Diamondhead Classic 2014

rwmctrofholz

Been watching both games and I would say we are in the harder side of the bracket. 

Although, Colorado reminds me of us, their big 3 point shooter can't hit and they have trouble with up tempo and pressure, when used against them, they want to run but don't like the other team to do so.

Ohio isn't very good, and GW is not bad, maybe in the good to very good range.

I think that we should be the second to third best team in this tournament.

But we haven't played yet so I guess i should keep my pie hole shut, huh? :lol:

Colo 36, DeP 33 - halftime

If Colo doesn't make some good HT adjustments, they're in for a real dog fight in the 2nd half against what appears to be an inferior team. Purnell got the better of Boyle in the first half for sure.

Worst ribbon board ad on the scorer's table is definitely the light blue Burger King ad. By about 2 a.m. that bright one is going to be seared on my retinas.  :wacko:

Been watching both games and I would say we are in the harder side of the bracket. 

Although, Colorado reminds me of us, their big 3 point shooter can't hit and they have trouble with up tempo and pressure, when used against them, they want to run but don't like the other team to do so.

Ohio isn't very good, and GW is not bad, maybe in the good to very good range.

I think that we should be the second to third best team in this tournament.

But we haven't played yet so I guess i should keep my pie hole shut, huh? :lol:

I'd agree, I do like our chances on Xmas Day, regardless of who we play. GW looks like the one team that we would match up least favorably against, especially with the bruiser they have in the middle - Benny will have to be on top of his game vs Savage if that's the opponent we get Xmas Day in the title game.  ;) Gotta think positive.

Colo 57 DeP 45 <1200 timeout

Looks like DePaul's biggest problem in the 2H has been an inability to score to set up their press, Demons started the 2nd H 1-10 on FG attempts.

The officials in both games today have called a ton of offensive fouls, giving the defender a lot of leeway in establishing position - I'd imagine there's only 2 crews in Hawaii, maybe one group doing games 1 & 3 and the other doing 2 & 4? If that's the case, Terran needs to be careful tonight about his off arm and the push he likes to use to gain space. And if you try to put your head down and lead with the shoulder to draw contact, it's going to get called nearly every time.

Colo 48, DeP 37 <1600 timeout

Sorry I have no idea how Colo pulled away after halftime - been fixated on BYU-Memphis football in double OT.  ;)

Quite the Donnybrooke to end that one huh?  I don't want to make this sound wrong, but the players from Memphis were much better at an all out brawl than the BYU kids.  I am talking all the Memphis players, they were throwing bunches and kicking and stomping on BYU guys.  The BYU kids with Samoian last names held their own, but the rest were getting their $h!t tossed pretty good. 

Sorry I have no idea how Colo pulled away after halftime - been fixated on BYU-Memphis football in double OT.  ;)

Quite the Donnybrooke to end that one huh?  I don't want to make this sound wrong, but the players from Memphis were much better at an all out brawl than the BYU kids.  I am talking all the Memphis players, they were throwing bunches and kicking and stomping on BYU guys.  The BYU kids with Samoian last names held their own, but the rest were getting their $h!t tossed pretty good. 

I think the BYU kids better add the city of Memphis to their mission field agenda.  Appears there's work to be done there.....  ;)

I think the BYU kids better add the city of Memphis to their mission field agenda.  Appears there's work to be done there.....  ;)

yep the BYU kids found out about the dirty south and rednecks are all about. B)

Yeah that was as nasty of a college football fight as I've seen in a while - BYU players may have lost most of the individual fights, but #12 got in a good cheap shot as he was leaving the field ;)

I wonder if any suspensions will be handed down that would carry over to next year's season-opening NU-BYU game? Guessing not.  ;) Probably suspend them for the spring game instead. 

Yeah that was as nasty of a college football fight as I've seen in a while - BYU players may have lost most of the individual fights, but #12 got in a good cheap shot as he was leaving the field ;)

I wonder if any suspensions will be handed down that would carry over to next year's season-opening NU-BYU game? Guessing not.  ;) Probably suspend them for the spring game instead. 

It's going to be hard to top the first-ever Miami Beach Bowl.

Maybe they should rename it to the "Miami Beach Brawl" instead...

It's hard to say how we'll fare against UH tonight, it'll be a tough one for sure because of the home court factor and all.  One thing I know, though is we'd better be praying for a Wichita win tonight because if we lose to the 'Bows and have to face the Shockers in the losers bracket, it'll be an almost certain guarantee that we'll be flying back from Honolulu with at least 2 L's for the trip with at least one of those to a sub-200 KenPom team.

How long of a break is there between games? LMU/WSU will start on time, so assuming things don't go crazy long, 12:30 is probably a good estimate for tonight's start time.

This afternoon was about a 25-min break between games. The first game only ran about 1:50, so the 2nd game started about 3:45 Central, only 15 minutes after scheduled start time. I'd guess WSU-LM could get out of hand quickly and be an under-2-hour game too without a bunch of fouls at the end.

Anybody watching WSU getting the shaft tonight?

It Is interesting that the other Hawaii tournament has a lot of really great teams in it year after year. Kansas, Mich. St., Kent, Duke. Etc.

Sometimes there will be more than one of these types of teams in it in the same year. BUT... Not in this one, most of the great programs know that this is a no win situation for them.

I agree with Doc. Don't ever come back to this tournament, isn't worth the negatives that happen because of it.