New recruit PG TARIN SMITH

I wonder if his offer isn't commitable.

This one's a puzzler.  I hear ya that he's "blowing up" nationally, apparently.  He's "on the rise" so to speak.  Not sure where I read that but it was on the internet so it must be true.

But there are two things that give me pause.  First, a friend of mine who was a Rivals scout always said he thought offers were a more accurate barometer than stars.  This kid has 3 stars but he has offers from places like Bucknell, Delaware and Holy Cross.  Not even Creighton has pulled the trigger on an offer and, if his Rivals page is up-to-date on offers and interest, there's not a single BCS team besides us and Creighton who as even shown interest.

The other thing is the videos.  I have yet to see anything that says "Upper D1 Caliber PG."  Aside from the fact that his highlight video was really poorly done, the highlights themselves were not all that impressive.  And his game film looks sort of blah.  I realize what Kamdy says about his HS team focusing on D.  In that most recent game from February this year, though, he doesn't look all that solid on D either.  Loses his man, gives up dribble penetration, fails to close out on the shooter.

I'm very sorry but this one's a head scratcher.  But, these coaches know what they're doing so hopefully they've found a diamond in the rough just before he blows up nationally.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I wonder if his offer isn't commitable.

This one's a puzzler.  I hear ya that he's "blowing up" nationally, apparently.  He's "on the rise" so to speak.  Not sure where I read that but it was on the internet so it must be true.

But there are two things that give me pause.  First, a friend of mine who was a Rivals scout always said he thought offers were a more accurate barometer than stars.  This kid has 3 stars but he has offers from places like Bucknell, Delaware and Holy Cross.  Not even Creighton has pulled the trigger on an offer and, if his Rivals page is up-to-date on offers and interest, there's not a single BCS team besides us and Creighton who as even shown interest.

The other thing is the videos.  I have yet to see anything that says "Upper D1 Caliber PG."  Aside from the fact that his highlight video was really poorly done, the highlights themselves were not all that impressive.  And his game film looks sort of blah.  I realize what Kamdy says about his HS team focusing on D.  In that most recent game from February this year, though, he doesn't look all that solid on D either.  Loses his man, gives up dribble penetration, fails to close out on the shooter.

I'm very sorry but this one's a head scratcher.  But, these coaches know what they're doing so hopefully they've found a diamond in the rough just before he blows up nationally.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

He also has an offer from Ole Miss and Notre Dame has made plans to go watch him.

Eric Bossi the Rivals national analyst also has him in the top 13 players outside the top 150 that are uncommitted.

I think ever since the Biggs situation, Miles is focused on getting high-character, team-oriented guys.  He's talked about guys who know their roles and go out there and just perform their roles.  

Smith seems like this type of kid.  I think he could score a lot more if he wanted to, he has a pretty good shot and can take it strong to the hole.  But it seems like St. Anthony's likes to run a patient, disciplined half-court offense.  I'm not worried about his defense, look how our defense now compared to earlier in the season is like night and day - Miles will teach him how to play great D.

Looking at his stats, it looks like he does whatever is necessary.  In his last game, he dropped 23 points.  I don't think we need scorers from the point position with the players we currently have.  Think about how much better we play with Tai and Benny running the point than Biggs.. Petteway, Pitchford, Shields are our scorers.  We need a point guard who can dish it out, play defense, and hit spot up threes.