Biggs Out for Gopher Game

throwback

Coach said on pre-game show Biggs' "head isn't in the right place" and he's out for "personal reasons" - not clear if it's Biggs' personal reasons (something going on in Biggs' personal life) or Miles' personal reasons/choice (Biggs did something to get in Miles' dog house again). If I had to guess from listening to Coach, it was Miles' decision because Biggs did something, but Coach was a little evasive in his explanation.

Decision was made just before shootaround today. From the way Coach explained it, it wasn't really on his mind yesterday while working on the game plan, it came up today.

Coach says they'll meet again tomorrow. Doesn't sound good going forward to me, as Coach was more evasive this time, versus being very specific as to why he wasn't playing before the CIncy game.

Biggs - if you are reading this.  Try to ignore the noise coming from the media and fans.  But listen to the criticism coming from your coaches and teammates.  Criticism from your peers and superiors is something you have to deal with your whole life, whether it be a job or in basketball.  You have to learn to accept this and help it make you a better person and better player.

What you have to realize is this situation could very well impact the rest of your life.  If you leave Nebraska (by your own means or not) you will likely have to finish your college career playing at some small school.  There is a good chance that could negatively impact a lot of things surrounding your future in pro basketball and life.

You are incredibly talented.  There have been times this year when you've looked like the very best player on the court - even against teams like Michigan and Ohio State.  I see potential for greatness.

Listen to your coaches and your teammates.  Understand that they want the best for you in the end.  Get your head straight, keep grinding and you will thank them down the road.

That's all.

word is he over slept and either missed or was late to shoot around the morning..

That was the word in the student section at least.

I like how Miles has handled Biggs thus far with his off the court issues...if this is the reason...I hope it's just another game suspension and running the hell out of him.  No one player is above the team but if Biggs can get his head screwed on right he can be a big piece to the puzzle the remainder of the year and even more so next year. 

We have been watching this "meltdown" take place throughout the year.  This doesn't surprise me...which is kind of sad.  Hope he finds his head.  He is talented.  But he must harness that talent from being an individual, to figuring out how to be a teammate.  Kind of answers the question as to why we are going after Trey.

By the way, Coach said after the game that he & Biggs don't have a specific date set to meet - I thought he said before the game that it would be tomorrow, but perhaps I misheard it.

Reading between the lines, Coach was as evasive and then defensive with the media as I've ever seen him when initially asked about Biggs and then pressed on it. Miles asked the reporter who pressed him for more info about Biggs if the reporter realized NU had just beaten Minny, and then said he was just trying to enjoy the win. Coach ended it with, "Dev is a good kid."

I would guess he knows he has a very tough decision to make in the next few days. At some point you have to cut ties with a player who isn't disciplined enough to follow the team rules, or the coach starts to lose the respect of the other guys. I don't know if this is the last straw with Biggs, but judged on the way Coach Miles addressed it today, it certainly could be.

You just can't keep having to suspend a player for a game here and a game there at the last minute, because it screws up rotations and game plans. You have to be able to count on every guy on that roster, or what's the point of keeping a player around?

I just can't believe we don't have people still to go get them.

I used to along with other guys wake up Joe McCray and BJ Walker.

For the most part though the guys are roomies and keep each other in check.

I hope Biggs can figure it out as over sleeping would be a sad way to end a great opportunity however Miles/Staff will make the right decision. We will support them eithe way and wish Biggs the best 100%

I sincerely hope that this is the only problem with Mr. Biggs since he definitely can play a role for this team. On the other hand he should now realize that he is not indispensable and will never get special "star" treatment. Some individuals are chronically late throughout their lives which does not translate well into success when they join the workplace. Tardy workers do not last long nor progress rapidly. One would have to wonder if this is an academic issue as well. Perhaps coach Miles is attempting to teach life skills, which is probably the most valuable and least appreciated aspect of coaching. If Biggs absorbs this lesson it may be the most valuable one he learns at NU.