OT Deb Patterson

Bugeaters1

Thanks for the link, Row 6. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Things were toxic the last few years with Patterson. After the fallout with Kendra Wecker, it's hard to believe the K-State administration "learned" things following her firing...I suspect they didn't want to know things, as long as she was winning. Those things became a problem only after a couple of losing seasons, which is too bad. Hard to believe after things started surfacing a few years ago about Patterson that Bri Craig still chose to go there.

Things were toxic the last few years with Patterson. After the fallout with Kendra Wecker, it's hard to believe the K-State administration "learned" things following her firing...I suspect they didn't want to know things, as long as she was winning. Those things became a problem only after a couple of losing seasons, which is too bad. Hard to believe after things started surfacing a few years ago about Patterson that Bri Craig still chose to go there.

Specifically what fallout with Wecker?  Curious.

Specifically what fallout with Wecker?  Curious.

Basically after Wecker's career ended, she very publically blasted Patterson, accusing her of degrading Wecker's character and cutting her off from the Wildcat program after Wecker's career ended.  It was unbelievably public, direct, and scathing toward Patterson.  And coming from Wecker, who had a highly successful career at K-State (Big 12 POY in '05, I believe) and was a home state heroin, people took it seriously.    Perhaps Row 6 can link one of the old articles. 

I think there was a to-do about Patterson being at Wecker's jersey retirement at Marysville.  Something along the lines of Kendra not wanting her there, but she showed anyway.

I hadn't heard much of the other stuff.  She'd been gone from Marysville for a few years by then and people had finally stopped talking about her quite as much.  :)

The Kansas City Star article that Voepel wrote got taken down. From what I gathered Patterson made bible thumping a requirement of her players, and basically disowned Wrecker for daring to play softball. 

Hope Patterson bible thumps her way to retirement. Sounds like K State ain't letting her shop that frosh around as a resume enhancement.

Maybe shouldn't translate what I've seen, but shame on the KC Star for taking that down. It's not like those things take up much server space. 

Basically after Wecker's career ended, she very publically blasted Patterson, accusing her of degrading Wecker's character and cutting her off from the Wildcat program after Wecker's career ended.  It was unbelievably public, direct, and scathing toward Patterson.  And coming from Wecker, who had a highly successful career at K-State (Big 12 POY in '05, I believe) and was a home state heroin, people took it seriously.    Perhaps Row 6 can link one of the old articles. 

The original article was written by Mechelle Voepel in the Kansas City Star and for 8 days another article was printed, each day a different pieces of information came out. Like hoop_head said unfortunately those articles aren't linked any more. I went back to a thread we had 8 years ago and found these quotes other posters had quoted from the original articles. Hope you can somewhat get the gist of the article from these quotes.

I still despise the woman for the crap she pulled on the Huskers in the 2006 WNIT tournament.

At least one player, all-time leading scorer and rebounder Kendra Wecker, said Patterson and associate head coach Kamie Ethridge “degraded” her character over what Wecker believed was a minor issue and then cut her off from the program when her career ended. Others felt the coach played favorites. More than a half-dozen players and staff said they felt forced to sit through mandatory religious sessions. And miscommunication hampered the program, leading in one case to the Christmastime resignations of three team managers.

Basketball-wise, the joy I got from playing in Bramlage for my teammates and the fans, that part of it … I probably couldn’t have asked for more,” Wecker said. “But there was just a lot of extra stuff that went on that people don’t know about.

“I don’t need (Patterson or Ethridge) to help me out with basketball or anything else. If somebody brings all this up, I’ll tell them how I feel now because I think that I can. Because I’m done. And they’re obviously done with me.”

“I sat through meetings that were hours and hours long, every day during finals week,” Wecker said. “They were about degrading my character and how the decision I made to play softball was selfish and went against every core value of the program. I failed one final; I didn’t even study for them. I was stressed to the max.”

Patterson said it wasn't my perception that attendance at chapel in those seasons was mandatory. I don't honestly remember all the details, she said. I've always been under the assumption that players needed to attend the pregame meal, and it was understood that anything extra they wanted to do was up to them.

Now the issue on the managers was that Patterson was mad at them for forgetting some details when they went on the road to Missouri St before they went to New York for a holiday tournament. She purchased tickets for the managers to come home after they landed not telling anyone.

