Recruiting Expectations

Another thing to consider -  with the season we've had, and Petteway and everyone else coming back next year - we should get a lot more ESPN games, and maybe even a couple CBS games.  We will likely be picked to finish in the Top 4 of the conference, so we won't be relegated to BTN or ESPNU every game.  We will get much more National TV exposure, which should help recruiting.

I can't wait to see who we schedule next year.  Miles isn't afraid to play anyone, anything to bring attention to the program.  I'd love to see something like a game against KU in Kansas City.  Or how about a 2-for-1 deal with Duke or Kentucky or UNC?  Now that we are gaining some respectability, I think these are realistic possibilities.

I don't see a system. I just don't, not in basketball.

Read about Wisconsin basketball.

They have a style of basketball and they recruit guys to fill that style.

Recruiting to a "system" or "style" doesn't automatically mean lower rated recruits.  Wisconsin landed Vitto Brown over us.

Did you watch the game Sunday? Wisconsin is one of 300 plus schools. Wisconsin recruiting is leaps and bounds better than Nebraska for recruiting, go look at the rankings. They have a guy in Dekker who is a projected lottery pick.

Nebraska was able to get to the lane at ease and score on Wisconsin. This is what Miles wants, top athletes with top skill guys. It's easy to have a system when you have multiple top 150 players in your state.

Miles has a system and or a style, he calls it winning. He has said this, whatever it takes to win. He also said he wants to play man on D and motion on offense. They have some wisky guys like Fuller, who is fundental and can shoot. Not sure of foot speed for D but a solid prospect.

Sunday Wisconsin didn't have an answer for the athletes we had. We can out athlete everyone but it will continue to get better.

The future 150 site has 2 top 50 players in Wisconsin, 3 in top 100 and 5 total in top 150. Nebraska may get one in the top 150 every few years. I want Wisconsin like success but I researched the game last night and late in the game TP back pedals Kaminsky to the hoop for the kiss off the glass to extend lead, I want that.

Did you watch the game Sunday? Wisconsin is one of 300 plus schools. Wisconsin recruiting is leaps and bounds better than Nebraska for recruiting, go look at the rankings. They have a guy in Dekker who is a projected lottery pick.

Nebraska was able to get to the lane at ease and score on Wisconsin. This is what Miles wants, top athletes with top skill guys. It's easy to have a system when you have multiple top 150 players in your state.

Wisconsin sucked at basketball from 1959-1995.

How did they turn into a basketball powerhouse?

http://board.huskerhoopscentral.com/topic/3071-history-of-wisconsin-basketball/

Miles has a system and or a style, he calls it winning. He has said this, whatever it takes to win. He also said he wants to play man on D and motion on offense.

Will Miles change his preferred style to win games? You betcha.

Are you telling me that Miles wants to play man D and motion on offense and wants guys that run these things?  How exactly is that not a system?

Once again, system doesn't have to mean "lesser players".

Because every coach has a system. The thread title is recruiting expectations. If your expectation is to recruit to a system, every coach does so, right?

Doc didn't. It was his downfall. He had no plan for what sort of team he wanted to put together and if he had one, he didn't execute that plan. Of course you need talent, I'm not saying you don't, but you can't just recruit highly ranked guys and throw them on the floor. Kentucky's trying it and it's not really working well. If they kept those guys together for a couple of years they might be a dynasty. The one year they did win it all, they bought into Calipari's plan.  When you get to a point like Wisconsin or Michigan or Michigan St. or Duke or Kansas where you have success over a period of time, you can get high level players to plug into that system and that's when you become a program. Establish an identity, build a system, recruit the most talented players you can that fit what you want to do. You saw hit here what happened when you removed a very talented player that didn't fit the system.

Miles has a system and or a style, he calls it winning. He has said this, whatever it takes to win. He also said he wants to play man on D and motion on offense.

Will Miles change his preferred style to win games? You betcha.

Are you telling me that Miles wants to play man D and motion on offense and wants guys that run these things?  How exactly is that not a system?

Once again, system doesn't have to mean "lesser players".

Also, I'll say that style and identity are two different things.

Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Georgetown, K all perennially top 10-15 teams that use a system a recruit with that

Duke-smart cerebral players who play a unselfish brand of basketball, and are high character athletes, Jabari Parker falls into their system thus why he is in their program.

NC- fast guards who can push and shoot the 3, athletic 4 and 5 who can run the floor, and be physical in the middle, they so happen to recruit pretty well in the top 150 finding their types of kids

Cuse-long lean, athletes, play multiple spots, and are unselfish on offense, always has one or two dead eye 3 point shooters, and a cerebral PG
GTOWN- Big man who can pass, guards that know how to cut, smart players, high character

These are all top programs, that recruit to a system or identity, that recruit top 200, and compete for national championships.

Bobby Knight said you have a system that you modify to emphasis the strength of the players you have in the system right now. He played man but adjusted his pick up point based on the players in the program. Quick feet he picks up at 92 feet, slow feet and he picks up at 18 feet. Sort of the pack-line defense before there was an official pack line.