Damnnnn

we landed a top 150 recruit...plus if you consider the production/promise from are last two classes (shields, parker recruits carried over from pervious regime; Hawkins, Webster finding their roles future looks promissing, fuller redshirted, smith huge suprise; and Petteway, and Pitchford transfers) im pretty with are classes, we are active in the top 2015 kids, with the potential for some sleepers in 2014...always look on the postive side...We hosted numerous top 150 recruits, almots snagged the pesky one big man away (ER) and could still get a look from Rustic, if some things dont work out....TM is doing what needs to be done, and i have full faith in what will come GO BIG RED!

and not to forget, even though it was only a visit...the #1 recruit  in the nation came to NU on a unofficial visit, and liked us for a hot mintue, he isnt coming here, rather going to spend a year at duke but for a split second, and a few weeks, the #1 recruit said we had some top notch attractions. I still like where this ship is headed, it isnt rudderless, and sinking as it was in the last decade.

and not to forget, even though it was only a visit...the #1 recruit  in the nation came to NU on a unofficial visit, and liked us for a hot mintue, he isnt coming here, rather going to spend a year at duke but for a split second, and a few weeks, the #1 recruit said we had some top notch attractions. I still like where this ship is headed, it isnt rudderless, and sinking as it was in the last decade.

While it sounds nice that had nothing to do with Miles and everything to do with a promise made to Chin to bring out some Chicago kids.  Notice not a one has visited NU since he left except for Morrow and thats because he has ties to Lincoln.

While it sounds nice that had nothing to do with Miles and everything to do with a promise made to Chin to bring out some Chicago kids.  Notice not a one has visited NU since he left except for Morrow and thats because he has ties to Lincoln.

miles still brought him on staff, after he left, we replaced him with others who have stong recruting capabilites,and have made some considerable inroads, with more top 150 recruits, im just using this IMO to take the oppsitie view of the OP and reflect on the postive steps we've taken.

Yes go look at the juco pg chins just pulled back from Texas. He was a former Mac Irvin fire kid.

Go look what smu has done in recruiting in year 2.

they signed a 5 star from Texas.  They also pay their assistant coach more than any other assistant coach in basketball history.  Their assistant coach makes more than Hunter, Smith, and Harriman combined and thats just for one guy.  If NU was paying for those type of connections I'd expect the same level of talent coming in otherwise we'd be calling for some heads to roll.

Yes go look at the juco pg chins just pulled back from Texas. He was a former Mac Irvin fire kid.

Go look what smu has done in recruiting in year 2.

they signed a 5 star from Texas.  They also pay their assistant coach more than any other assistant coach in basketball history.  Their assistant coach makes more than Hunter, Smith, and Harriman combined and thats just for one guy.  If NU was paying for those type of connections I'd expect the same level of talent coming in otherwise we'd be calling for some heads to roll.

You forgot to mention the living legend they have for a coach.

Chin was not long for this program.  Part of that is Chin not being a small town Nebraska kind of guy.  Part of that is the University compliance people deciding that we couldn't grandfather his time at CSU onto the number of years he'd have to be out before he could recruit his old team.  So, back off the disappointment with Miles.  Come in from the window.  For being fans of a team picked to finish last in the conference this season, it would seem to me people shouldn't be looking for things to complain about.

It isn't looking for a reason to complain. It is reality. In coaching transitions year 2-3 is the recruiting class a coach needs to hit on.

It would be nice but normally only happens that quickly if the coach takes a short cut, like Bob Huggins did at K State. The model I use for building a program, while following the rules, is Connie Yori.

2001-2 14-16 Last year under Paul Sanderford

2002-3 8-20 Connie's first year

2003-4 18-12 WNIT

2004-5 18-14 WNIT

2005-6 19-13 WNIT

2006-7 22-10 and her first NCAA appearance.

And she's had two losing seasons since then, in 2008-9 when Kelsey Griffith was injured and 2010-11 the year after Kelsey left.

I think people underestimate how difficult it is to turn a program around! It takes time. First you demonstrate you can coach players up and win with marginal talent, then the good ones start to come to you. Actually, that just happened for Connie for the first time this year!

Not gonna lie a bit disappointed with how recruiting is going. 2015 has to be a big year. I pray we get a guy like Morrow but their is no guarantees. I know we are out w Grandstaff and a guy who we had a shot at we don't have much of a shot. We really need to land a big fish, either a recruit or transfer.

A couple things with this thread. Going back to the original post, I think it's okay to be disappointed with how recruiting is going while at the same time being patient and having the understanding that it's a process that takes time. It's possible to be disappointed AND understand that good things are happening.

I'm disappointed every time another player we are recruiting picks a different school. But I also recognize the uptick in talent already on the team because of Miles and the positive recruiting buzz coach has created. We've had a higher level of recruit consistently checking out the program. The type of recruits never before seen around these parts prior to Miles. But it's easy to get frustrated, get disappointed, but it also seems quickly forgotten that we did get Hammond. He's the first rivals150 ever. That's a start. I think we will wrap up the 2014 class and everyone will be very pleased at the talent we are adding. Miles is building this from the ground up.

