  Good to react as if worst case, but the shoulder takes first contact.  I wouldn't expect Wed return, but he'll be back after that.  The school has to be extra careful and will surely hold him out for a game.

How many games has he missed in his career let alone in this season? He's been a remarkably healthy young man. Wish and pray for a speedy recovery and NOT just so he can get back out on the floor again.

He missed 5 games at the start of his freshman year.

Is there a press conference today? Maybe he'll be at that

Miles will have his pre-flight conference Tuesday afternoon. After listening to the Husker Sports show tonight, I'd suspect that Shavon probably won't even travel to Wisconsin.

Agreed - didn't get the impression he would travel to Madison, even as a spectator - probably a smart decision so he can continue whatever treatment he's undergoing without interruption.

Is there a press conference today? Maybe he'll be at that

Miles will have his pre-flight conference Tuesday afternoon. After listening to the Husker Sports show tonight, I'd suspect that Shavon probably won't even travel to Wisconsin.

Agreed - didn't get the impression he would travel to Madison, even as a spectator - probably a smart decision so he can continue whatever treatment he's undergoing without interruption.

The rest and recuperation at Momma Shields' discretion.

I hope he's back soon, but this has been in the back of my mind since Saturday.  Certainly his health is the first consideration.  I'm glad the staff doesn't appear to be rushing things.

Nobody knows for certain the severity of the injury, so with that in mind, is there a possibility Shields doesn’t return, period?

“I don’t know,” Miles said. “I do not know.”

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/shields-won-t-play-at-wisconsin-return-unknown/article_9a7262fb-c954-5450-9bc7-a3a4cd04fc01.html

I know it's just been 3 days. And I know with concussions nowadays, you get put into the protocol, and from there it's a wait a see type thing. But it's still a little disappointing that they literally know nothing or at least aren't sharing. And it's super discouraging that the possibility of Shavon not returning at all has been brought up even though nobody truly knows. I'm sure Shavon has been thrown into that brain research-athletics collaboration that UNL has going on. I don't know specifics but it's something about being able to track eye movement while monitoring brain activity. Obviously, everyone wants the very best for Shavon, but it would be my hope that the research doesn't get in the way of him returning in a safe and healthy manner and according to current timeframes for what's currently understood about concussions. In other words, I don't think it would, but hopefully the research doesn't delay his return.

I know it's just been 3 days. And I know with concussions nowadays, you get put into the protocol, and from there it's a wait a see type thing. But it's still a little disappointing that they literally know nothing or at least aren't sharing. And it's super discouraging that the possibility of Shavon not returning at all has been brought up even though nobody truly knows. 

Just watched Miles' presser. Shavon isn't even going to class right now so I don't know how you come up with any sort of time table. Rosenthal asked him if he knew if Shavon was coming back this year. How can you answer that with anything but "I don't know?"

I know it's just been 3 days. And I know with concussions nowadays, you get put into the protocol, and from there it's a wait a see type thing. But it's still a little disappointing that they literally know nothing or at least aren't sharing. And it's super discouraging that the possibility of Shavon not returning at all has been brought up even though nobody truly knows.

Just watched Miles' presser. Shavon isn't even going to class right now so I don't know how you come up with any sort of time table. Rosenthal asked him if he knew if Shavon was coming back this year. How can you answer that with anything but "I don't know?"

Well, you can't and that's the discouraging part. I will be more encouraged when they are able to say something a little more upbeat even if there is no firm timetable like, 'he's coming along and we're gonna see where he is in a few days'.

Given Shavon's post Nebraska basketball aspirations both in Professional Basketball, and in the professional field (doctor i believe, or at least some with heavy basis in research since his major is Biological Science), and given all the studies in degenerative brain diseases that come from concussion and even concussion like episodes, i'm fully pro Shavon take as much time as he needs to get back to full health, and to live a healthy life.

Well, you can't and that's the discouraging part. I will be more encouraged when they are able to say something a little more upbeat even if there is no firm timetable like, 'he's coming along and we're gonna see where he is in a few days'.

I'd say be prepared to be discouraged for at least a month.