Seth Davis Top 25 Poll

GoBigRed

Why would he say this?

1. Ariz 2. Syr 3. Fla 4. Kan 5. Wich St 6. Mich 7. Mich St 8. Iowa 9. SDSU 10. Ok St 11. Kent 12. Nova 13. Cincy 14. Wisc 15. Okl 16. Mem 17. Lou 18. UMass 19. Iowa St 20. St. Lou 21. UConn 22. Pitt 23. Duke 24. Creighton 25. Texas. Tied for 26th: Ohio St, Gonzaga, Minn, Nebraska, La Tech, Prov, VCU, Virginia, Toledo, Xavier, K State

This is actually what he submitted for his AP poll last night.

Obviously we're nowhere close to being ranked. So did he just try and feed Twitter trolls? (Matt Perrault was first to respond, shockingly). Or did he not hear about the Penn State game?

By his poll, our losses are to #6, #8, #13, #18, #24, #26, and then UAB, Purdue and Penn State.

In his opinion, the Big Ten pecking order right now is:

1. Michigan

2. Michigan State

3. Iowa

4. Wisconsin

5. Ohio State

6. Minnesota

7. Nebraska

8-12. Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Penn State

I mean, I guess I would like our chances against each of the 5 below us on a neutral court... :unsure:

OMG!  HE HATES US HE JUST WANTS TO SCREW WITH OUR MINDS!!!

...please...

It is what it is.  Mostly meaningless.

Just thought it was interesting that he would consider us one of the top 36 teams in the nation...not often that we receive anything close to that. Meaningless, yeah, but noteworthy, I think so. Sorry if you disagree.

What I think it says is that we're not the only ones who think we're not that far away from being a very good team.  Over the last couple of weeks, that's been a consistent refrain.  

Someone says the 4-letter "n" word (as in "NCAA") and other's roll their eyes and say "here we go again."

Someone points out that our record would be bubble-worthy if we'd won a couple of the close ones that we ended up losing and other's roll their eyes and say "why do we do this to ourselves."

Yes, there's been a lot of up-and-down discussion.  We win and people start using that "n" word.  We lose and people start acting like the sky is falling.  I've avoided participating in threads after the losses for the most part.  And I'm not saying we're going to get to the dance this year.

But this team is competing better than any team we've had since Ade Dagunduro was a senior.  You feel like this is a team that could beat some people.  Especially at home.  And for once, it's not just us -- the die-hard fans of the program -- who are noticing and thinking what we're thinking.

Again, from Seth Davis's twitter feed:

1. Jeff Rabjohns @JeffRabjohns 14h
  2. Nebraska, Indiana's next opponent, has beaten Ohio St, Minnesota and lost to Michigan by 1 the past 2+ weeks.
  3. Retweeted by Seth Davis

1. 5:29 PM - 26 Jan 2014 · Details
    1. @JeffRabjohns not to mention they play really really well in their new home
    Details Expand Collapse

1. @JeffRabjohns @SethDavisHoops Indiana ve Nebraska winner moving up. Toward NCAA bid!!
    Details Expand Collapse

All these guys want to be able to say they were "first" on the bandwagon, so he's likely throwing a dozen names at the wall and hoping one or two will stick until the end of the season.

And there are a lot of reasons to look at NU and say they could make a late season surge - young team that should continue to improve, 2nd year coach who has a track record of improving programs steadily and whose team made nice improvements as the season wore on last season, team that will be very difficult to beat at home, big crowds in a new arena so there's positive buzz around the program, plays in a conference where a sub-.500 record in league play still could yield an NCAA berth, a team that has already gone through the most difficult part of its schedule, etc.

Those of us up close see all the warts that maybe someone looking from afar doesn't see at first glance. Plus those of us who've followed the team for years can't help but hold the occurrences of the past against the current team, as it feels like we've been at this point over and over, but unable to finish. I like to think I don't judge this team's chances/results based on NU's past, but I know deep down I do, even to a limited extent. Call it the "here we go again" effect. ;)  Someone looking from afar doesn't necessarily have that built-in "sense of doom" regarding NU.

Other than UAB and Penn at do we really have a bad loss. Again with where the big ten ranks ...does 16-17 wins with a win in tourney get you in?

Lot of teams seem to be down thi year.

I hate myself for even talking like this as we could just lay an egg from here on out.

What win total get you on the bubble or in from the big ten?

Obviously we want osu an minny to have strong years from here in out

You cannot make the NCAA tournament without road wins (short of winning your conference tournament).  It just cannot happen.

We are 0-6 on the road and lost our most winnable road game, PSU and another very winnable game in Purdue.

We need road wins!  Road wins!  Oh yeah, and we pretty much have to win the rest of our home games.

The only game I think we have a good shot at winning on the road is Northwestern.

After that we would have to pull of what would certainly be an upset in Illinois.

More from Seth Davis:

The most underrated fan base in America is Nebraska's. I'm not just talking about football. Those folks turn out in droves for everything, including non-revenue sports, and they are doing a great job filling the brand new Pinnacle Bank Arena. If Tim Miles could ever get it rolling out, that place could become one of the toughest arenas to visit in America.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140127/hoop-thoughts/#ixzz2reNNMZUf

More from Seth Davis:

The most underrated fan base in America is Nebraska's. I'm not just talking about football. Those folks turn out in droves for everything, including non-revenue sports, and they are doing a great job filling the brand new Pinnacle Bank Arena. If Tim Miles could ever get it rolling out, that place could become one of the toughest arenas to visit in America.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140127/hoop-thoughts/#ixzz2reNNMZUf

It's already there

90% all-time win pct.  :D

I consider all home games from here on out as wins.  Thursday's game is huge for post season, but I'm considering it a win.  PBA is becoming a very difficult place to play in the Big10. 

I think we're also just scratching the surface on Petteway's potential.  We saw last night what we have when he puts 2 halves together.  NIT is looking very likely if we hold serve at home.