uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 20 - Minnesota

uneblinstu

Nice win today.

- Monster, monster game from Petteway.

- Hope Biggs can get things worked out. I'd like to see him overcome whatever is keeping him off the court.

- Loved the way Rivers rebounded.

- Loved to see Parker hit some shots. How long has it been since he's hit a jumper? Seems like it's been about a year.

- Was concerned when Parkers pass caught Petteway off guard.

- Pretty sluggish game from Shields until the end.

- Something's not right with Smith, some of those free throws were pretty ugly.

- Watch Miles on the 3 from Petteway out of the time out and the short shot clock. That was pretty entertaining.

- Finally connected on the lob. 

- There was a point in the first half where we had perhaps our D lineup on the floor. They started with a deficit, I believe, or maybe tied, and left with a lead at 18-15. Absolutely stole a couple of minutes before the main crew came back in. That was a pretty big moment in the game that will likely go unnoticed.

- This team so clearly is a different team at home. They've got to figure out how to play with that emotion and energy on the road. If/when they figure out, you'll see the perception change of this program. Until then, it's going to be more of the same.

Good win today, let's get another one on Thursday.

19 assists tonight including this one for a Petteway Jam http://www.snappytv.com/landing/b1g-network?s=188193

Did Petteway take any bad shots tonight?  If so, not many.

Benny Parker: 2-2.  Nice to see him shoot

David Rivers: over 13 minutes played and a win.

I think Dave has taken his time on the bench and actually' aide something out of it!

We played well tonight aside from free throw shooting and the occasional mental lapse.

Glad we didn't completely fold at the end, we creased but didn't fold.

I can't find a lot to really complain about.  Rivers played well and Shields had an ok game even though he had a tough night, he fought through it and got double figures.  

I can't help but wonder what we look like tonight with Biggs?  Does he just take some points and scoring opportunities away from Petteway?

If this team is going to continue to try to live and die by the 3 I need some heart medicine. 

Finally, Smith went all Wragge on us and he deserves a grammy for his acting.  Once he litteraly just fell down after a shot without being touched.

Just about everyone who played contributed...nobody really had a "bad" game.  I'd still like to see some more minutes out of Rivers.  He is never going to light up the stat sheet but I think his rebounding and athleticism on defense is a nice change of pace.  Should would could...but if he was in at the end vs PSU im not so sure they get all those offensive boards.  His block today was pretty sick.  Kudos to Benny also for stepping up and hitting a few jumpers.  I hope that continues. 

Seriously....I could not F'ing believe the line on the floor exiting the building before the final buzzer. We bitch about the way fans sit and are quiet....but I think the fans that leave early are worse than the ones that don't say a peep the whole game.

I'm actually looking forward to the Indiana game later this week. I have a day long meeting at the Courtyard Thursday...so instead of going home after the meeting I'm getting a room at the hotel for the night.

This is a nice win against a decent team.  Glad we were offensively on tonight, and I really liked the defensive game plan.  Good win all away around.  Message to the fans who choose to leave early, sorry...screw you!  What really pi**es me off is as they are walking out, they stop and attempt to watch the last few minutes, standing in front of those who choose to stay.  BRAVO to the female usher who pushed them out ...end of rant.

Our defensive game plan vs Mathieu was brilliant - gave up a few bunnies out of it, but forced him into 9 turnovers - after watching the way he went off on Wiscy earlier in the week, I was really worried what he would do to us, but the game plan was great vs him.

Vs Smith, defensive effort not so great. Here's my idea. Find the 3-point shooter. Don't leave him. Repeat. Hope that helps.  :P

Also I thought I heard during the TV broadcast that our Smith has an injured hand - hadn't heard that one before. I thought they said it happened vs Ohio St? Not sure if that explains some of the problems he has had the last two games.

Anyone else see the tweet that we are just outside of someone's AP top 25 ballot. We are tied at 26

(Matt Perrault couldn't help replying to this one, LOL)

I saw this and at first thought that might be a bit of stretch, but then realized that we beat two of the other teams listed.  I think this was just Seth Davis' way of acknowledging our recent good play.

I did chuckle at how upset it made some Creighton fans though, the idea that their team of the decade would be considered 24th and Nebraska would be 26th.  They should relax a little.  I think Seth has them pretty low from where they should be and they will have the opportunity to prove him wrong.  But if they go cold from three . . . . . .

This was an interesting exchange from Seth Davis's twitter feed:

1. Jeff Rabjohns @JeffRabjohns 14h
  2. Nebraska, Indiana's next opponent, has beaten Ohio St, Minnesota and lost to Michigan by 1 the past 2+ weeks.
  3. Retweeted by Seth Davis

1. 5:29 PM - 26 Jan 2014 · Details
    1. @JeffRabjohns not to mention they play really really well in their new home
    Details Expand Collapse

1. @JeffRabjohns @SethDavisHoops Indiana ve Nebraska winner moving up. Toward NCAA bid!!
    Details Expand Collapse

I love, adore, live for my Huskers...but a NCAA tournament bid should not be in any conversation regarding Nebraska right now.  We would have to make more than a two game run for us to be in that discussion.  Now, if we had beaten Michigan, Penn State and Purdue, or at least two out of that three, then maybe.

I love, adore, live for my Huskers...but a NCAA tournament bid should not be in any conversation regarding Nebraska right now.  We would have to make more than a two game run for us to be in that discussion.  Now, if we had beaten Michigan, Penn State and Purdue, or at least two out of that three, then maybe.

I personally think that if we'd have just beaten Michigan we'd be justified in having a discussion about it.

I think this was just Seth Davis' way of acknowledging our recent good play.

You didn't see the Penn St game?  It occurred approximately 90 hours ago.  One game does not make a trend (be it PSU or OSU).  Any time you want to analyze where our team is, do it based on a 5 game trend.  I think you'll find that we're roughly were we have been for the last 15 years.

Not that there isn't hope, it's just that we don't have any consistency yet.

I think this was just Seth Davis' way of acknowledging our recent good play.

You didn't see the Penn St game?  It occurred approximately 90 hours ago.  One game does not make a trend (be it PSU or OSU).  Any time you want to analyze where our team is, do it based on a 5 game trend.  I think you'll find that we're roughly were we have been for the last 15 years.

Not that there isn't hope, it's just that we don't have any consistency yet.

A five game trend would be the one point loss to Michigan, a hard fought loss to Purdue, beating OSU, a clunker vs. PSU and manhandeling Minnesota for much of the game.  Which one is not like the others? Especially if you want to use the argument (which I don't) that NU could/should have won all those games. The trend is that Nebraska has played mostly well the past couple of weeks.

Best play of the night...Rivers flashes high and finally gets the ball from Petteway, Minnesota crashes and Rivers kicks it back to Parker for two.  Throughout the game we had missed the guy flashing high but finally found him.

Team seems to play better with Rivers on the floor.

Parker gave us some great minutes.

For me, Minnesota is the basketball rival.  Beating them feels good.

Beat Indiana and we can start thinking CBI and go from there.  Just protect home court.

Best play of the night...Rivers flashes high and finally gets the ball from Petteway, Minnesota crashes and Rivers kicks it back to Parker for two.  Throughout the game we had missed the guy flashing high but finally found him.

Beat Indiana and we can start thinking CBI and go from there.  Just protect home court.

I'm already thinking CBI.  Indiana is for NIT consideration.

I'm already thinking CBI.  Indiana is for NIT consideration.

This