uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 21 - Indiana

uneblinstu

- Man, I thought when we got up 7-2 it was gonna be off to the races. Then Indiana settled into the zone and we got a slop fest and we had no idea how to handle it. Miles called it tentative. That's about right. We stopped attacking the rim. 

- Completely opposite in the second half. They got that intensity back on defense. I was suprised Indiana didn't open the 2nd half in the zone. That gave the Huskers the opportunity to get back in the game and they took it. To cut it from 13 to five before the first media segment was HUGE! Indiana really had no answer from there.

- That turnaround from the Shavon charge (which I think we caught a break on that one) to the Gallegos three and one was the turning point of the game. That was a seven point swing. Game changed.

- How about Hawkins?! Huge minutes. He might be the guy to get Biggs' minutes and that shot to tie it at 46 sent the place into the stratosphere. Big time shot for the kid. If he keeps playing well, that could spell trouble for Parker's playing time.

- We looked like we had better athletes than Indiana. 

- Hoosiers have some flaws of their own. They lack a shooter, big time. Our zone in the second half really stymied them.

- Vonleh is talented, but he basically disappeared tonight. 

- Crowd of the year. Excellent stuff tonight.

- Petteway's stepback 3 was unfair. If he can hit that shot, he'll be unguardable and he's pretty much there as it is...

Alright, that's all I have time for tonight...

This post has been promoted to an article

When we were down 16 in the first half, I was thinking how foolish my thread looked about it not taking a miracle.

When we were up 6 with 5 to play I was thinking MAN I'M FRICKIN' GENIUS!!!

OK, no, that's not really what I was thinking.  I was actually thinking finally we get some breaks and some things to fall our way.  Not that many years ago, we were the team that surrendered a huge lead, which probably cost us a trip to the dance. 

Is this, dare I say, a team of destiny?

Ok, so, a lot of this is Petteway.  We've seen a lot of teams and, at this point in the season, I'd say he's absolutely no worse than 3rd team all conference.

I am so glad that he's settled in.  He has an ability to get to the rim.  He's clutch.  He's really playing a lot smarter and not trying to force the offense and just letting it come to him.  Good things on the horizon for that young man.  Hopefully we get two more full seasons out of him.

Leslee Smith is looking stronger in post defense.  I kept an eye on him defending the post and the guy can body up.  He was doing a pretty decent job on Von leh and the other guy in not letting them establish good position in the low blocks.  Very good to see.

Ray Gallegos's on-ball defense has improved sooo amazingly much during his time here.  You'd expect it would, right?  Some, anyway?  But he was doing such a good job moving his feet, staying in front of Ferrell, denying dribble penetration.  He might be the defensive player of the game for us.

I think Shavon is coming out of his funk.  Slowly.  But he's getting there.  He's realizing he needs to be a bit more assertive on the offensive end.  He's still turning down shots I think he can and should take.  But he's making a bit of a living at the rim and that's very good to see. 

Hawkins pulling himself out of the dog house.  Timely three pointer.  He didn't want to take it but by about the third ball reversal with no one out there guarding him ...

I know some of you guys hate me talking about this but I think Walt has some issues with his shot that make him very inconsistent.  There's a lot of extra movement in his shooting stroke and if he could make it a bit more compact and increase his launch angle just a bit, I think he'd have a little more consistent of a shot.

I was hoping they could cut it to single digits before half but they cut it to single digits almost immediately after half and then Ray had his 4 point play and we were in business.  Dayum, exciting game.  Heart attack.  It's fun when we win.

Benny was the only player to really struggle tonight.  He has to take those open looks though.  Some days they will fall, tonight they didn't.  Loved see the Hawk back.  He is out of the doghouse and he will help.  Petteway - wow.  Walter, Leslee, Shovon, David, Tai and Ray.  All of you, nicely done!

(snipped)

- How about Fuller?! Huge minutes. He might be the guy to get Biggs' minutes and that shot to tie it at 46 sent the place into the stratosphere. Big time shot for the kid. If he keeps playing well, that could spell trouble for Parker's playing time.

Yeah, Fuller looked pretty good in warm-ups.  Saw him drain a few threes, actually.  Don't think he'll get Biggs' minutes, though.

Hawkins might.  He looked good too. 

Yeah, my vocal cords could use a rest as well.  That's what summer is for.

Two observations:

Indiana had six men on us the entire first half - literally.  Get Tom Crean off the  floor!

Leslee Smith is a stud.  Is he perhaps the most underrated player in the league?  Great job on shutting down Noah tonight.

Easy to forget Walter.  He played stud like defense on him as well.

Won that game on the defensive end in the 2nd half - the zone was terrific

And Petteway is amazing when he gets going, but the key in the 2nd half was how everyone else stepped up with big shots too - IU tried to take him out of it by face guarding him, and other guys made them pay.

That's the kind of win that can really fuel a team going forward.

We were outrebounded 20-8 in the first half.  And something like 11 turnovers.

Next thing you know, middle of the second half, and the rebounding margin is 25-19.  And we end up with 14 turnovers total.

Defense helped, obviously, but I'd say reversing the rebounding numbers and eliminating (all but 3) turnovers in the 2nd half was what made the difference in the game.

OK - good win, nice comeback and all that.  I realize we won and had a really nice comeback so why am I so depressed having watched that mess. Playing  Indiana made me think about how Bob Knight cared more about how the game was played and how his team performed than wins and loses. We won because we stepped up as a team in the second half but it seemed more to me that Indiana couldn't stop turning the ball and bank shots aside, can't shoot the rock. I'm glad we won but we had more poor plays than good ones. It just seems to me that Indiana deserved to lose more than we deserved to win. This is one of the many reasons I don't have my own team anymore. Big win and I'd have to fake the big smile with the parents post-game. Put on the happy face with the team and then boy do I need a couple beers to get through the game tape. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade or first two conference wins in a row party, but we were not a good basketball team tonight. It is always better to learn from a win than a lose (losing tonight would have been crushing) but we go a lot to learn. Plenty of positive highlights to emphasis but we have a long way to go to be a consistently good basketball team.

(snipped)

- How about Fuller?! Huge minutes. He might be the guy to get Biggs' minutes and that shot to tie it at 46 sent the place into the stratosphere. Big time shot for the kid. If he keeps playing well, that could spell trouble for Parker's playing time.

Yeah, Fuller looked pretty good in warm-ups.  Saw him drain a few threes, actually.  Don't think he'll get Biggs' minutes, though.

Hawkins might.  He looked good too. 

Damn it...