So are we all good with Benny sticking around

Shuttlesworth

I no more than said to my son that having Bennie and Rivers in together was like playing 3 on 5 basketball on offense for UNL when Bennie caused two turnovers in a row for Illinois. I stand by the statement but props to Bennie and David for the fine overall game they played.

Agreed. Benny still is a horrid offensive player, and because of this he pretty much has to play impact defense to make up for his shortcomings. Thankfully he's been doing this of late. Last night was an absolute beauty from Benny on the defensive end.

If he plays like that night in and night out, he can have a spot on my team anytime.

I thought he was more involved with the offense last night than other times this year. Most times he is just been told to stand in the corner. Last night he was moving and causing his defender to not be able to help as much as other times this year.

Is he going to score 10 points, probably not but he did help run the offense last night.

Once Tai gets there we willing have two good point guards. Right now we have 3/4 of a good point guard.:)

Not sure if everyone's heard or seen the story about Miles' sit down with Benny this summer. He basically told Benny, "Look, you're the #3 PG on this team. With you not being able to do much for us offensively, we're not going to have any minutes for you..."

It would have been easy for Benny to swallow his pride and find another school, but he didn't. He took it at as a challenge and found other ways to help the team. The kid legitimately loves being here. Where most would've given up, he didn't. That's the type of kid that I want on this basketball team, regardless of role.

I'll admit Parker has played well the last couple games, but is anyone else surprised at how closely teams are guarding him on the perimeter? He has not made a 3 the entire season, yet it seems like someone is always guarding him closely. I remember last year teams were sagging at least 5 feet off of him.

I think the reason is you cant really sag off him because it creates open space on the floor.  If you have scorers like Pitchford, Gallegos, and Petteway that can hit the 3 coming off a screen you can put Benny out there to create the open space and all you need is that screen and boom open shots.  Last year you only had one consistent 3 point scorer so you could sag more but you cannot do that as much.  Thats my take anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt Timmeh would try to run him off now. I'm happy for him. Like Ubel, I felt like a voice in the in the wilderness supporting Benny after his freshman season. I'm glad his value is becoming obvious now. Oh, and he's starting to score, too.

Honestly, he's our best point guard right now.