The managers flew home the day after Christmas, and K-State administrative assistant Kathy Bettencourt picked them up at Kansas City International airport. The managers said Bettencourt was crying when they arrived. She had to purchase the tickets for Patterson a week earlier and had not been able to tell the three. As for bringing them on a trip despite having already purchased tickets for them to be sent home, she said, There are going to be times I make decisions that are good, productive decisions, and there are times in retrospect you say, Maybe that wasn't the perfect decision.

The managers say they did tasks such as moving furniture at the home Patterson and Ethridge share, picking up dry cleaning, buying groceries and taking care of the coaches’ dogs.

“I’ve never been in an abusive relationship in my personal life, but that’s what it felt like,” said Donease Smith, a basketball operations director who resigned in 2005

I am amazed she lasted as long as she did also. I have always felt the KSU

athletics are a lot like a cult and as long as you are winning everything is

fine. And Patterson could always pull something out like winning the WNIT whenthey had a losing Big 12 record.

Also until recently she usually had a local star like Wecker or Lehning to keep the fans excited. The KSU fans also think that Voepal has it in for them even though she is one the best WBB writers around. This comes from the expo Voepalwrote many years ago about the religious and sexual orientation of Patterson's staff.

I really started to dislike Patterson about five years ago. It was the game where K-State scored a lay-up at the buzzer to win by one. Patterson instead of

allowing the team a reasonable celebration and then head to locker room,she

allowed them to stay on the floor celebrating and generally rubbing the win in

our faces for many minutes.

I am amazed she lasted as long as she did also. I have always felt the KSU

athletics are a lot like a cult and as long as you are winning everything is

fine. And Patterson could always pull something out like winning the WNIT when they had a losing Big 12 record.

Also until recently she usually had a local star like Wecker or Lehning to keep the fans excited. The KSU fans also think that Voepal has it in for them even though she is one the best WBB writers around. This comes from the expo Voepal wrote many years ago about the religious and sexual orientation of Patterson's staff.

I really started to dislike Patterson about five years ago. It was the game where K-State scored a lay-up at the buzzer to win by one. Patterson instead of

allowing the team a reasonable celebration and then head to locker room,she

allowed them to stay on the floor celebrating and generally rubbing the win in

our faces for many minutes.

When I read that Patterson and Ethridge shared a house, I wondered if there was something odd with those circumstances. But how did she get away with forcing the religion down the players throat. Patterson says that the players had a choice in not going to the pregame prayer session. But I wonder if any of the players would have gotten to play or have been suspended had they not.

When I read that Patterson and Ethridge shared a house, I wondered if there was something odd with those circumstances. But how did she get away with forcing the religion down the players throat. Patterson says that the players had a choice in not going to the pregame prayer session. But I wonder if any of the players would have gotten to play or have been suspended had they not.

No, I doubt anything odd.  My guess is that they figured they would be at KSU for awhile and decided they'd rather own than rent.  Nothing odd about that.

Speaking of Angela Beck, she's coaching high school girls in Texas now.

http://www.kvue.com/sports/Cedar-Ridge-girls-basketball-becoming-a-Central-Texas-power-quickly-187063611.html

Sounds like she's enjoying herself.

Norm, she coaches at Round Rock Cedar Ridge, a relatively new H.S.  They did very well this year and the Senior to be Higgs girl is already a Texas commit.  

Wow.  Kansas State is getting a well-deserved black eye over not releasing Romero.  Well-deserved. 

Their own handbook says they only grant releases if the denial would result in undue hardship.  How would this not result in undue hardship?  Without a release, she would have to pay out-of-pocket for out-of-state tuition to any school she would transfer to and because she's from Spain and not a U.S. Citizen, she wouldn't be eligible for any government grants or financial aid.

That sounds pretty harsh to me.

I wonder how many student athletes have been granted releases by Kansas State University over the years.  I wonder how many of them had hardships that were truly hard.

If I were her, I'd get vindictive.  I'd look at KSU's future schedule and transfer somewhere that I knew I'd be playing KSU as many times as possible.

If she spends a year in junior college, I wonder if rules about transferring within conference still apply.  So, maybe she could go to a juco for a year and then transfer to KU.