Bubble Watch

Shuttlesworth

So, if we do not go to Dayton and the play in game do we technically remain one of the few major D1 schools to not have a "first round" NCAA tournament win? I know the first round isn't what it was last time we danced, but what makes me think of it was how we had tournament worthy teams before it went to 64, but couldn't get in because if the numbers so it may be that we get a "second round win" before we ever get that elusive first round win.

I'm sure Shuttlesworth will be all over this (and thank you by the way for doing this!), but I'm just jacked and trying to kill time, think, relax all at once.

So looking at some games today that we want to watch...

Obviously we need Wichita State to win the Valley today....REALLY big game for bubble teams.

NW @Purdue...loser gonna take the #12 seed.  I personally would rather see NW win JUST in case we get that 5 seed.  Purdue with Hammonds can beat anybody I would think on any given day.  Not that NW can't, but not "as likely"

Syracuse @FSU....FSU would have a shot to get back in the mix with a win today.  Need Syracuse to get this one.

St. Louis @UMASS...RPI/SOS with a UMASS win

Mercer vs FGCU for a ticket to the dance....go FGCU!  

LaSalle @St. Joe's....would love to see St. Joe's drop this game at home.  Not likely, but would hurt them.

Michigan State @Ohio State...Go MSU!  Lock us into that 4 seed.  Now, we want to get in with a win obviously, but why not have MSU guarantee it for us early. 

Penn State @Minnesota...Minnesota still has a shot to get in.  Let's knock them off the bubble with a home loss

Enjoy the day everybody!! 6:30 can't get here soon enough!!!!

FSU losses by 16 to Syracuse. 

Wich St looking good in St. Louis. 

We are in if we beat Wisconsin but that doesn't mean we shouldn't root against other bubble teams. I am rooting for us to get a higher seed. Getting out of the first four "play in" games would be huge.

With a win today and one in the B1G tourney, I could see us grabbing a 10 seed.

if we go 2 and 1 with a win today, we might go even higher than that. We'll be scorching hot in the back half of the season. That matters. It might get us another seed.

We are in if we beat Wisconsin but that doesn't mean we shouldn't root against other bubble teams. I am rooting for us to get a higher seed. Getting out of the first four "play in" games would be huge.

With a win today and one in the B1G tourney, I could see us grabbing a 10 seed.

if we go 2 and 1 with a win today, we might go even higher than that. We'll be scorching hot in the back half of the season. That matters. It might get us another seed.

Keep winning.  That's all that needs to be said.  Here's the projected RPI with records given conference tournament.  Thier program isn't perfect... (for example it doesn't give the 23-11 possibility if we're a 5 seed in the conference tourney and run the table).  But it gives you an idea. :

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/Nebraska.html

I'm just glad we're not in Minnesota's position right now. We still have work to do, but it's nice to know that we'd have to screw up really bad to let it crumble through our hands.

Not sure we could screw it up at this point. If we're not in there should be an investigation.

So, if we do not go to Dayton and the play in game do we technically remain one of the few major D1 schools to not have a "first round" NCAA tournament win? I know the first round isn't what it was last time we danced, but what makes me think of it was how we had tournament worthy teams before it went to 64, but couldn't get in because if the numbers so it may be that we get a "second round win" before we ever get that elusive first round win.

If it's the "Field of 64", a first round win doesn't count.

If it's the "Field of 68", a first round win does count.

It's the Field of 68.

I would think we want Gonzaga.  Both by some are considered "bubble" teams.  Gonzaga's name may have more pull than BYU for getting a bid if they happen to lose tonight. 

Here are their resume's.

Gonzaga RPI 26, SOS 91

BYU RPI 34 SOS 43

According to Palm he has Zags as an 11 seed and BYU isn't even on there.

According to Lunardi he has Zags a 9 and BYU a 12.

So according to both, they have the Zags more "safely" in.  So I would think we want the Zags to win as they have a better shot at stealing a bid.

Another interesting game tonight is North Dakota State vs IPFW.  ND State has an RPI of 34.  Could they steal a bid if they lose tonight?  Possibly.  So we want them to win this game and we won't have to worry about that.

Would be fun if we got matched up opposite Creighton (if they were a 2/3 seed and we were a 10/11 seed).

I think they don't make you play someone in the 2nd round and they try to keep it from happening in the 3rd round.

Wouldn't it be fun if we played Creighton and beat them to get us into the Sweet 16? Now that would be something...

Would be fun if we got matched up opposite Creighton (if they were a 2/3 seed and we were a 10/11 seed).

I think they don't make you play someone in the 2nd round and they try to keep it from happening in the 3rd round.

Wouldn't it be fun if we played Creighton and beat them to get us into the Sweet 16? Now that would be something...

A while back I mentioned the notion of Nebrasketball making the Sweet 16 before the 'team of a lifetime' CU boys do. Being surrounded by Jayskers in the big O, that would simply be amazing.  B)

Any noteworthy bubble games today? I took a very quick look and USC over Colorado, Texas Tech over Oklahoma State, DePaul over Georgetown, and Washington St over Stanford seem like teams to root for. At this point I suppose these games are more for Nebraska to avoid the play-in round, instead of simply getting an at-large bid.