'Fans' leaving at 1:19 left in the Game

I discovered a few seats away from me is a knitter I nearly choked on my water

Lol...my dad and I used to have a family across from us that would come to the games with a stack of books and/or magazines and just read the entire game looking up maybe a few time. Not sure if they made the jump to the PBA with the rest of us.

This was supposed to be fixed as soon as the team gave the fans something worth watching.  So, I guess a win over a conference foe in a game that went down to the wire wasn't anything worth watching.  Apparently.

No, that was never supposed to be fixed.  It was predicted on here going into the season that it would be even worse then Devaney due to the parking situation.  And the predicton has, of course, come true.  

If everyone wants to let the fact that some fans leave early make them miserable, hey, go ahead.  You'll be pissed off for the rest of your lives, 'cause it ain't stopping.  (Kind of like me and the  refs ;) )  For me, I am focusing on how cool it is that after several seasons of having between 4,000 and 8,000 people watching the Huskers, we have well over 15,000 for every conference game, despite being a game out of last place, crappy weather, and every game being on TV.  Well done, Husker basketball fans!

Very simple. Leaving the 100 section early you should have to exit up. Not move towards and across the floor.

Agreed. Complaining about the fans that leave early is pretty useless, we can't control it. PBA can control where they exit though, and players/fans that stay til the end shouldn't have to watch them stream out in front of them.

All of you should send emails to the athletic department about this. I plan to this morning. Such a simple fix to save the university embarrassment.

...okay a bit more, it is not much ado about nothing.  If they want to leave, then get the hell out of the place and don't hover in front of fans who stay.  Also, go an invisible route, do not smile and walk out where the TV cameras can see the mass exit. 

If you want to leave on the floor, the ushers herd everyone to the same single exit.  At least part of the problem lies with Pinnacle Bank and their unwillingness to allow people into the hallways on the floor. 

Regardless, I am going to leave early.  I won't leave until I believe the game is not in doubt (which meant I stayed until the very last second against Michigan), but I am going to leave the second I believe the outcome has been decided.  I have zero interest in sitting in traffic. 

Your stereotype about us fans, at least in my case (and those I sit with), are a bit off.  Been going to games for over 25 years and cheer as loud as anyone in the buiding.  I love Huskers basketball more than Huskers football. 

But I'm not sitting in traffic.  No way, no how.   

Very simple. Leaving the 100 section early you should have to exit up. Not move towards and across the floor.

Agreed. Complaining about the fans that leave early is pretty useless, we can't control it. PBA can control where they exit though, and players/fans that stay til the end shouldn't have to watch them stream out in front of them.

All of you should send emails to the athletic department about this. I plan to this morning. Such a simple fix to save the university embarrassment.

So if you are sitting in one of the very front rows, maybe even the front row, you have to walk up to the second floor, walk a few feet, then walk down again?  That's ridiculous.  Not going to happen.

The problem is in the desig of the arena.  If you could leave through any of the our exits on the floor (like you could at Devaney) it would be fine.  But they don't allow that at Pinnacle.  They herd everyone to the same exit. 

What they should really do is open up those other three exits and make people in those sections leave through them instead. 

This was supposed to be fixed as soon as the team gave the fans something worth watching.  So, I guess a win over a conference foe in a game that went down to the wire wasn't anything worth watching.  Apparently.

No, that was never supposed to be fixed.  It was predicted on here going into the season that it would be even worse then Devaney due to the parking situation.  And the predicton has, of course, come true.  

If everyone wants to let the fact that some fans leave early make them miserable, hey, go ahead.  You'll be pissed off for the rest of your lives, 'cause it ain't stopping.  (Kind of like me and the  refs ;) )  For me, I am focusing on how cool it is that after several seasons of having between 4,000 and 8,000 people watching the Huskers, we have well over 15,000 for every conference game, despite being a game out of last place, crappy weather, and every game being on TV.  Well done, Husker basketball fans!

Agreed. We had our second largest attendance at the PBA tonight.  

I think part of the problem is the structure of college basketball with time outs hoarded and the team which is behind beginning to foul in order to "conserve the remaining time". I love basketball but do not enjoy watching a free throw shooting contest parading from one foul line to the other, punctuated by interminable huddles ( and commercials on tv). We left home to get to a restaurant at 6:40 and live outside town.  There were 2 minutes left in the game. We drove to the place, were seated, and the grandson fired up his eBay at about 7:10 and the game was still not over. So I can understand those folks who may have had other commitments  on a Sunday night not staying until the bitter end.

So if you are sitting in one of the very front rows, maybe even the front row, you have to walk up to the second floor, walk a few feet, then walk down again?  That's ridiculous.  Not going to happen.

The problem is in the desig of the arena.  If you could leave through any of the our exits on the floor (like you could at Devaney) it would be fine.  But they don't allow that at Pinnacle.  They herd everyone to the same exit. 

What they should really do is open up those other three exits and make people in those sections leave through them instead. 

Yes, I think they can and should just deem it a security risk to have several people coming towards the floor while the game is in process. 

If you are in the club seating, as I am, you walk up to pee and you walk up to eat the buffet, walk your butt up the stairs to leave early.  :)   Many Nebraskans might benefit from the cardio.

