OT Deb Patterson

Bugeaters1

She's been there too long and lead them to too much success to just be kicked to the curb like that.  I hope they approached it differently than just firing her.  I hope they at least invited her to step down and assume an administrative role somewhere within the athletic department.  And I hope the reason that didn't happen is because she declined it rather than because they didn't offer it.

TCU was very competitive this year in the league.  They had a nice point guard who could score.  Not much size to compete against Texas when I saw them play in Austin.  Texas can go 6'7, 6'5 if they want.  TCU had a senior center around 6'3 that was athletic and could block shots.

• 5 weeks later...

Trouble brewing down in Manhattan?

Leticia Romero, says the Kansas State athletic department is engaging in what she called "blackmail" as she attempts to gain a release and transfer to another school. Romero, a unanimous selection to the Big 12 All-Freshman team, said her request for a release from the women's basketball team - submitted about a week ago - was recently denied.

Romero, who led K-State in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals last season, said Mittie cautioned her through team managers of her chances to win the appeal.

“I am kind of afraid of the committee because coach Mittie told some of the mangers that he did some research, and that he saw that K-State players don’t usually win appeals,” Romero said. “So he told them to tell me. I’m afraid of not having a fair committee.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-04-15/romero-compares-k-states-release-refusal-blackmail

My understanding is if she is granted the release, she can go somewhere and sit a year as a red shirt but be on scholarship, then be a sophomore eligibility wise the following year.   If they do not grant the release, she can go somewhere and red shirt and sit a year, and be a sophomore eligibility wise, but she has to pay for school herself next year when she sits out as she couldn't be on scholarship somewhere else.  That is her frustration as she is claiming she can't afford to pay her own way somewhere and sit out next year.

My understanding is if she is granted the release, she can go somewhere and sit a year as a red shirt but be on scholarship, then be a sophomore eligibility wise the following year.   If they do not grant the release, she can go somewhere and red shirt and sit a year, and be a sophomore eligibility wise, but she has to pay for school herself next year when she sits out as she couldn't be on scholarship somewhere else.  That is her frustration as she is claiming she can't afford to pay her own way somewhere and sit out next year.

That seems punitive, especially when the coach could have decided to not renew her scholarship if he'd wanted to. 

Simple question what does KSU gain by doing this? That is what I don't understand. They are saying go ahead and leave but you will have to pay for your education at the next school, correct? Is this even legal? it doesn't sound like it.

If I were an athlete looking at that school it may not be on my list any longer after this.

Maybe there is more than what meets the eye in this case. If proven true, it would not surprise me in the least, especially the second quote below.

Even more different about this case is the suspicion that one of the former coaches is actually dangling Romero as an enticement to get a new job. Note that none of these coaches have been announced as new employees at any other schools. (Shalee Lehning, a former K-State star and assistant coach under Patterson, was offered a job under new K-State coach Jeff Mittie and she turned it down.)

It's hard to recall another case of a coach using a player under scholarship as a pawn to get a new job, which shouldn't be confused with former players eventually following a coach to their new job.

That is apparently K-State's concern in this case.

One source with information about the women's program did tell GoPowercat.com that all matters regarding the women's basketball program have been slowed by someone's attempt to destroy records, both in paper and digital formats, concerning the program and its players, including their recruitment and medical histories.

Another source also stated that there was a lot going on inside the program that has been learned following Patterson's firing that has strongly reinforced the decision to fire her as coach.

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1634056