The Bench

Bugeaters1

I've also wondered if Connie has some sort of speed/agility testing for these players?  I will often use HS track and field performance as an indicator of overall athleticism on the court.  Not only should a player have good basketball skills, but they should also have decent jumping and sprinting ability.  For me personally, when I see a player runs the 800 in HS, that is a red flag because it tells me they probably don't have decent enough sprinting and/or jumping ability to compete with those types in their HS track conference.  Hooper was a very good track athlete.  KK Houser was also a very good track athlete and is in the all-time top 10 Nebraska chart for the hurdles I believe.  Maddie Simon is also a good hurdler and I know she used to long jump and sprint when she was younger.  Chloe Akin-Otiko is another potential recruit that has outstanding track and field ability, in addition to being a skilled basketball player.  So for potential recruits that don't go out for track and field, is there any speed/agility testing for them?

I've also wondered if Connie has some sort of speed/agility testing for these players?  I will often use HS track and field performance as an indicator of overall athleticism on the court.  Not only should a player have good basketball skills, but they should also have decent jumping and sprinting ability.  For me personally, when I see a player runs the 800 in HS, that is a red flag because it tells me they probably don't have decent enough sprinting and/or jumping ability to compete with those types in their HS track conference.  Hooper was a very good track athlete.  KK Houser was also a very good track athlete and is in the all-time top 10 Nebraska chart for the hurdles I believe.  Maddie Simon is also a good hurdler and I know she used to long jump and sprint when she was younger.  Chloe Akin-Otiko is another potential recruit that has outstanding track and field ability, in addition to being a skilled basketball player.  So for potential recruits that don't go out for track and field, is there any speed/agility testing for them?

I think that with Havers she has the agility with her feet having played volleyball and softball. I just wonder about the rst of the bench excluding Jeffery and T.

How did the bench get to this point ? even if Simon had stayed it still wasn't a very deep bench. Did Connie drop the ball on the two players that hardly play. Is the one that is on the bench,on the bench as favor to mom and pop ?

It's called recruiting busts.  And they have been numerous over the past 4 years.  Some busts in that they can't play at this level, some transfers which has the same effect. 

Another reason is lack of development while here.  This year's juniors:  Cady is a total stud and improved a lot between her sophomore and junior year.  But Jeffrey is no better than when she was a freshmen.  Laudermill is a little better but pretty much still the same player. Sample is a good player but has never developed a shot, which really affects our ability to run offense.

Sophomore class--Theriot was the only fall signee and then Murren late.  I will never understand why we didn't use scholarships in that class, with Hooper and Cady on board to offer as a selling point. 

What we don't know with recruiting is did we miss on so many targets that we had to go to fallback players?  Or did we just misjudge who we were recruiting?  Ramacieri was a total mystery since we signed her in November.  If that was a fallback, one would think we would have waited until spring to get a late bloomer, rising Juco player, etc.  I don't have a problem with the Havers signing, as she has potential to be a good player; it's not her fault we had no other option for post minutes her freshman year.  And the local player;  I don't want to pile on at this point--but I called that one at the time.    

Well, it happened, and its puzzling.  But it sure looks like we've kicked it in to another gear going forward.

As I said in an earlier thread, the last two years have been busts, minus Theriot and Havers. I think Allie will be in an asset, she just needs more time.  Murren can be a zone buster and works her tail off, but has size limitations in the conference. 

There is a reason we are taking so many players next year.

If you listened to the coach talk on  Miss Havers, you knew she was a project, do to size and lack of ball skills that comes with being a 3 sport athlete.  though he did believe she would be a star and i think that will still ring true.  Miss Murren is an essential need in that you cannot survive without a couple sharp shooters.  she is a pleasant surprise to me in that she plays much more physically than i ever expected she could.  other than that Miss Theriot is the only big hit in the past 2 years, ergo small bench.  another important note is that Miss Leich, Miss Woodberry and Miss McCann Smith would give us a much better bench right now.

The last class was incredible and this class has a real nice start.  One more big hit, Miss Page fingers crossed would give us another top 20 class when added to the #1 post and #5 player overall, along with the size and athleticism of Miss Simon.  So  things will be looking up in the future.  

comparing 1 big hit in 2 years vs. 5 big hits in 2 years with some size and athletic depth.

