New recruit PG TARIN SMITH

Not to name any names, but I have my reservations about recruits who seek attention on social media. They seem more like "me" guys rather than "we" guys. Kamdy hit it on the head with Smith. Somebody who values education as much as Smith, coupled with playing for the most legendary HS basketball coach this country has ever seen, certainly intrigues me.

There's a really cool story about his daily route to HS. Basically he is up at 5:30 each day and on a bus at 6:30 to finally get to his school by 7:50. Then on nights with practice the buses don't get him home until 8:30. That's a lot of dedication to spend so much time on a bus, school, then basketball. The more I read the more I like about him.

Good stuff! Our basketball team is a group of high character kids. My early impressions are that he'd fit in well.

Not to name any names, but I have my reservations about recruits who seek attention on social media. They seem more like "me" guys rather than "we" guys. Kamdy hit it on the head with Smith. Somebody who values education as much as Smith, coupled with playing for the most legendary HS basketball coach this country has ever seen, certainly intrigues me.

There's a really cool story about his daily route to HS. Basically he is up at 5:30 each day and on a bus at 6:30 to finally get to his school by 7:50. Then on nights with practice the buses don't get him home until 8:30. That's a lot of dedication to spend so much time on a bus, school, then basketball. The more I read the more I like about him.

This is pretty common with the players from St. Anthony's.  If you want to read a great book about the program, pick up "The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty."  It is a great book, especially if you are a basketball fan.

The only question I would have is:  We were expecting Dickerson to come in and play immediately, with Smith I think that we would be saying that we are going to go with our present guards for next year and hope he can develop by his sophomore year.

I agree.  Looking at the film, I think Tarin would be a very good backup PG at this level, but I don't think he'll ever be the stud PG that we need.  If you look at Dickerson's film in comparison, he's just so much quicker....he looks like a Big Ten point guard.

The only question I would have is:  We were expecting Dickerson to come in and play immediately, with Smith I think that we would be saying that we are going to go with our present guards for next year and hope he can develop by his sophomore year.

I agree.  Looking at the film, I think Tarin would be a very good backup PG at this level, but I don't think he'll ever be the stud PG that we need.  If you look at Dickerson's film in comparison, he's just so much quicker....he looks like a Big Ten point guard.

I disagree.  I think if you watch both of their films they are very comparable.  I mean put the two side by side in high school and its basically the same guy.  Dickerson was committed to Murray State of all places last summer before blowing up in a tournament and thats after his 4 years in high school and a year in post grad.  Comparing Dickerson's juco film to smith isnt fair because Dickerson has two years on him.  I thik Smith would surprise and could be the late on the scene guy Dickerson was just a year ago.

If it came down to Dickerson OR Smith, I'd take Dickerson because he's probably the missing piece next year.  We need a guard who can create and provide a scoring punch next year.  Dickerson fills that need immediately. 

However, I like Smith an awful lot.  I'm not just saying that because I'm a big NU recruit homer, either.  When I look at this kid, I see a highly intelligent individual who is very disciplined.  I see someone who is unselfish, willing to make sacrifices, and understands the importance of a good education, humble with a team-first attitude.  I see a person who has both played with and against good competition.  Finally, I see a kid who has positive mentoring and good leadership around him.   

I ask you, if you could build a prototypical college point guard, wouldn't you want all of those intangibles and character traits?

There are plenty of people who can probably break down film better than I can, but I know a little bit.  He's not an elite level athlete, there are plenty of high-major PGs who are better athletes.  He's a good enough athlete though, he would look like he belongs at this level.  I like his vision, especially in traffic.  He has the ability to attack.  You can tell he's been coached to do the little things, which would be expected considering who's coaching him.  Defensively....there would likely be a learning curve as well but it seems the effort and want to are there, that's 75% of the battle. 

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm all in on the kid.  I think he could come in next year and produce at a much higher level than Tai did his freshman year, if asked to.  I also think Tai will make a fairly big jump next year, too.  I think this Smith could prove to be a solid get. 

If it came down to Dickerson OR Smith, I'd take Dickerson because he's probably the missing piece next year. We need a guard who can create and provide a scoring punch next year. Dickerson fills that need immediately.

However, I like Smith an awful lot. I'm not just saying that because I'm a big NU recruit homer, either. When I look at this kid, I see a highly intelligent individual who is very disciplined. I see someone who is unselfish, willing to make sacrifices, and understands the importance of a good education, humble with a team-first attitude. I see a person who has both played with and against good competition. Finally, I see a kid who has positive mentoring and good leadership around him.

I ask you, if you could build a prototypical college point guard, wouldn't you want all of those intangibles and character traits?

There are plenty of people who can probably break down film better than I can, but I know a little bit. He's not an elite level athlete, there are plenty of high-major PGs who are better athletes. He's a good enough athlete though, he would look like he belongs at this level. I like his vision, especially in traffic. He has the ability to attack. You can tell he's been coached to do the little things, which would be expected considering who's coaching him. Defensively....there would likely be a learning curve as well but it seems the effort and want to are there, that's 75% of the battle.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm all in on the kid. I think he could come in next year and produce at a much higher level than Tai did his freshman year, if asked to. I also think Tai will make a fairly big jump next year, too. I think this Smith could prove to be a solid get.

