In a way, I hate to bring this up, but ...

Norm Peterson

Mike Gesell and Adam Woodbury will be starting for Iowa this year. Gesell had 18 points in 19 minutes in their exhibition game. He was 3 of 5 from beyond the arc. How much more competitive would we be if those two were starting for us instead?

We might not have had a great chance to get Woodbury, but we had a chance. But not getting Gesell really sits in my craw, I gotta be honest.

:huh:

I agree Norm. NU not getting Gesell really didn't sit too well with me. He is/was the first in the line of some good kids to come out of the area(Gesell, Woodbury, Agau, Thurman, etc) and so far NU is 0 for 3 in that department. The state of Nebraska and area don't produce a lot of Div 1 recruits, but when there is some, they have to get them to stay home. I don't really put Agau on Miles too much as he got in the game late with him, but Thurman will be one to see if he can get him to stay. I have heard from some that say that Thurman is a better prospect than Agau. From those that know, is that true. I have also heard rumors that Coach Miles is putting a full court press on Agau to try to get him to stay. Anyone know this? Thanks.

The worm has to turn at some point, right? I will give Miles credit for seeming like he understands the challenge he faces and, further, for being one who has actually taken programs that were on skid row and turning them into respectable programs. But it's easier done at lower levels. Climbing to the top of a major conference is a different animal. The teams that CSU faced in conference, game in and game out, are not going to be on the level of the teams that we face in the B1G.

About the time we were making the switch to the B1G, I had a chance to talk with Andy Markowski, and his analysis was that the difference Doc would face by switching conferences was that the coaching in the B1G was stronger top to bottom than in the Big 12. And while Doc might be able to sneak some wins against Big 12 teams in spite of inferior talent, that it wasn't likely to happen nearly as readily in the B1G. Because the coaching is better. Therefore, recruiting had to improve. But it didn't.

So far, Miles has brought in some players but it's yet to be seen whether we're getting any better players than we did under Doc. I'm hopeful that next year's class will be a step up but, so far, I'm not sure it has been. You all can keep an eye on Vucetic as the season progresses and let me know what you think as to whether he's a future star for us or not or whether he's ready for this level of competition or not. Meanwhile, over in Iowa, they have this true freshman point guard starting for them, just like we have. And a true freshman 7' tall center, just like we have, except theirs is starting.

I should get over it. It took me awhile but I eventually got over Roburt Sallie not playing here. I'll get over Gesell too. By the time he graduates, I'm sure his recruitment will be a faded memory. Unless we're still the cellar dweller of the B1G and Iowa is making tournaments. If that happens, I'm sure I'll be suffering from trichotillomania and other similar disorders.

I haven't heard this from anyone. Agau had top tier D1 offers from tons of schools before the end of his freshman year. Thurman is a junior and his only offer to date is from UNO.

Thanks. I don't remember where I heard this(probably another board), but hadn't really been able to see him play so I didn't know if this was true or not.

Bruce Chubick, who played for Nebraska but now coaches at Omaha South, started posting on the old HHC board about the time of the coaching change when the Agau recruitment was heating up and he said that he thought one of the other Central kids (I assume it was Thurman) had NBA potential. Not a lock to get to the NBA, but if things fell into place with his game, that he had potential to get there. And that comes from someone who played with a few guys who went to the NBA and played against quite a few more who made it to the show. So, take it for what it's worth, but no less an authority than Bruce Chubick thought one of the Central underclassmen (Thurman?) was better.

Bruce Chubick, who played for Nebraska but now coaches at Omaha South, started posting on the old HHC board about the time of the coaching change when the Agau recruitment was heating up and he said that he thought one of the other Central kids (I assume it was Thurman) had NBA potential. Not a lock to get to the NBA, but if things fell into place with his game, that he had potential to get there. And that comes from someone who played with a few guys who went to the NBA and played against quite a few more who made it to the show. So, take it for what it's worth, but no less an authority than Bruce Chubick thought one of the Central underclassmen (Thurman?) was better.

And yet, the only D1 school to offer Thurman a scholarship so far is the transitional D1, UNO. No offer from Nebraska (by either Doc or Miles), Creighton, Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Drake or anyone else in the area. At this point in their high school careers, Agau had about 20 offers and Gessel had double digit offers as well.

Thurman may still blow up and have a big year, but to date not one established (i.e., one that is not in transition to D1 status) school has felt confident enough to offer a scholarship.

And yet, the only D1 school to offer Thurman a scholarship so far is the transitional D1, UNO. No offer from Nebraska (by either Doc or Miles), Creighton, Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Drake or anyone else in the area. At this point in their high school careers, Agau had about 20 offers and Gessel had double digit offers as well.

Thurman may still blow up and have a big year, but to date not one established (i.e., one that is not in transition to D1 status) school has felt confident enough to offer a scholarship.

OK, Creighton Fan, you needn't be a dumbass about this. You said you'd never heard anyone say that Thurman was better. And maybe he's not. I have no idea. But, I have seen someone who has some expertise in this area who has said there's a kid on Central's team (think it might have been Thurman but as I conveyed above, I'm not totally sure) who's better. So, it has been said. Feel free to disagree with Bruce Chubick. But take your disagreement up with him, not me.

OK, Creighton Fan, you needn't be a dumbass about this. You said you'd never heard anyone say that Thurman was better. And maybe he's not. I have no idea. But, I have seen someone who has some expertise in this area who has said there's a kid on Central's team (think it might have been Thurman but as I conveyed above, I'm not totally sure) who's better. So, it has been said. Feel free to disagree with Bruce Chubick. But take your disagreement up with him, not me.

Don't know how I'm being a "dumbass." You don't even know if Thurman was who Chubick was talking about....

And even if he was, college coaches apparently don't agree (at least at this point).

Don't get me wrong - I think Thurman is very skilled and talented. Unfortunately, because of the state of HS basketball in Nebraska, you can be among the best players and still not be D1 caliber. The biggest drawback to college coaching in this state is the lack of D1 kids within our borders. Maybe with another 13 scholarships available at UNO, making a total of 39 freebies at the D1 level, that might start to change? I guess we can hope...