Nebraska high school talent

We make things too complicated now. When I was in grade school I used to keep the score of my dad's high school games with a big piece of chalk and a blackboard because the electronic scoreboard was blocked for some people by the balcony overhang. And I did just fine-except when I would get caught up in the game and forget to mark up a few baskets. When the gym was sold out they had to send soda pops up to the balcony in metal pails. What was the point I was trying to make???  I forgot.

We make things too complicated now. When I was in grade school I used to keep the score of my dad's high school games with a big piece of chalk and a blackboard because the electronic scoreboard was blocked for some people by the balcony overhang. And I did just fine-except when I would get caught up in the game and forget to mark up a few baskets. When the gym was sold out they had to send soda pops up to the balcony in metal pails. What was the point I was trying to make???  I forgot.

Jimmy, how was that walk to school bare footed in the snow up hill both ways?

I kid because I care.:)

Sometimes people suck because they aren't forced to not suck. Off the government tit, for example. I've heard of research that says that it doesn't matter how long people are allowed to receive unemployment because most people don't really start looking for a job until the benefits are about out. And, maybe the same is true for sucky high school hoops in Nebraska. They suck because they can. If you imposed a shot clock and only gave them 35 seconds to find a bad shot, they'd find just as good of bad shots as they do when they have an unlimited amount of time to find bad shots. And maybe even better bad shots. They'd probably learn better ball movement and better movement without the ball because they'd have to.

Necessity is the mother of invention. "Because I have to" often produces results. Constraints force ingenuity.

If you gave teams unlimited time to inbound the ball, you'd never see really good in-bounds plays.

On one of his radio shows, Miles even talked about how you can see a lot of great things the NBA does in moving the ball around and finding open looks with a short clock.

Wherever you set the bar, most people will do only enough to get over it. Raise the bar and people will still do just enough to get over it but they'll have to work harder (and be better) to get there.

I'd like to see a high school shot clock. JMOO.

Well said, Norm!

One thing not yet mentioned in this heightened discussion is, well...height.  What sort of crazy genetic activity is going on in this state?  I have noticed that there is no "shortage" of girls over 6'0" tall on the volleyball and basketball rosters at nearly every Class A school, many of the Class B schools, and at several of the smaller schools.  I haven't studied growth charts, and I realize that humans are becoming taller on average, but it seems to me that anything over 6'0" is still exceptionally tall for a girl. Tall girls from Nebraska are on the rosters of many top D-1 volleyball and basketball schools throughout the country.  Boys don't play high school sanctioned volleyball in Nebraska, so tall boys should naturally gravitate only to basketball.  Where are they?  To be on par with their female counterparts, shouldn't there be several boys at least 6"7" or taller running around the cornfields?  I don't see too many of them playing high school basketball, at least none of them that can match the coordination and athleticism of the girls.  The only tall player I'm aware of in the entire state this year that has a D-1 offer, is the kid from Fremont.  Am I wrong?

One thing not yet mentioned in this heightened discussion is, well...height.  What sort of crazy genetic activity is going on in this state?  I have noticed that there is no "shortage" of girls over 6'0" tall on the volleyball and basketball rosters at nearly every Class A school, many of the Class B schools, and at several of the smaller schools.  I haven't studied growth charts, and I realize that humans are becoming taller on average, but it seems to me that anything over 6'0" is still exceptionally tall for a girl. Tall girls from Nebraska are on the rosters of many top D-1 volleyball and basketball schools throughout the country.  Boys don't play high school sanctioned volleyball in Nebraska, so tall boys should naturally gravitate only to basketball.  Where are they?  To be on par with their female counterparts, shouldn't there be several boys at least 6"7" or taller running around the cornfields?  I don't see too many of them playing high school basketball, at least none of them that can match the coordination and athleticism of the girls.  The only tall player I'm aware of in the entire state this year that has a D-1 offer, is the kid from Fremont.  Am I wrong?

And many are very athletic at 6foot or taller. At one time there were some tall girls around but were very unathletic.

