Scouting Indiana

hhcmatt

Indiana generates a lot of contact but doesn't foul.  Given that the Huskers generate a lot of their points at the FT line and tend to get into foul trouble...we could be in trouble.

They turn over the ball a lot....can we capitalize on that?

Can we come up with as good of a game plan to stop Yogi Ferrell as we did stopping Minnesota's point guard?

Indiana generates a lot of contact but doesn't foul.  Given that the Huskers generate a lot of their points at the FT line and tend to get into foul trouble...we could be in trouble.

They turn over the ball a lot....can we capitalize on that?

Can we come up with as good of a game plan to stop Yogi Ferrell as we did stopping Minnesota's point guard?

Foul trouble: I've got an odd feeling that we're always going to struggle with fouls this season. Also, I don't have any substantiation to back this up, but I feel like there's a correlation between not being able to get to the foul line and shooting up exorbitant amounts of three-point shots.

Turnovers: prior to the Minnesota game, we were 4th in the Big Ten in steals. Maybe it's be ignorance, but who knew?

Game plan: I feel like Miles is starting to find a solid lineups. Sure, we lost some games that could constitute poor coaching execution, but he's been more solid these last 3-4 games. I think player confidence may play a role in this as well.

ferrell's a human catapult. vonleh could be a tough matchup, so I'm hoping Les is in good form.

this is still a good matchup for us, at least at home. Hoosier's are pretty inefficient with their possessions, they need a lot of shots to score a lot of points, and while they may not foul, they're not especially good defensively against teams that can drive and score.

I think we should accept the challenge and run with these guys. We just have to be careful about fouls, since I think that's how Indiana beats us, especially if we decide to run with them.

Indiana (#64) Kenpom rundown 1-28-14.
==============================

Non Conference (10-3):

283. Chicago State - W (100-72)

304. LIU Brooklyn - W (73-72)
305. Samford - W (105-59)
108. Stony Brook - W (90-74)

---2K Sports Classic---
104. Washington - W (102-84)

33. UConn - L (58-59)

216. Evansville - W (77-46)

---B1G/ACC Challenge---

3. @Syracuse - L (69-52)

257. North Florida - W (89-68)
168. Oakland - W (81-54)

---Crossroads Classic---

72. Notre Dame - L (72-79)

308. Nicholls State - W (79-66)

344. Kennesaw State - W (90-66)

B1G (3-4):
89. @Illinois - L (80-83 OT)
11. Michigan State - L (56-73)
106. @Penn State - W (79-76)

13. Wisconsin - W (75-72)

146. Northwestern - L (47-54)

11. @Michigan State - L (66-71)

89. Illinois - W (56-46)

NU will need a spark off the bench, I presume.  Who knows, maybe a Hawkins' sighting is in the offing...

Maybe we can get a FGCU type game out of Parker. Or a game like Minnesota with those two J's. 

Biggs was a talented scorer so I would assume that teammates would defer to him on offense at points.

When you lose a guy like that, then someone else has to step up and fill that role.  I'm not exactly sure who that is going to be and hopefully Indiana isn't either. :)

If NU can contain Noah Vonleh w/o leaving open IU shooters on the perimeter, it ought to bode well for the Big Red's hopes of a W.

NU will need a spark off the bench, I presume. Who knows, maybe a Hawkins' sighting is in the offing...

Well, sure glad that Hawkins' sighting was a POSITIVE one for US ALWAYS!! Fun to see him emerge from the shell he'd been in!

If NU can contain Noah Vonleh w/o leaving open IU shooters on the perimeter, it ought to bode well for the Big Red's hopes of a W.

NU will need a spark off the bench, I presume. Who knows, maybe a Hawkins' sighting is in the offing...

Well, sure glad that Hawkins' sighting was a POSITIVE one for US ALWAYS!! Fun to see him emerge from the shell he'd been in!

It was great how the crowd was SCREAMING for him to take that shot.  The guys had to pass it to him three times before he did, but he finally shot it and made Indiana pay for sagging off him so much.  I loved it!

• 1 month later...

On Wednesday, Indiana will be playing its 4th game in 9 days. Probably not too big of a deal since the last 3 of the 4 will have been at home. Still, let's hope are a little sluggish on Wednesday and looking ahead to Michigan next Saturday, because we've been a little sluggish last couple times out and are due to break out. Indiana has lost to Penn State and Northwestern at home, but beaten Michigan and Wisconsin at home. Really don't know what to expect out of them.