Senior Day: Peltz Starting Or Not?

hhcdave

Start Peltz over Webster. In all reality, you're not losing any points by starting Peltz because Webster gives you almost zero points for the second half of the season game in and game out. Any Peltz can play defense as good as Webster for a couple of minutes.

Biggest game of the last few decades and you want to bench your starter for a walkon that's played probably 20 minutes all season. What??????

Start Peltz over Webster. In all reality, you're not losing any points by starting Peltz because Webster gives you almost zero points for the second half of the season game in and game out. Any Peltz can play defense as good as Webster for a couple of minutes.

Biggest game of the last few decades and you want to bench your starter for a walkon that's played probably 20 minutes all season. What??????

ya i couldnt agree more .......this is a bad post.....telling miles to do something because thats how collier and sadler did it is the most idiotic thing ive ever heard........ahahahahhahahahahah,  i wouldnt even let sadler wipe miles you know what lol,  sadler is a joke compared to miles

FWIW, Wisconsin's starting 3 guards run 6'1", 6'2", and 6'3" so height-wise it wouldn't be a complete mismatch.

I'd be pretty surprised if Peltz started though I won't be upset if he does. If Peltz starts it's because he's showing enough in practice and I doubt Wisconsin has any scout on him.  Indiana had to check to make sure Hawkins was a student the first time they played.

Will Ray start?  I'd be surprised if he doesn't.  Wisconsin doesn't have the height out there where you absolutely need River's length.  Since Miles likes playing them together, does Parker start if Ray does?

Start Peltz over Webster.  In all reality, you're not losing any points by starting Peltz because Webster gives you almost zero points for the second half of the season game in and game out.  Any Peltz can play defense as good as Webster for a couple of minutes.

Wow

Absolutely not.  In a game where 1 point (or even 1 team foul that ends up causing a point later) can make the difference between us going to the Dance for the first time in 15 years or not, you start with your best 5.

Too important of a game to mess with silly things like starting seniors just because.

I say let him start. He's not completely inept. It's not like we're talking about starting Menke or Kye. Sorry Menke and Kye. So ya, start Peltz, take him out at the first dead ball and let the crowd cheer on the bro.

Also, didn't Pletz get a scholarship at the semester?

I say let him start. He's not completely inept. It's not like we're talking about starting Menke or Kye. Sorry Menke and Kye. So ya, start Peltz, take him out at the first dead ball and let the crowd cheer on the bro.

Menke's had a scholarship for two years.

Nope.

Menke had it last year.

This year it wasn't filled in the first half.

We would have given it to Worthington from Georgetown or a mid-semester transfer.

When that didn't pan out it was give to Peltz.  He is technically a scholarship player.

Hell No, you don't start Peltz for one of the biggest games in program history.

I remember Doc starting Ben Nelson on senior night against a bad Colorado team, and we got our butts kicked. 

Besides, Peltz was only here for 2 years, it's not like he gave 4-5 years to the program.

this is mind boggling crazy if the people wanting to start peltz are serious.....so if wisconsin comes out and gets up 8-2, or 5-0 or whatever and we have to play from behind for 10 minutes or whole first half you think it was worth it,  this isnt the ymca.......unrealllllll some of you are sayn this.......for one thing being down 6 to wisconsin is almost like being down 15 to a different team, the way they play and sit on the ball and make u defend and take high percentage shots means than get up 6 early and they will probably be ahead most of the entire first half unless they go completely cold, but they play 5 guys who can knock down shots......secondly even if you can argue peltz wouldnt "hurt us" for two minutes,  who knows how that will disrupt the rythm of they guys who normally start but are now coming off the bench.......you start your best 5,  this thread should b deleted , makes our fan base look ignorant

furthermore the "us always" mindset means that nothing is bigger than the team, starting on sr night is not more important than maximizing the teams opportunity to make the trny, the guys will understand.........its no guarantee we will be in this situation again nxt yr or in the near future.....so how is it fair for the guys who have earned there startn spots and helped get us to this position to be benched from starting in the biggest game in school history so someone walkon has a story for his grandkids  ,   thats funnyyyyyyyyyy ahahahahahhahaha wowwwwwwwwww  cmonnnnnnnn people

Nope.

Menke had it last year.

This year it wasn't filled in the first half.

We would have given it to Worthington from Georgetown or a mid-semester transfer.

When that didn't pan out it was give to Peltz.  He is technically a scholarship player.

Huh.

I guess since I never heard it was revoked (not the right word) that I thought he still had it.

I don't pay a lot of attention to scholly numbers, so I guess I figured there was another one (not Menke's) we didn't use and gave to Peltz.

A. He's not a walk-on. He started that way, but was awarded a scholarship, presumably not for having the best hair on the team. So technically, while he occupies basically a walk-on role, he is not without the validation of a scholarship.

B. He contributes more than we give him credit for. Maybe not on the court during games with points and rebounds, but Terran isn't as tough without someone tough pushing him.

C. Although there is no guarantee that we will be in this position again in the near future, I guess I would certainly hope we would be. That's the whole reason of firing Doc and hiring Miles, isn't it? To be in precisely this spot (or better)?

D. It's not a ludicrous proposition and the thread shouldn't be deleted. It's valid conversation.

Believe me when I say that I have just as much invested in this team as anyone here, but I also wouldn't laugh off the idea of Peltz starting, or the guys rallying around that (Us Always should extend to the bench, should it not?). Would I do it personally, if I were the coach? No, probably not. But I also don't think it's so crazy as not to consider it duly first.

Ultimately, it's Miles' call, and could go either way. Personnel decisions are up to the coaching staff, not us, but it's fun to talk about, much in the same way the offseason is filled with prognostications of who will start, even without seeing a single minute of in-game action. Further, civil disagreement is what makes this a great message board. Laughing at, belittling, or invalidating someone's opinion, simply because they disagree with you, takes away from that atmosphere. I thought we were above that. 

If the first sniff of big success makes you change who you are for the worse, than the 'success' isn't.

If the tradition is to start the seniors, you start the seniors. You can take them out quickly. But you don't let *any* game taint your character.

I'm not sure we've ever made it a practice to start 2nd year walk-ons on senior night.  Just out of curiosity, did Tony Wilbrand start on senior night?  Anyone know?  Because he was a 4-year guy.  Same thing with Bronson Schliep.  

I mean, if we're going to start walk-ons on senior night, then next year, we're looking at starting Leslie Smith, David Rivers, Kye Kurkowski and Trevor Menke on senior night.  Along with probably Terran Petteway.  Somehow, I just don't see that happening.

If the first sniff of big success makes you change who you are for the worse, than the 'success' isn't.

If the tradition is to start the seniors, you start the seniors. You can take them out quickly. But you don't let *any* game taint your character.

I'm not sure we've ever made it a practice to start 2nd year walk-ons on senior night.  Just out of curiosity, did Tony Wilbrand start on senior night?  Anyone know?  Because he was a 4-year guy.  Same thing with Bronson Schliep.  

I mean, if we're going to start walk-ons on senior night, then next year, we're looking at starting Leslie Smith, David Rivers, Kye Kurkowski and Trevor Menke on senior night.  Along with probably Terran Petteway.  Somehow, I just don't see that happening.

Wilband and Schliep both started on senior night in '06 against Kansas State.  We got in a large hole early, and ended up losing by 2.  I remember leaving the arena furious with Collier, because I thought we still had a shot at an at-large bid until that loss.