Going back to the GPA issue - I attended the parents' meeting for track and field at our school this week.  The head coach stood up front and said that if a student has a D or F in ANY class, then they are sitting out and having to attend academic help sessions.  He spent a lot of time talking about academics.

There are other tall players in the state, here are some that I can think of.  Kimball has Miike Daum who is 6'8" and signed to play at D-1 South Dakota St. Omaha North has a player that is 6'10".  The Moon kid is 6'8". Elliason's brother is 6'7" and I beleive going to play football at Chadron St.  There is a 6'8" freshman on Scottsbluff's roster who plays for them and they qualified for state.

Going back to the GPA issue - I attended the parents' meeting for track and field at our school this week.  The head coach stood up front and said that if a student has a D or F in ANY class, then they are sitting out and having to attend academic help sessions.  He spent a lot of time talking about academics.

Our school has an eligibility rule.  Any kid with two or more classes below a 63% (D) can't participate in any extra curricular activities (athletics, drama, dances, etc).

Looking at box scores and watching high school games the last few years was curious if anyone had any reasons for the lack of D1mens high school talent in Nebraska now compared to 20 years ago.(Strickland, Woolridge, Brandt, Vogel, Chubick, Badget, Mason, Glock, Markowski, Redhage, Hahn, Mitchell) There seems to plenty of D2 players being produced but not any D1's. The girls produce tons of D1 talent in both basketball and volleyball but the men are down in all sports but wrestling? Is this a youth development problem or just a population issue?

I'll try. There are only so many places at the table that is called major college ball. Having said that there is not only good talent but some of it outstanding. There is a real problem with High School sports. Star power is it. Refs are only slightly worse than B1G and pro refs. I personally have seen talent that is real in all classes of basketball in Nebraska. Some of it might work for Nebraska but not all of it. The player you mentioned were from years of good talent. Most were not from the same year but close. I really don't believe geographic or player development have much to do with so much as visibility. Go to the camps invite Tim and others to their clinics and maybe they will notice or have helpful insight. Why try to mold Nebraska High School ball after the national programs? Is there a stat to try and determine if AAU athletes are better recruits than other avenues? Even if there is, so what. What is ball without an identity? I watched a game where everyone in town was able to shoot and make three point shot after shot. Talk about identity. None of them went on to major college basketball. What is my point? How to get noticed without being a pain in the rear. tux

My reply would be then if those kids are just flying under the radar why aren't all the D2 and NAIA schools winning conference and national championships with all these kids that got overlooked by 300+ D1 schools.

Coaching, facilities period. tux

Why try to mold Nebraska High School ball after the national programs? Is there a stat to try and determine if AAU athletes are better recruits than other avenues? 

You're aware that the state of Nebraska has several AAU teams, right?

Yes I am and most if not all of the D1 talent comes from those programs because of exposure. It is an elitist program for sure. Can you state for certain that all the best talent is on those teams. Maybe yes but more that likely is is the best developed talent. My point. tux

Our school has an eligibility rule.  Any kid with two or more classes below a 63% (D) can't participate in any extra curricular activities (athletics, drama, dances, etc).

If 63% is a D, what do you have to do to fail?

Sixty or below.

Sixty or below.

Call me old school but I think you should have to reach a descent freethrow shooting percentage before you can pass a class.

I know this is girls basketball, but here's another example of why shot clock is needed.

http://kearneysportshub.tumblr.com/post/78821831115/holdreges-foul-strategy-leads-to-comeback-ot-win

Don't agree with either strategy, but teams shouldn't be wasting time already in the third quarter

Wow. York's coach with some nice back-handed compliments at the end of the article. Sour grapes indeed.

I know this is girls basketball, but here's another example of why shot clock is needed.

http://kearneysportshub.tumblr.com/post/78821831115/holdreges-foul-strategy-leads-to-comeback-ot-win

Don't agree with either strategy, but teams shouldn't be wasting time already in the third quarter

Wow. York's coach with some nice back-handed compliments at the end of the article. Sour grapes indeed.

Yeah no kidding.