Attitudes

HoiBall

The attitudes from the players on this team are sometimes borderline embarrassing. This is not a team with a lot of maturity and there is zero senior leadership. Petteway and Shields (as much as I love their potential) have a ways to go in terms of having that 'winning attitude'. As much as it may hurt to lose a game like last nights at PSU, pouting and throwing a fit won't help anything.

I know Miles has said it before, but this team needs to LEARN HOW TO WIN. Winning a game at home against a team shooting 6-21 from 3 is more about getting lucky. I will forever love Nebrasketball and will be there Sunday supporting the boys, but building a mental toughness will be the biggest key for this team going forward this year.

The attitudes from the players on this team are sometimes borderline embarrassing. This is not a team with a lot of maturity and there is zero senior leadership. Petteway and Shields (as much as I love their potential) have a ways to go in terms of having that 'winning attitude'. As much as it may hurt to lose a game like last nights at PSU, pouting and throwing a fit won't help anything.

I know Miles has said it before, but this team needs to LEARN HOW TO WIN. Winning a game at home against a team shooting 6-21 from 3 is more about getting lucky. I will forever love Nebrasketball and will be there Sunday supporting the boys, but building a mental toughness will be the biggest key for this team going forward this year.

This hits the nail on the head for me.  I was concerned going into this year that Ray being the only senior was going to be a problem, because he doesn't seem like the leader type.

I think you can trace a lot of our team's issues this year to that.  Not that it's necessarily Ray's fault, but it's a problem with having such a young team.

Facial expression does not always equal attitude.

Petteway wears it on his sleeve but he does not quit.  You don't finish the Ohio State game like he did if you are off pouting about your turnovers.

I get what you are saying, but didn't he have to be pulled out of the game and sat down to calm down?  It's one thing to wear your emotions on your sleeve, but to say it doesn't affect his play isn't entirely accurate.  I witnessed him in the Miami game pout after missing shots and not huslte back on defensel

Facial expression does not always equal attitude.

Petteway wears it on his sleeve but he does not quit.  You don't finish the Ohio State game like he did if you are off pouting about your turnovers.

I would beg to differ. I have witnessed numerous times him shaking his head running down the court on defense. In this situation I would have to believe that his mind is on his negative play (whatever the situation) rather than the defensive position. I also disagree about facial expressions, this can give the opposing team a little confidence boost knowing that you're doubting yourself or your teammates. That gives other teams hope.

I used to have doubts about Petteway's attitude but no longer.

To me, he is a winner, plain and simple, who won't back down. He cares about the team before himself, though it can be confusing to see that at times.

I think he is most likely a very complex kid. On one hand, he wants to play in the NBA, and he will. On the other, he really wants to win and put this program on the map. You could see it last year from how hard he cheered and got into games on the bench, to how frustrated he is away from the ball, when he has nothing to do with the play, when they don't get a stop, to how bad he wanted the ball at the end of the game last night, to lots in between.

Petteway is a winner - we are lucky as hell we have him. He's the only high level Big 10 player we have, and it aint close.

Petteway's an easy kid to misread if you're convinced you can know someone from a few casual observations about their body language. I was sensitive to those criticisms early in the year because I'm like that as a person--easy to misread if you don't actually know me. I'm glad that people are coming around to him and getting past those initial reservations, because we really are very fortunate to have the guy. And he's got two more years left, and I think he's one of the top sophomores in the league right now.

Edit: Oh, and he's doing most of this playing out of his natural position, too.

I wondered about Petteway's wearing his emotion on his sleeve at first too, and how it might affect his play, but I think he's doing much better with it the last several games. 

A couple of examples from Thursday: When the PSU students were chanting airball at him, I think earlier in the year he would have tried to take the game over to shut them up, taking a few bad shots along the way. Didn't happen Thursday.

Then there was a play in the first half where he got a kickout pass on the left wing. He could have taken a 3 that would have been slightly contested and he may have had to rush it a bit, which is when he's less accurate. However he made the extra pass to Biggs at the top of the key and he hit the 3. Early in the year, Petteway likely takes that shot.

His maturity level - and that of the whole team - is getting better little by little. Not as fast as I or anyone likely would have hoped, but I think it'll get there. 

It also may help him to get another shooter on the floor other than Gallegos - if NU can find another consistent shooter (hopefully it's Fuller) and teams have to respect the kickout more, that will open up driving lanes. And part of his maturation as a player will have to be to trust the other guys to hit those 3s, rather than feeling like he has to do it all himself.

Petteway's an easy kid to misread if you're convinced you can know someone from a few casual observations about their body language. I was sensitive to those criticisms early in the year because I'm like that as a person--easy to misread if you don't actually know me. I'm glad that people are coming around to him and getting past those initial reservations, because we really are very fortunate to have the guy. And he's got two more years left, and I think he's one of the top sophomores in the league right now.

Edit: Oh, and he's doing most of this playing out of his natural position, too.

tcp, not to step on your toes here.  I think you misread a lot of the criticism of Terran early in the year.  Some talked about his apparent body language but most of the discussion centered on how he was taking ill-advised shots trying to force his offense.  With often bad results.  That has changed a lot.  I agree with those above who say that Terran's body language isn't about having a bad attitude.  I think the kid is very hard on himself and wears his emotion on his sleeve.  I don't think he's a bad kid or a head case or anything like that.  But he definitely was taking bad shots earlier in the season and that needed to get fixed.

When you posted back in November words to the effect that "I don't get all the Terran hate" my thought was I don't get the "hate" part.  What I was saying about Terran back then was no different than people saying Shavon Shields needs to finish stronger at the rim.  You can argue about whether either observation is correct but I wouldn't classify either as "hate."  Some of the venom directed at Brian Diaz over the years as suffering from "pussitis" would qualify as hate.  Bitching about Brandon Ubel getting any minutes is hate.  But saying Terran Petteway is rushing shots and taking ill-advised shots doesn't add up to hate.

I'm not quite sure how to explain the difference between "hate" and legitimate criticism but what I saw and posted about Terran earlier in the year was, I thought, the latter.  Feel free to disagree.