I think people's expectations are a little to high for Miles and staff in only their 2nd year.  Were you expecting him to be signing kids over Duke or KU?  I think it's been nothing short of amazing the kids he's been able to sign in his short time here and the national attention he is drawing to this program. That is getting talented kids we've never even thought about, at least visiting the campus.  We can't sign all of them.  We have kids like Trey Dickerson who everyone is after and we are in his top 3.  Yes, it's disappointing if we lose them but again, it's only been 2 years under Coach Miles.  Rome was built in a day......

I think people's expectations are a little to high for Miles and staff in only their 2nd year.  Were you expecting him to be signing kids or Duke or KU?  I think it's been nothing short of amazing the kids he's been able to sign in his short time here and the national attention he is drawing to this program. That is leading to kids we've never of at least visiting the campus.  We can sign all of them.  We have kids like Trey Dickerson who everyone is after and we are in his top 3.  Yes, it's disappointing if we lose them but again, it's only been 2 years under Coach Miles.  Rome was built in a day......

It's only disappointing because we've been in on some good talent and lost out. If not, I think we'd be pretty happy with Petteway, Pitch, Hawkins, Fuller and Hammond. That in and of itself is really promising. Eventually we're going to get these guys.

I think people's expectations are a little to high for Miles and staff in only their 2nd year.  Were you expecting him to be signing kids or Duke or KU?  I think it's been nothing short of amazing the kids he's been able to sign in his short time here and the national attention he is drawing to this program. That is leading to kids we've never of at least visiting the campus.  We can sign all of them.  We have kids like Trey Dickerson who everyone is after and we are in his top 3.  Yes, it's disappointing if we lose them but again, it's only been 2 years under Coach Miles.  Rome was built in a day......

It's only disappointing because we've been in on some good talent and lost out. If not, I think we'd be pretty happy with Petteway, Pitch, Hawkins, Fuller and Hammond. That in and of itself is really promising. Eventually we're going to get these guys.

"We've been in on some good talent and lost out." That's the disappointment?! Losing out on hotly-pursued recruits happens to every team out there. Read the Iowa message boards, for example--same song, same verse. Kansas fans complain about this. Louisville fans complain about this, as do Kentucky fans. A better standard is the quality of recruits we are pursuing, whether the best ones we pursue seriously consider Nebrasketball, and the quality of the ones we land. And even then, the quality of a player like Leslee Smith does not become apparent to us internet genius folks until the next season is underway.

I think people's expectations are a little to high for Miles and staff in only their 2nd year. Were you expecting him to be signing kids or Duke or KU? I think it's been nothing short of amazing the kids he's been able to sign in his short time here and the national attention he is drawing to this program. That is leading to kids we've never of at least visiting the campus. We can sign all of them. We have kids like Trey Dickerson who everyone is after and we are in his top 3. Yes, it's disappointing if we lose them but again, it's only been 2 years under Coach Miles. Rome was built in a day......

"We've been in on some good talent and lost out." That's the disappointment?! Losing out on hotly-pursued recruits happens to every team out there. Read the Iowa message boards, for example--same song, same verse. Kansas fans complain about this. Louisville fans complain about this, as do Kentucky fans. A better standard is the quality of recruits we are pursuing, whether the best ones we pursue seriously consider Nebrasketball, and the quality of the ones we land. And even then, the quality of a player like Leslee Smith does not become apparent to us internet genius folks until the next season is underway.
Agreed, but I think you missed the point of my post. I'm happy with how things have gone. In the past, we wouldn't even have been in on these guys. But that doesn't mean you feel OK with missing out on the top talents. It still hurts to be close to landing these guys. It's great that Miles and Co. have us in this position already. As I said, being in on these guys is a promising development in and of itself. Things are looking up, and we're going to get these guys soon.

I don't want to be outrecruited by Northwestern.  We'll have to see how that plays out over 3-5 years, but right now Collins is having more success than Miles.  I know there's a lot that goes into recruiting that helps NU and hurts Nebraska, but I'll be using them as somewhat of a benchmark for at least a few years.

For reference: http://rivals.yahoo.com/northwestern/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2014

I don't want to be outrecruited by Northwestern.  We'll have to see how that plays out over 3-5 years, but right now Collins is having more success than Miles.  I know there's a lot that goes into recruiting that helps NU and hurts Nebraska, but I'll be using them as somewhat of a benchmark for at least a few years.

For reference: http://rivals.yahoo.com/northwestern/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2014

That's an impressive haul and Northwestern is definitely on the way up.  

Don't our last 4 freshmen have the same number of stars? (Webster, Fuller, Hawkins, Hammonds)

I don't want to be outrecruited by Northwestern. We'll have to see how that plays out over 3-5 years, but right now Collins is having more success than Miles. I know there's a lot that goes into recruiting that helps NU and hurts Nebraska, but I'll be using them as somewhat of a benchmark for at least a few years.

For reference: http://rivals.yahoo.com/northwestern/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2014

Their two best players are within 30 minutes of campus. They also have 5 commits to NU's one so of course they will be ranked higher due to sheer volume.