I said that tongue planted firmly in cheek.  Drummin' Husker brought it up on "another board" a couple of years ago how Husker fans would leave the Bob early instead of sticking around to cheer on the team, and a few a-holes on steroids who had convinced themselves that firing Doc was the solution to all of our hoops problems jumped on him like a pitbull on a bag of cats.  Fans would stay as soon as they were given something worth watching, they assured us.  Uh, yeah, about that ...  :rolleyes:

I have no idea what this traffic jam everyone that leaves early is talking about. I've never had to wait in traffic. Granted last night was one of the few times I didn't stick around at a bar after the game, but I walked right to my car, pulled right out of the parking lot, right onto 9th street and off I went. Zero waiting. If you want to leave early fine but they really shouldn't herd everyone to the same exit. It looks bad on TV when there is a line behind one basket and the game isn't over yet.

I have no idea what this traffic jam everyone that leaves early is talking about. I've never had to wait in traffic. Granted last night was one of the few times I didn't stick around at a bar after the game, but I walked right to my car, pulled right out of the parking lot, right onto 9th street and off I went. Zero waiting. If you want to leave early fine but they really shouldn't herd everyone to the same exit. It looks bad on TV when there is a line behind one basket and the game isn't over yet.

Yeah.  People in Nebraska have weird ideas about what, exactly, constitutes traffic.

I've only seen one semi-mild case of post game traffic, and that was after the FGCU game when the O street viaduct was closed.  Otherwise, it's been a piece of cake.  And I stay till the end of games.

+2

We sold out the arena... naturally there are going to be a number of fans who aren't diehards and do not care to stay until the end - especially with 8:00 PM start times. There are going to be some diehards who do not care to stay until the end. That's their prerogative. While I might think they're crazy during games like Michigan or Minnesota, I do not understand why people would let it bother them or go out of their way to heckle them.

I had a friend leave the game early (before half time) last night because he and his wife were going to a concert in Omaha. Is he a "bad fan" for leaving early or a better fan for driving 2 hours round trip to watch the first half? Why does it even matter?

It reflects on the new brand that is Nebraska basketball that is why it matters.  I don't heckle and don't care if people leave early but don't show them trouncing across to one exit on TV and don't block people by standing around trying to watch the finish while you sneak out.

So does selling out a 15,000+ seat arena. Would we prefer to only sell 8,000 or so tickets to "diehards" that stay for the entire game?

Not disagreeing with anything your saying - I would prefer all the exits remain open. But as far as our "brand" goes, we're Nebraska basketball... we can't really expect the best of both worlds (selling out and everyone being "diehards") at this point.

It reflects on the new brand that is Nebraska basketball that is why it matters.  I don't heckle and don't care if people leave early but don't show them trouncing across to one exit on TV and don't block people by standing around trying to watch the finish while you sneak out.

So does selling out a 15,000+ seat arena. Would we prefer to only sell 8,000 or so tickets to "diehards" that stay for the entire game?

Not disagreeing with anything your saying - I would prefer all the exits remain open. But as far as our "brand" goes, we're Nebraska basketball... we can't really expect the best of both worlds (selling out and everyone being "diehards") at this point.

Whether it is with Mr. Biggs, fans leaving early down by the court or the music that we play at timeouts.  The meaning of what I underlined above is what is going to determine how far we go in the next 5 years.  And the next 5 years will set us up for the 10 after that.  It is all about the brand and I love the way our head coach gets that.

Whether it is with Mr. Biggs, fans leaving early down by the court or the music that we play at timeouts.  The meaning of what I underlined above is what is going to determine how far we go in the next 5 years.  And the next 5 years will set us up for the 10 after that.  It is all about the brand and I love the way our head coach gets that.

I do not disagree... but you have to build the brand, it doesn't just show up.

A couple guys in the row behind me left with around 2 minutes left and one of them even commented that he was leaving then because he wanted to beat the traffic. I just about said something but figured I'd save my voice for the refs. I actually stick around while my son goes to where the players leave the floor and tries to get a game used souvenir (he got Pitchfords shooting sleeve yesterday). By the time we exited, ate at Jimmy Johns and I walked to parking lot 7 it was clear sailing out of town. I'm a very impatient person but have realized if I show some patience and consideration to others the short wait in traffic isn't that bad.

Same, stayed for whole thing, efficiently but not rudely made way out of the building walked quickly to car and left with absolutely no trouble whatsoever.  Was back home in Omaha before probowl even got to halftime and that started at 6:40.  I also have no clue what is causing people such trouble.  Must just be the early leavers help it flow for me to get out of there when I stay the entire game.  My advice for people worried about traffic is to develop some level of craftiness. 

Last game I was able to get to was the Miami game and we had had a bunch of people come back late from halftime or left early.  It drove my dad absolutely nuts because people were leaving and coming back while the game was being played and they obstructed his view of the game. 

My response to him (and my philosophy) was that now with the new arena there are several (not all by any stretch of the means) people who go to be seen.  Mainly because it's the new thing. 

Whether that's a good or bad thing, it's up to the individual.  But that's how I view it.