Coaches like/dislike

roscoe

Just curious as to who are some of the coaches people like and don't like.

My don't like list would include Bill Self, John Cailpari and Rick Pitino even though I've liked Louisville since I got to watch them play in Lincoln back in Dr. Dunkensteins day.

I like Tom Izzo, Tom Crean and Jim Boeheim. And a couple coaches who I like thatno longer roam the sidelines are Lute Olsen and Nolan Richardson.

Interested in others.

Cannot stand Tom Crean.  The way he took off after that Ohio State assistant coach after Indian beat them a year or two ago revealed a major flaw in his character.  He might be able to hide it from time to time, but only a genuine asshole would do something like that.

I bet family dinners are a ball of fun with his brother-in-laws...

Agree with Norm on Crean.  Was not a fan of Norm Stewart or Billy Tubbs.  Not a fan of Gary WIlliams (got to know him a little up close and personal).  Not as big a fan of Roy Williams as most.  Definitely not a fan of Barone (again, some first hand interaction). Not like category for Knight, Gillespie, Calipari, Pitino.

Liked Wooden even though I always cheered against UCLA.  Liked Moe.  Johnny Orr.  Boeheim.  Loved Colgate coach Jack Bruen.  Majerus and Spoonhour.  Tark. 

Coaches I have liked over the years:  Eddie Sutton, Billy Tubbs (he helped make the Big 8 relevant in BB), Bob Knight (as a coach, not the antics or the personality), Lute Olson, Danny Nee (still the best at NU), Johnny Orr, Ralph Miller (Hall of Famer for you young guys), Larry Brown (Denver Nuggets and KU) Al McGuire ("seashells and balloons") "Mean Gene" Keady, Johnny Oldham (Western Kentucky when they had Clem "the Gem" Haskins), Tom Apke, and the always quotable Abe Lemons.  Another late edition, I loved "Stormin' Norm Stewart at Mizzou, sad he never made the Final Four. (dang that Tyus Edney, next to Danny Ainge's length of the floor drive as the best I remember)

Today:  Bill Self (a very nice guy), Rick Barnes (don't like Texas but I like the fact he doesn't make excuses), Bo Ryan, Roy Williams, Sean Miller, Mike Montgomery, Lon Kruger (a winner wherever he has been) and a guy named Tim Miles.

Don't Like:  Coach K, Jim "the Whiner" Boeheim, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, most coaches in the Big East (except Greg McDermott), 

Just curious as to who are some of the coaches people like and don't like.

My don't like list would include Bill Self, John Cailpari and Rick Pitino even though I've liked Louisville since I got to watch them play in Lincoln back in Dr. Dunkensteins day.

I like Tom Izzo, Tom Crean and Jim Boeheim. And a couple coaches who I like thatno longer roam the sidelines are Lute Olsen and Nolan Richardson.

Interested in others.

Switch Self and Boeheim and you'd have my lists.

Use to love Dale Brown at LSU, and I can't believe no one has mentioned Jimmy V. Also loved Hueser at Kearney St. back when the were an NAIA powerhouse. 

No Lynn Farrell on your like list Handy. Likes/Liked   Nee, Coach K, McGuire, Miles, Hartman.

Dislikes/ed all of the coaches that beat Nebraska but mostly Stewart, Sutton always looked like he was gonna cry. Motta A Norm Stewart look alike. And that guy that liked to throw chairs. 

Use to love Dale Brown at LSU, and I can't believe no one has mentioned Jimmy V. Also loved Hueser at Kearney St. back when the were an NAIA powerhouse. 

No Lynn Farrell on your like list Handy. Likes/Liked   Nee, Coach K, McGuire, Miles, Hartman.

Dislikes/ed all of the coaches that beat Nebraska but mostly Stewart, Sutton always looked like he was gonna cry. Motta A Norm Stewart look alike. And that guy that liked to throw chairs. 

Are you old enough to remember coach Holiday at Aurora? He was quite a character, and had a solid program for many years.

Hmmm.  Going to go a bit old school on this list.

Liked: 

Lloyd Eugene "Gene" Keady from Purdue had one of the best, worst comb-overs in college basketball.  He played football in college and coached college basketball.  A guy with a bad comb-over who played football and coached basketball -- at a very high level.  What's not to like there?

Jimmy Valvano.  Running around the floor like a chicken with his head cut off after NC State beat Houston for the NCAA Title?  One of the best Cinderella moments in the history of the game.  Definitely liked.

Digger Phelps.  I mean, first, his name is Digger.  OK, actually, that's just his nickname.  But a guy who makes it in life going by "Digger"?  Good on him.

Charlie Spoonhour.  He was an assistant at Nebraska and went on to take Southwest Missouri State not only to the NCAA tourney but won a game there.  (I thought they made it to the Sweet 16, but I could be wrong.)  Then took St. Louis to the NCAAs and won a game there.

Johnny Orr.  Had to like Johnny Orr. 

Dean Smith.  Respect.  Total class.  Record of consecutive Sweet 16s was amazing.  And he openly admired Tom Osborne.

Disliked:

Billy Tubbs.  Positively could not stand Billy Tubbs.  Too many reasons to list.

Eddie Sutton.  That whole thing with Kentucky.  Couldn't get over that.

Joey Meyer.  Never felt like he "earned" the head job at DePaul, and the program has never really recovered from him taking over from his dad.