Most encouraging thing

royalfan

Valpo wasn't stacked with athletes and they were running some weave. Everyone does it at least a little bit. It actually allows less quick players some room to turn the corner that they couldn't do without help.

I do think everyone's perspective is clouded by us actually winning the game. I thought the defensive effort was great. On one possession we had three players hit the floor to save a ball. Valpo is a better shooting team than they showed. Whether it was the 7:00 AM game or not, they will usually hit more of those than they did. I think some of the people talking scheme are actually reflecting the outcome, not the game plan.

First, Valpo took some horrendous shots they didn't need to. Second, they missed open threes they made last year. And three, the most concerning to me is that they got an inordinate number of uncontested or moderately contested lay-ups for playing a D-1 team. Our defensive rotations were simply too slow in coming to cut off the driving lanes.

Count the lay-ups they made and then add 6 uncontested lay-ups I counted on my second viewing (and I wasn't paying that close of attention, my boys wanted to watch the game), and that is way too many. I think we are going to have some fun under Miles and have some success, but against Valpo we got lucky. With a seven minute drought and giving up that many lay-ups you shouldn't win a D-1 college ball game. We can learn from that. It is always better to be given an opportunity to learn what you need to fix and still get the W. Usually those two things don't happen at the same time.

Since I am the only one that mentioned schemes, I can say you couldn't be more wrong. I am the furthest thing from results oriented there is. A couple other people discussed the specifics of the pick and roll defense. I don't know who exactly talking specifics was basing anything on results. I know for sure I don't. But you admitted you didn't watch the game very closely, so perhaps you were being a bit too results oriented in watching Valpo miss a couple threes.

Since I am the only one that mentioned schemes, I can say you couldn't be more wrong. I am the furthest thing from results oriented there is. A couple other people discussed the specifics of the pick and roll defense. I don't know who exactly talking specifics was basing anything on results. I know for sure I don't. But you admitted you didn't watch the game very closely, so perhaps you were being a bit too results oriented in watching Valpo miss a couple threes.

And I can say you're really wrong. I've been more wrong on many occasions.