Miles + Statistical Analysis

wordyginters

I'm a fervent baseball fan, and have slowly started to get my arms around some of the statistical analysis in baseball that goes beyond Batting Ave/HRs/RBIs, etc...there are an abundance of web-sites out there that provide great education on baseball stats, from Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, and Baseball-Reference, to great team blogs like Royals Review.  My question, does anyone here get into the same type of analysis regarding college hoops?  I've noticed Miles frequently mentions Ken Pom, and was touting David River's rebounding efficiency numbers in an ESPN article a couple of days ago.  I also checked out Mich States blog on SB Nation, and they seemed to be a bit more savvy than your average mooks regarding how they digest and analyze college basketball.  Anyone have any good websites or books or links to suggest to introduce an old fan to new stat analysis regarding basketball?  Anyone get the idea that Miles is more "new" school than old school when it comes to how he prepares and analyzes the game?  Thanks in advance.

bb state is probably as good as there is for public use, but it's subscription only. espn does hollinger, I think.

Some of the pro boards at SB Nation are good for basketball stats and understanding what they mean. I'm a member of Detroit Bad Boys at SB (DBB) and some of their guys are really good at this stuff and they also follow college ball.

I've noticed Miles frequently mentions Ken Pom, and was touting David River's rebounding efficiency numbers in an ESPN article a couple of days ago. 

I know he looks at Kenpom all the time because I do and I hear him constantly quoting the same data I'm looking at.

It's changed the way I value assists.

bb state is probably as good as there is for public use, but it's subscription only. espn does hollinger, I think.

Some of the pro boards at SB Nation are good for basketball stats and understanding what they mean. I'm a member of Detroit Bad Boys at SB (DBB) and some of their guys are really good at this stuff and they also follow college ball.

You have any suggestions for authors/writers I should be checking out to learn more about this stuff?  Is there an equivalent to Baseball Prospectus or Bill James for hoops?  How about core/key stats.  I have a vague idea that points per possession (offensive efficiency?) is a good starting point, but that's about all I've got.  

He's looking into the stats inc camera system that the nba uses. It will be used at the Big Ten Tourney. I know Duke has the cameras in their practice facility, not sure of mich else for college. Not sure of any sites that break things down like the nba as of yet though.

Tell me more.  If you don't mind.  Stats Inc camera system?  Is that somewhat analogous to the PitchFX stuff that MLB teams use?  A way to meticulously track everything on the court to measure it, etc...?  

You have any suggestions for authors/writers I should be checking out to learn more about this stuff?  Is there an equivalent to Baseball Prospectus or Bill James for hoops?  How about core/key stats.  I have a vague idea that points per possession (offensive efficiency?) is a good starting point, but that's about all I've got.

Dean Oliver is the Bill James of Hoops. "Basketball on Paper" by Oliver is definitely worth the read.

He's looking into the stats inc camera system that the nba uses. It will be used at the Big Ten Tourney. I know Duke has the cameras in their practice facility, not sure of mich else for college. Not sure of any sites that break things down like the nba as of yet though.

Tell me more. If you don't mind. Stats Inc camera system? Is that somewhat analogous to the PitchFX stuff that MLB teams use? A way to meticulously track everything on the court to measure it, etc...?

Read this. It just does everything. Measures player positioning on the court, speed, spacing, distance, tracks the ball on passes, arc on shots...it tracks everything and it's uses are pretty much unlimited.

http://www.stats.com/sportvu/basketball.asp

The Stats SportVu info is online now through this. http://stats.nba.com/playerTracking.html show who get in the lane, who gets back on D and pretty much everythjng that happens on the court.

My friend works on install for the system and did all the NBA arenas this offseason. Really cool technology. He gets really mad when teams wear weird jerseys with numbers that the cameras can't read.

Tell me more. If you don't mind. Stats Inc camera system? Is that somewhat analogous to the PitchFX stuff that MLB teams use? A way to meticulously track everything on the court to measure it, etc...?

Read this. It just does everything. Measures player positioning on the court, speed, spacing, distance, tracks the ball on passes, arc on shots...it tracks everything and it's uses are pretty much unlimited.

http://www.stats.com/sportvu/basketball.asp

Thanks!

Dean Oliver is the Bill James of Hoops. "Basketball on Paper" by Oliver is definitely worth the read.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Second the Oliver reference. PPP is sort of the WAR of hoops, but like that baseball stat, is limited to scoring centric evaluations. Basketball's still struggling--as is baseball-with less quantifiable metrics like defensive play. It's one reason the Benny Parkers of the world can get so much grief in a stat-centric universe. There's no quality UZR-like metric to measure his value other than a steals-per value or opponent shooting percentage. But maybe those are enough. Eyeballs still matter, as even Billy Beane found out when he had to retool his scouting system after 2007.

Eyeballs still matter, as even Billy Beane found out when he had to retool his scouting system after 2007.

I'm not sure if you're implying this, but Beane didn't retool because his methodology of signing high OBP players was flawed, he did so because others had also adopted this strategy and those players who previously were undervalued no longer were.  That's when they started looking at players skilled in defense because they were also undervalued. 

Thanks!

Second the Oliver reference. PPP is sort of the WAR of hoops, but like that baseball stat, is limited to scoring centric evaluations. Basketball's still struggling--as is baseball-with less quantifiable metrics like defensive play. It's one reason the Benny Parkers of the world can get so much grief in a stat-centric universe. There's no quality UZR-like metric to measure his value other than a steals-per value or opponent shooting percentage. But maybe those are enough. Eyeballs still matter, as even Billy Beane found out when he had to retool his scouting system after 2007.

I like the cut of your jib.  I'll dig around a little regarding PPP.  You've got to admire Beane, who knows what market inefficiency he's exploiting these days?  One researcher (can't recall the name) at Baseball Prospectus has been doing some research on "clubhouse leadership".  If I recall, his informal studies pegged the A's as having outstanding clubhouse chemistry.  It would be hilarious if Beane has figured something out regarding "character", since it is such an anathema to most stat heads(me included).   Like you suggest, it probably has something to do with defense, but I'm still amazed that he stays competitive with his roster.  Hard to look at that A's 40 man roster last March and suggest they'd win the West.  Who is your MLB team?  I'm looking forward to learning more about "WAR" type stats in basketball, somewhat comforting to think Miles is aware/uses this type analysis.  Quite a difference than being a Royals fan, a team that may be slowly coming around (shockingly, they frequently used defensive shifts last year), but is still waaay behind the stat analysis curve.