uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 28 - @ Illinois

uneblinstu

All good things must come to an end. Thoughts as I watched the game on the DVR. Hope they make sense. This doesn't burst the bubble. 

- Well, it looks like we missed Gallegos get into foul trouble, so there’s that.

- Nice to see Benny hit a jumper.

- Huskers didn’t fold when Illinois got out to an early lead. Didn’t expect they would, but nice to see.

- Didn’t seem like an overly raucous atmosphere in Champane.

- Illinois hit some shots.

- Shields missed a couple at the rim he’s been finishing lately. Pitchford and Petteway missed a couple, too.

- Nice little jumper by Rivers on the pump fake. First lead at 18-17.

- Sounds like we missed Smith get off to a decent start.

- Tied at 18

- Couple of really ugly three’s from just about everyone...

- Not a smart idea by Shields to try and take on 4 Illini players on the break late in the first half.

- Really fortunate at the half to be down 3. Getting 17 from Rivers, Smith and Parker was a life saver. Think how ugly it could have been had they not chipped in.

- 0/8 from 3 in the first half. Yikes!

- Only 5 attempts from the line, not good either.

- Good to see Petteway attack the rim right out of the break. Hit them both.

- Took the lead again at 28-27 on the Pitchford dunk just a minute into the second half.

- Illinois did a pretty decent job of defending in transition.

- Illinios took the lead again at 29-28

- Webster with a big 3. That was cool.

- Gah, second chances for Illinois killing NU.

- Rivers with a nice little take and finish at the rim. Strong.

- Wow! What a save for Shields!

- Lots of open 3’s for Illinois, they’re hitting them.

- Not much movememt offensively at times.

- Petteway just can’t hit anything tonight.

- 8-0 run by Illinois

- 5 quick points by Petteway to get back in the game.

- Really needed to take advantage of that foul after Petteway’s jumper. Probably last chance to get back into the game...and then the turnover after the Illinois miss with a chance to cut it to six...

- Illinios length and defense causing all sorts of trouble for NU tonight.

- 14 turnovers ugh...

This post has been promoted to an article

Yeah, the bubble didn't burst, but I don't think it's particularly likely we win out in the regular season. If we close out 2-2 (counting tonight), we'll have to win at least two B1G tournament games to earn a berth. 

Considering only two of those games are in Lincoln, I'm not confident...

Yeah, the bubble didn't burst, but I don't think it's particularly likely we win out in the regular season. If we close out 2-2 (counting tonight), we'll have to win at least two B1G tournament games to earn a berth. 

Considering only two of those games are in Lincoln, I'm not confident...

Considering NU's chances for the 4th seed are not too great at this point, it's still a possibility that the Huskers could get 2 in Indy (not as likely to accomplish as many felt earlier today, however).  NU must figure out how to win Saturday & compete hard next Wednesday & let the chips fall how they may...

Two things could have made a difference tonight.

1) Remember when Coach Miles said we were a big man away. Tonight we could have use him.

2) Our point guard play good but nothing special. Tonight it needed to be better.

Our point guard play is nowhere near "good" in my opinion. We have one of the worst 2-3 point guard corps in the B1G.

Two things could have made a difference tonight.

1) Remember when Coach Miles said we were a big man away. Tonight we could have use him.

2) Our point guard play good but nothing special. Tonight it needed to be better.

Our point guard play is nowhere near "good" in my opinion. We have one of the worst 2-3 point guard corps in the B1G.

This. Tonight we could've used a big man. There's been a couple games where we could've used one, but for the most part we've survived, held our own without one. It's even tougher to survive without a point guard. Point guard play. Having consistency at this position over the course of this season might have been worth a few more wins.

We need a combo guard that is ready to play next year and make a difference. Juco most likely. We need another scorer badly. And preferably one that can make threes. And has to be willing on defensive end.

Id take one of those. Even just a facilitator that could set guys up, one with the ability to score when necessary. A guy who can shoot when called upon. Maybe Tai can figure out what he's doing.

We need a combo guard that is ready to play next year and make a difference. Juco most likely. We need another scorer badly. And preferably one that can make threes. And has to be willing on defensive end.

Id take one of those. Even just a facilitator that could set guys up, one with the ability to score when necessary. A guy who can shoot when called upon. Maybe Tai can figure out what he's doing.

Yup. Looks like Petteway strained his backup carrying the offense this season. I know it's easy to point the finger at his shooting performance tonight (and I did some during the game thread), but we ask for way too much out of him, and that's because outside of Shields we don't have a player who can consistently attempt to get a bucket for himself or others.

Not really sure what Sam is saying here?

First looks like a foul on TP, second could go either way, and the last just looks like shavon is completely out of control

I think his overall point was that the game was reffed in a way not consistent with this year.

Obviously you need to adjust to how the game is reffed.

Given how much offense we generate from the FT line, it's often beneficial to us when the game is an ugly foul fest.

Lack of foul calls wasn't the reason we lost but it certainly could have helped.