Valpo is going to destroy us

BjoeHusker

Andre Almeida. The burrito whisperer. I liked how Miles gave him a head start and saved him a trip down the floor by not putting him on the lane most times when we were shooting FTs.

They did that during the exhibition, too. I kind of made a joke of it at the time. But, I'm thinking now that's being done more to save the bigs from the potential foul when a rebound in those situations is somewhat unlikely anyway. We need to keep our bigs out of foul trouble as much as possible because the alternative is, well, not very appealing. Remember, as bad as you think Andre might be, he starts. Which means the alternative is worse.

I don't think Almeida is that bad. I think he is rusty right now. He does get called for quite a few fouls just because he is so big. I think we'll see his offensive game come on as we get through a few games here. If you watch his feet, he has some nice moves and can be pretty graceful in the post for a 350 lb man. I can't believe I just typed that.

I agree with nustudent, I think the coaches have to decide what Andre is, personally I don't know if he can play, just watching him he has lost more than a step after his surgery, He just can't make a double move in the post like he did before he got hurt. It looks like he's making to much effort on moves he made look easy in the past. One of his hook shots I even noticed him fading away, when you are that big you should never be fading away on a hook shot.

I had no idea the program Bryce Drew has built there. They return 6 seniors including the Horizon League's Player of the Year (Ryan Broekhoffe). Size, speed, and experience will be too much for our Huskers. FWIW, my prediction is Valpo 77, Nebraska 61

I don't know if they will destroy us.....but we will have to play well to win. I watched a few of their games last year and they play good basketball and can shoot. They aren't overly athletic though. They have a tall foreigner who can fill it up. This year is just about getting better. We obviously know its going to be a rough year record wise but hopefully we continue to see the team and the young guys develop as the year goes on.

I have no problem playing Ubel 10 to 12 minutes in the post, but for us to have even a reasonable chance of success this year, we need Andre to compete 20 to 25 minutes a game. We need 8 to 10 points and 5 to 7 rebounds a game. It is more important defensively than on offense. He blocks the middle. If he is doing his job, it will be tough for the opponent to score inside the paint.

I have no problem playing Ubel 10 to 12 minutes in the post, but for us to have even a reasonable chance of success this year, we need Andre to compete 20 to 25 minutes a game. We need 8 to 10 points and 5 to 7 rebounds a game. It is more important defensively than on offense. He blocks the middle. If he is doing his job, it will be tough for the opponent to score inside the paint.

The 21 minutes Andre put in vs. Midland were a career high.

Watching Valpo this morning and a few thoughts

- They play well organized and disciplined basketball.

- They have a few tall and lengthy boys on the team.

- They shoot it verry well. Espicially from downtown.

- They will provide a tough test for us, but will be playing on the road in the BOB. We all know thats a tough place to play :)

- 69 to 46 was the final score over NO. Illinois

- Overall it will be a tough test this early in the season, but one that we have a chance at passing!

I say we cut Andre some slack. He is all we've got in the post this year. so I propose a new nickname for him to make amends for all the snarky comments we have made and since the "Velvet Tower" never caught on. How about "the Vanilla Gorilla from Brazilla" or "the Tapirnator" for starts.

+1 for Vanilla Gorilla