If you listened to the coach talk on  Miss Havers, you knew she was a project, do to size and lack of ball skills that comes with being a 3 sport athlete.  though he did believe she would be a star and i think that will still ring true.  Miss Murren is an essential need in that you cannot survive without a couple sharp shooters.  she is a pleasant surprise to me in that she plays much more physically than i ever expected she could.  other than that Miss Theriot is the only big hit in the past 2 years, ergo small bench.  another important note is that Miss Leich, Miss Woodberry and Miss McCann Smith would give us a much better bench right now.

The last class was incredible and this class has a real nice start.  One more big hit, Miss Page fingers crossed would give us another top 20 class when added to the #1 post and #5 player overall, along with the size and athleticism of Miss Simon.  So  things will be looking up in the future.  

comparing 1 big hit in 2 years vs. 5 big hits in 2 years with some size and athletic depth.

Except that I believe that Liech would have been a senior last year. So I didn't count her. really other than Havers playing of late the bench has done nothing to Help the starting six.

How did the bench get to this point ? even if Simon had stayed it still wasn't a very deep bench. Did Connie drop the ball on the two players that hardly play. Is the one that is on the bench,on the bench as favor to mom and pop ?

Transfers. Injuries. 

Since 2011-2012...

Leick -- transferred, redshirted 2012-13 season at KSU, now a senior at KSU. 

Maurer -- retired from the sport, back, would have been a senior this year.

Woodberry -- transferred/kicked off, now at San Jose State, averages 13/7, would have helped this team scoring. 

McCann-Smith -- transferred, played some at UDub, left school there for the same reason she transferred from NU (ill dad)

Aitken -- walk-on, decent player, left/retired

Simon -- Left/retired

The scholarship numbers will be probably be at 14-15 next year. That could be a really good team if Page hits the ground running. 

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/nu-women-s-recruits-having-strong-senior-seasons/article_5a6e8de0-3289-58a2-b933-6a94adda1b8c.html

Cool summary of Nebraska's recruiting success in these upcoming classes. Would it be wrong to say that the class of 2014 is the best (on paper) coming out of high school that we've ever had? Lots of individual talent and lots of depth.

I think next year's team might actually end up better than this year's team even with the loss one of the best players to ever play here. A first-team all-conference player that will almost always produce a double-double (Cady), another year of development for Theriot, Laudermill, and Havers, battle-tested veterans Jeffery and Sample, plus a major infusion of young talent...

As for 2015, Shepard is going to be an absolute beast from day one and it seems like Simon has a ton of potential. Really hoping they land Laney Page…if so, the 2014 class will only be the best in history for one year. 

And what about Kianna Ibis from Omaha Benson? She's putting up enormous numbers against good teams in Class A (21 ppg, 15 rpg) and it sounds like she dominates on defense too. I think I remember hearing that Nebraska has offered her a scholarship and she sounds like a great player, but I've never seen her play.

I wondered if Ibis had made her decision yet but it sounds like she hasn't.  Her team played LNE the other night, and she held their center to just 1 point on a late free throw, no field goals, which might be the first time that has ever happened in the 4 years Toni Tupper has played HS ball.  Tupper is about the only girl that matches up physically with Shepard (but she definitely doesn't run the floor like Shepard or have quite the same skill set).  The fact that Ibis kept her from scoring is huge.  I've seen Ibis play a few times and she is a very athletic 6'3" girl, great jumping ability.  Would really like to see her in a Husker uniform.

• 2 weeks later...

we only are caring 10 players now right?

We need some body to practice against besides the boys don't we?

Yes there is only 10 on the roster. And Yori has had her teams practice against the boys for as long as I can remember. Can someone help me out here with how long she has done this.

It's a pretty tight knit group. I think they all like playing for NU. If any were to transfer it probably would be 2 at the most but right now I don't look for any to leave. Freshmen usually are the ones that seek greener pastures and once and a while sophomores. Juniors very seldom transfer because if you transfer you have to sit a year that is unless you transfer to a lower division school.  We have 5 recruits and one walk-on coming in next season. So if none transfer we would still have room for all. Practicing with the fellas has been going on here at Nebraska since at least the 1980's. Husker radio color commentator Jeff Griesch was a practice player in the mid 90's for Angela Beck's teams.