Big ten tournament: Indianapolis thread

Was thinking...

What seed do you think we'll get, and consequently what will our path be to getting the 1-2 wins we need like everyone is saying?

Obviously we are in a much better position going in than last year and years past, where we'd get a 10-12 seed and play one of the best teams right away if we pulled off an upset.

If we are looking to get into the tournament with the way our conference is beating up on itself (which makes for interesting conference hierarchies!), methinks we need a 5-6 seed (which is probable), so we can play the worst teams in both rounds. a 4 seed would be nice too. :D

Good position to be in, guys. :)

There is still hope

Get the bye by going 3-0. With the bye avoid risk of bad loss and get in tourney.

Will finishing 3-0 get us a bye?

If we finish 3-0, I'd just as soon not get a bye because I think a first-round game would be an easier win for us and, if we finish the regular season with 3 more wins, I don't think it will matter who we beat because I think any win will put us in at that point.

Get to 20.  Period.

3-0 in a heartbeat!  That means we finish the season 11-7 in the B10 and a good shot at getting an at large berth.  Being 4th/5th in the B10 with 11 wins would at the very least get us a VERY deep look in making the tourney.

And remember...other bubble teams are going to continue to lose games.  A lot of them play each other.

I'll take 3-0 and a bye any day of the week. I'd like to avoid having to play MSU or MU in the 2nd round. Anybody below those 2 teams we can beat.

We can beat MSU. We have done it.

We have but not sure I'd want to try it again.  Not so sure we'd have the same result the second time around.

If I've done it right, according to the bracket projector (thanks again to those who made this possible) our tournament looks like the following using these criteria:

- Teams will win out according to current B1G standings (as of today - 2/28)

- Home team wins in the event teams that are currently tied play

- The Huskers win and/lose as below:

1, NW - (W), Ind (W), Wisc (W) -- 4 seed bye facing Iowa/Illinois winner in 2nd

2. NW - (W), Ind (W), Wisc (L) -- 6 seed facing Purdue in 1st round, Wisc in 2nd

3. NW - (W), Ind (L), Wisc (W) -- 6 seed facing Purdue in 1st round, Wisc in 2nd

4. NW - (W), Ind (L), Wisc (L) -- 6 seed facing Purdue in 1st round, Wisc in 2nd

5. NW - (L), Ind (W), Wisc (W) -- 6 seed facing Purdue in 1st round, Wisc in 2nd

6. NW - (L), Ind (W), Wisc (L) -- 6 seed facing Purdue in 1st round, Wisc in 2nd

7. NW - (L), Ind (L), Wisc (W) -- 6 seed facing Purdue in 1st round, Wisc in 2nd

8. NW - (L), Ind (L), Wisc (L) -- 6 seed facing Purdue in 1st round, Wisc in 2nd

Feel free to check my work and correct it. You won't hurt my feelings. But it looks possible that we be a 6 seed playing Purdue in the 1st round and Wisc in the 2nd.

Get the bye by going 3-0. With the bye avoid risk of bad loss and get in tourney.

Will finishing 3-0 get us a bye?

If we finish 3-0, I'd just as soon not get a bye because I think a first-round game would be an easier win for us and, if we finish the regular season with 3 more wins, I don't think it will matter who we beat because I think any win will put us in at that point.

Get to 20.  Period.

Agree with you, norm. We need that extra first round game for an extra w hopefully. Don't see how that can hurt us, except perhaps having less time to prepare/rest...

Like to see us at least at 2-1 through the rest of the way, but if that's the case I don't like our chances (also depends who we lose to).

It'd be awesome if we could win out and get some momentum going for the tournament. I think it's totally possible, but depends again on which Nebraska shows up...

It's actually possible to go 2-1 and get the 3 seed.

Nevermind...I did it wrong...

In terms of B1G tournament seeding, to get in the top 4, need OSU and Iowa to lose. Iowa has two at home vs. Purdue and Illinois with a trip to MSU in the middle. Probably go 2-1. NU would have to be 3-0 to better them. OSU goes to IU and hosts MSU to close it out. Need them to drop one. NU's trip to Indiana will loom large.

Edited by uneblinstu

so, right now, we're tied with OSU for the #4 spot. Neither of us beat Michigan, so it goes to the next best team, which is Michigan St. We hold that tie breaker, it's not in jeopardy. If Wisconsin moves into the #2 spot, that puts that tiebreaker up for grabs too. If we're tied with Iowa, we hold no tie-breakers with them since they won the only season meeting.

Not that it's a huge deal -yet, but with NU and OSU tied at 9-7 and noone else affecting the scenerio why is every ranking showing OSU as the 4 seed and NU as the 5 seed when we own the highest tiebreaker?

Guess I assumed the the margin of victory there as opposed to here would be the next tie breaker. What is it?

Not that it's a huge deal -yet, but with NU and OSU tied at 9-7 and noone else affecting the scenerio why is every ranking showing OSU as the 4 seed and NU as the 5 seed when we own the highest tiebreaker?

Guess I assumed the the margin of victory there as opposed to here would be the next tie breaker. What is it?
If that's the case it makes sense... i was under the impression the 2nd tiebreaker was best conference win.

My apologies for making a wrong assumption. Went looking for the tie breaking rules and found this B1G site. Unless these are not current, it would seem to me that, since our records against Mich are the same (both 0-1) it go to MSU presuming they remain #2 and our victory over MSU would trump OSU's, at best, 1-1 record. I've copied the rules below. Perhaps someone else understands this better.

A. Two-team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings (or in the case of a tie for the championship, the next highest position in the regular-season standings), continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

b. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of all Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

B. Multiple team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season. a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

b. When comparing records against a single team or group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by Commissioner or designee.

Everything I have seen has us at 4

3K29Xvfl.jpg

I'd almost rather play penn st or NW in round 1 to add another win to our total.

if we beat IU and Wisc, i think we get into the ncaa tourney regardless of what happens in the big10