New recruit PG TARIN SMITH

He's from St. Anthony's, so he's been coached by one of the top high school coaches in the country. 

“He’s a late developer,” Hall of Fame St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley told SNY.tv. of his point guard after Smith went for 11 points Tuesday in St. Anthony’s 56-41 victory over Camden.

“I think he would be intriguing for coaches because I think of the unsigned kids, he’s probably someone that people should look at.”

Smith is being recruited by Providence, Creighton, Rhode Island, Lehigh, Delaware, Boston University, Boston College, Fordham and Florida International.

I'm a bit biased but how in the world do you choose Iowa right now having Nebraska as an option as well? Absolutely everything points Huskers. Facilities, coaches, immediate playing time on a team with an upward trajectory, on and on and on. Iowa is a slumping team with a grumpy coach who hates twitter. Come to Nebraska and you get to play for Coach Miles, keep your twitter account open, and play a lot of minutes on a team that looks to be going places.

I'm a bit biased but how in the world do you choose Iowa right now having Nebraska as an option as well? Absolutely everything points Huskers. Facilities, coaches, immediate playing time on a team with an upward trajectory, on and on and on. Iowa is a slumping team with a grumpy coach who hates twitter. Come to Nebraska and you get to play for Coach Miles, keep your twitter account open, and play a lot of minutes on a team that looks to be going places.

McCaffery could very well be like Bo, where people love him behind the scenes and look past his raving lunatic act. Maybe he likes the campus better. Maybe he likes the academics there. 

Iowa wouldn't be a bad choice. They're a program on the upswing as well, and they play a very fun style.

Iowa is 4th in the entire nation in scoring offense.  We are 284th.  That alone is probably enough to make him favor Iowa.  

They did also beat us head-to-head and are ranked in the Top 25 while we are not.

McCaffery is also a proven winner, he may not be as funny as Miles but the guy can coach.

We do have the facilities, and hopefully they will blow him away, but Iowa has a lot going for them right now as well.

Iowa is 4th in the entire nation in scoring offense. We are 284th. That alone is probably enough to make him favor Iowa.

They did also beat us head-to-head and are ranked in the Top 25 while we are not.

McCaffery is also a proven winner, he may not be as funny as Miles but the guy can coach.

We do have the facilities, and hopefully they will blow him away, but Iowa has a lot going for them right now as well.

When you put it that way, it's not even close--Huskers all the way.

First there was this:

Sign that Trey is an Iowa lean.

I love the assumptions and conclusions drawn here. Has it even been confirmed this guy has an offer?

... and then this:

Yes and that's from someone who would know.

... which was followed by this:

Yes and that's from someone who would know.

Smith has an offer from us?

... and finally this:

no, the guy I talk to is where I got the info that TD likely favors Iowa

This engine isn't hitting on all cylinders.  I wonder which one is missing.

After reading up on him more I am glad TM is checking him out.  This is his first year starting in HS.  He has sat behind 3 Rivals 150 players the last few years and this is his year now to start.  On his AAU team he was a starter but had 4 teammates all committed to big time schools like Kentucky, UCinn, Maryland etc.  Nothing wrong with finding a kid that was overlooked and bloomed late.  I mean lets be honest here everyone wants Trey Dickerson, whom was committed to Murray State last summer and finally got seen and blew up really late and now a year later look at how bad we want him.  What if Smith is this years Trey Dickerson but we can get in on him before he has to go JUCO to break his binding commitment elsewhere.

by the way cool little tidbit I found when reading, he is set to be the valedictorian of his senior class.  Having a smart point guard is nothing to scoff at when the game is in your hands.

After reading up on him more I am glad TM is checking him out. This is his first year starting in HS. He has sat behind 3 Rivals 150 players the last few years and this is his year now to start. On his AAU team he was a starter but had 4 teammates all committed to big time schools like Kentucky, UCinn, Maryland etc. Nothing wrong with finding a kid that was overlooked and bloomed late. I mean lets be honest here everyone wants Trey Dickerson, whom was committed to Murray State last summer and finally got seen and blew up really late and now a year later look at how bad we want him. What if Smith is this years Trey Dickerson but we can get in on him before he has to go JUCO to break his binding commitment elsewhere.

by the way cool little tidbit I found when reading, he is set to be the valedictorian of his senior class. Having a smart point guard is nothing to scoff at when the game is in your hands.

Plus he comes out of Bob Hurleys program. He's most likely a grinder, tough nosed kid who has overcome a whole lot to get where he is. He's the type of player we want in the program here. Don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet, but for those that haven't seen the documentary about Bob Hurley and the St. Anthony program, you should. I think it's called "The Street Stops Here" or something like that.

Not to name any names, but I have my reservations about recruits who seek attention on social media. They seem more like "me" guys rather than "we" guys. Kamdy hit it on the head with Smith. Somebody who values education as much as Smith, coupled with playing for the most legendary HS basketball coach this country has ever seen, certainly intrigues me.

Not to name any names, but I have my reservations about recruits who seek attention on social media. They seem more like "me" guys rather than "we" guys. Kamdy hit it on the head with Smith. Somebody who values education as much as Smith, coupled with playing for the most legendary HS basketball coach this country has ever seen, certainly intrigues me.

There's a really cool story about his daily route to HS. Basically he is up at 5:30 each day and on a bus at 6:30 to finally get to his school by 7:50. Then on nights with practice the buses don't get him home until 8:30. That's a lot of dedication to spend so much time on a bus, school, then basketball. The more I read the more I like about him.