Plus he would have some very hard working guys that would show him the way here. I like him a lot, but I like hard working players over maybe a player with a bit more skill, but doesn't gave the work ethic.

That is not to say that Dirkerson doesn't work hard, because I don't know and he would be a good addition also.

But I like Smith.;)

I'll take whichever one we get. To be honest this sounds very familiar. Do we get Dickerson (John Groce), the guy everyone is talking about and everyone wants so bad or do we get Tarin Smith (Tim Miles) the no-namer that came out of nowhere?

Maybe a little weird to draw the comparison there with the coaches but I think recruiting can be a little like this sometimes. It gets drilled into your head that you want a certain guy. Think of how badly we wanted Atewe last year or Tummala.

If the coaching staff thinks a player can help the program, I want him.

I'll take whichever one we get. To be honest this sounds very familiar. Do we get Dickerson (John Groce), the guy everyone is talking about and everyone wants so bad or do we get Tarin Smith (Tim Miles) the no-namer that came out of nowhere?

Maybe a little weird to draw the comparison there with the coaches but I think recruiting can be a little like this sometimes. It gets drilled into your head that you want a certain guy. Think of how badly we wanted Atewe last year or Tummala.

If the coaching staff thinks a player can help the program, I want him.

Yes, very well put.

Talked to my buddy that went to Hoop Hall and saw him play. He said the coaches there were buzzing about him and said there was a lot of high major schools showing strong interest (this was in January show it's coming to fruition). He said a few coaches compared him to bobby Hurley. Obviously with Tarins coach being the elder Hurley it's an easy comparison but I actually do see some similarities.

Really appreciate all of your input/info, Kamdy. Miles and Smith seem to have a knack for being among the first to spot under the radar talent. Heck we were the first major conference team in on Dickerson. Speaking of which, I hope Trey does his homework. I don't think Fran will be too eager to bench a two year starter and B1G Leader in Assist:TO ratio.

Rumor has it that Tim Miles and Craig Smith flew to New York after yesterday's game. If true, such a trip might explain why Mr. Dickerson seems to have difficulties nailing down the details for his Lincoln visit.

If you're implying that TD is being bypassed for Tarrin, I seriously doubt that.

If Dickerson wanted to visit today, Miles and Smith would be in Lincoln

Rumor has it that Tim Miles and Craig Smith flew to New York after yesterday's game. If true, such a trip might explain why Mr. Dickerson seems to have difficulties nailing down the details for his Lincoln visit.

I don't think it's a rumor.  Miles just flat out said on his postgame that he was headed to NY to recruit.  Of course, he didn't say who he was visiting.

I don't think it's a rumor.  Miles just flat out said on his postgame that he was headed to NY to recruit.  Of course, he didn't say who he was visiting.

Yep, that's what he said.

If Dickerson wanted to officially visit he wouldn't come until Saturday since your official visit can only be for an allotted amount of time not 4 days. Today is Thursday. I bet the coaches are back tomorrow so they can prep for Wisconsin. The timing means absolutely nothing.

If Dickerson wanted to officially visit he wouldn't come until Saturday since your official visit can only be for an allotted amount of time not 4 days. Today is Thursday. I bet the coaches are back tomorrow so they can prep for Wisconsin. The timing means absolutely nothing.

Nice to have options

Watching Smith's game film that was posted upthread, he doesn't strike one as a guy who can just take over a game (at the HS level.)  Defense seems a bit suspect.  One time, for example, he bit on a pump fake and gave up the dribble drive and then just kind of turned to watch how the rest of the play would go rather than getting back in the action.  Saw that kind of thing a few times.  On the offensive end, he seems unselfish.  Worked at being a distributor but showed the ability to put the ball on the floor and get into the lane.  But he did have  couple of careless turnovers, including dribbling a ball off of his own leg. 

What kind of numbers is he putting up.  Does anyone know?

What kind of numbers is he putting up.  Does anyone know?

Only thing I could find was the New Jersey newspapers stats.  They must not do much recording of rebounds or assists otherwise its says he has 27 assists in 23 games, which is impossible.  The points though are accurate.  He is averaging 13.69 points a game.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/school/jersey-city-st-anthony/boysbasketball/stats/

The leading scorer on the team is 2015 Rivals 150 SF Markis McDuffie at 14.5 points a game.

This is from a January 29, 2014 article:

Despite McDuffie’s dominance, Hurley was also quick to point out the play of senior guard Tarin Smith, who had 12 points, eight assists and six rebounds. It was a performance that the St. Anthony coach said was a “nearly flawless” game and helped the Friars reach another level

Eight assists, six rebounds and a nearly flawless game, along with twelve points. Hmmmm . . . Tim Miles might be onto something here.