Friendly Conference Schedule

craig102m

One thing that has helped us out this year is a very friendly Big 10 slate.  Every year we play all but 2 teams at home and all but 2 teams on the road.  So we play 7 teams twice and 4 teams once.  If you look at the teams we only played once they are most of the top teams in the Big 10, while we played the bottom teams twice.

Played once (home game) Minnesota and Wisconsin

Played once (away game) Iowa and Michigan State

When we started out 0-4, we sucked, nevermind that our conference schedule was front-loaded with the tough teams and we played @ Iowa and @ Ohio State in that stretch.  And we were whiners for kvetching about our tough early schedule.  But we get through that part and start winning against wussies like Michigan State and Minnesota and they're all, "it's an easy schedule" and "they don't play all the tough teams twice."  (Little bit of hypocrisy never heart anyone, right?)

And, in spite of that, we still have a tougher conference SOS than they do?  Whoda thunk it?

One thing that has helped us out this year is a very friendly Big 10 slate.  Every year we play all but 2 teams at home and all but 2 teams on the road.  So we play 7 teams twice and 4 teams once.  If you look at the teams we only played once they are most of the top teams in the Big 10, while we played the bottom teams twice.

Played once (home game) Minnesota and Wisconsin

Played once (away game) Iowa and Michigan State

yes and no. as usual, our schedule was front loaded to break us in half. the rest of it is largely true. but these are "breaks" that every team gets and I don't see anyone else handing back wins in shame.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy, we only had to play Michigan State once. At their house.

And, oh by the way, we WON.

Yep super easy. Didn't we get screwed by the easy schedule? Yep, we did. I think we got screwed out of another big win by the schedulers not allowing us to beat the Spartans at home too. And Iowa. We should've been given the chance to take them down at PBA too. Completely hosed by this super easy schedule.

We're 4-4 against the top 8 teams in the league. Michigan State is 5-4. Iowa is 4-6....etc.

You imply that we have racked up wins against the bad teams and can't beat the top teams. You imply that if we play more of the top teams that we are way more likely to lose them than win them.

Judging by our 4-4 record, we are just as likely to win as we are to lose.

We're 4-4 against the top 8 teams in the league. Michigan State is 5-4. Iowa is 4-6....etc.

You imply that we have racked up wins against the bad teams and can't beat the top teams. You imply that if we play more of the top teams that we are way more likely to lose them than win them.

Judging by our 4-4 record, we are just as likely to win as we are to lose.

Exactly. The conference schedule is what it is. Every team has tougher/easier portions...overall it's pretty tough

WHOA! This is groundbreaking stuff. How did you find this out?

Creighton fans....of course our #33 ranked conference SOS dwarfs their ranking of #67. 

I am definitely not a Creighton fan.  Just saying we were lucky this year with our draw.  We have taken advantage of it and won quite a few games. It can be looked at one of two ways. Either we missed out on wins against quality opponents or we didn't play anyone.  I think it is somewhere in between. 

Creighton fans....of course our #33 ranked conference SOS dwarfs their ranking of #67. 

I am definitely not a Creighton fan.  Just saying we were lucky this year with our draw.  We have taken advantage of it and won quite a few games. It can be looked at one of two ways. Either we missed out on wins against quality opponents or we didn't play anyone.  I think it is somewhere in between. 

We also have like 5 or 6 Big Ten opponents who get a full week off to prepare for us, so the Big Ten did us no favors there. We were a tip-in away from beating the league leader as well. The teams who should be thanking the Big Ten are the ones who didn't have to visit PBA this year: Michigan State and Iowa. 

While sort of a repeat and late to the party, this was a post with merit.  RELATIVELY SPEAKING, our schedule in the B1G is easier than most in our conference.  It also has a legit claim to be the best conference in the NCAA.

We have way too many posts on this board that go like this

Not saying you are a Creighton fan.  But this is the new excuse by Creighton fans in regards to NU exceeding expectations.  Of course, with the same schedule....just a few months ago they were predicting us to win 1-2 games. 

They are already talking like if we lose at Illinois tonight it will be the biggest embarrassment in college basketball. Apparently Illinois is SOOO bad.

Meanwhile, Creighton almost lost at a horrible Butler team a couple weeks ago, then nearly lost at home to Seton Hall a few days ago.

RPI

Illinois - 86

Seton Hall - 134

Butler - 150

But year, we're delusional.

Seton Hall at 134?  Wow, that's like 30 spots lower than any B1G team.  They'd be a long ways into last place in the B1G.  They just about have to be last place in Creighton's conference, right?

I'm glad you asked, Norm. They're 8th out of 10. Yes, there are actually 2 teams WORSE than 134.

We have way too many posts on this board that go like this  (snipped)

Since when do people around here complain about Creighton posts?

I thought we were generally pretty receptive to talking with them and about them.

I'm talking about piling on anyone new here lately.  

A lot of talk here about how we're going to swing all those fans over to Nebraska.

Is the follow up plan to call all them trolls or snark them to death when they post here?

Seton Hall at 134?  Wow, that's like 30 spots lower than any B1G team.  They'd be a long ways into last place in the B1G.  They just about have to be last place in Creighton's conference, right?

I'm glad you asked, Norm. They're 8th out of 10. Yes, there are actually 2 teams WORSE than 134.

Big East KenPom breakdown (2-26-14)

==============================

4.  Creighton (23-4)

9.  Villanova (24-3)

37.  St. John's (18-11)

44.  Xavier (19-9)

52.  Providence (18-10)

55.  Marquette (16-11)

56.  Georgetown (16-11)

80.  Seton Hall (14-14)

120.  Butler (12-15)

164.  DePaul (11-18)

Seton Hall at 134? Wow, that's like 30 spots lower than any B1G team. They'd be a long ways into last place in the B1G. They just about have to be last place in Creighton's conference, right?

4. Creighton (23-4)

9. Villanova (24-3)

37. St. John's (18-11)

44. Xavier (19-9)

52. Providence (18-10)

55. Marquette (16-11)

56. Georgetown (16-11)

80. Seton Hall (14-14)

120. Butler (12-15)

164. DePaul (11-18)

Talking RPI, not KenPom rankings

Seton Hall at 134? Wow, that's like 30 spots lower than any B1G team. They'd be a long ways into last place in the B1G. They just about have to be last place in Creighton's conference, right?

4. Creighton (23-4)

9. Villanova (24-3)

37. St. John's (18-11)

44. Xavier (19-9)

52. Providence (18-10)

55. Marquette (16-11)

56. Georgetown (16-11)

80. Seton Hall (14-14)

120. Butler (12-15)

164. DePaul (11-18)

Talking RPI, not KenPom rankings

Yeah, I got that.  Those are the KenPom rankings.