Are we selfish or...

Silverbacked1

The team lack energy all night and Rivers at least brings that to the table.

https://twitter.com/HuskerHC/status/426721862844809216

No shit huh? Man maybe I do have an idea what I'm talking about....

I've been seeing people bring it up enough to look into it.

Obviously it's a somewhat cherry picked piece of information.

...yes, it seems that way.  One could argue that the games Rivers is going to get more minutes in are the ones we playing +200 RPI teams and are blowing out.

I think it's likely that is the cause, rather than the effect, of having him in more minutes.

We were not successful penetrating all night.  I don't fault Pitchford's 3 attempt, at least it was a shot with a chance.  Think of all the empty possessions we had during the game including the last one.  I'd of been thrilled to at least get a perimeter jump shot late with a chance than an unforced turnover that was a knucklehead decision of epic proportions.

yes, it seems that way.  One could argue that the games Rivers is going to get more minutes in are the ones we playing +200 RPI teams and are blowing out.

I think it's likely that is the cause, rather than the effect, of having him in more minutes.

His playing time hasn't been exactly been dictated by team strength.

He played 6 combined minutes vs Arkansas St and the Citadel, who are awful.

Here is the same stat vs the top 150.

I don't think this team is selfish I just think they just have a lot of guys that have that scoring mentality and it's lending to rushed shots and poor offense.  I think if there were more clearly defined roles or more "glue" guys then I think it would be better.   That's why I'm such a big fan of Rivers.  He doesn't have to have the ball.  Same with Smith.  He's at his best when he's getting rebounds and buckets from other guys.

I don't think this team is selfish I just think they just have a lot of guys that have that scoring mentality and it's lending to rushed shots and poor offense. I think if there were more clearly defined roles or more "glue" guys then I think it would be better. That's why I'm such a big fan of Rivers. He doesn't have to have the ball. Same with Smith. He's at his best when he's getting rebounds and buckets from other guys.

Scorer's mentality. We have a bunch of guys with the scorer's mentality and a bunch of guys who can put the ball in the basket, guys who can create their own shots, and guys who can get to the rim. This team is much different than any we've had in the last 10 years or so. We have pieces this year that we haven't had for a long long time. But the team isn't scoring any more points than we have over the last few seasons with some real offensively challenged, athletically challenged teams. Miles has got to get these guys to buy in. He's got to convince them that if they share the ball, become a more cohesive unit, that the team will score more points, have more success, and each individual will get to put the ball in the basket more. Everyone would have more fun. It's coming.

This was a bad one for me. We had a chance to turn a corner tonight against the worst team in the league and had them on the ropes, then pissed it down our leg. I'm gonna pour myself a glass of Templeton Rye, then another....then another

OK, this is off topic, but how is Templeton Rye? Is really worth the extra $ over Old Rockgut, which I prefer when watching games?

I like it.

Its my go to, made in Iowa so you can usually find it at a decent price in Nebraska. It goes down real smooth, very little bite to it

$28 at Walmart or Sams in CB. cant find it within $10 of that in Omaha. Very good stuff.

Hey, thanks for all the info, at least some good came of this game!

Since this thread appears to have meandered far into that delightful cornfield far from the basketball court, it is interesting to note that Templeton Rye was once said to be Al Capone's favorite drink. To attach this by a very tenuous thread back to Nebraska, I will pose a two part question. Where did Al's older brother live in Nebraska, and what name was he known by? Anyone care to guess?

Since this thread appears to have meandered far into that delightful cornfield far from the basketball court, it is interesting to note that Templeton Rye was once said to be Al Capone's favorite drink. To attach this by a very tenuous thread back to Nebraska, I will pose a two part question. Where did Al's older brother live in Nebraska, and what name was he known by? Anyone care to guess?

O'Neill? 

I would call him a prick, but that's just me. And to answer my own question posed above, Vincenzo Capone was known as Two Gun Hart when he lived in Homer, Nebraska and worked as (believe it or not) a prohibition officer. Ta da! And yet another good thing comes from perusal of the board at HHC. Almost as useful as attending class.

This was a bad one for me. We had a chance to turn a corner tonight against the worst team in the league and had them on the ropes, then pissed it down our leg. I'm gonna pour myself a glass of Templeton Rye, then another....then another

OK, this is off topic, but how is Templeton Rye? Is really worth the extra $ over Old Rockgut, which I prefer when watching games?

I like it.

Its my go to, made in Iowa so you can usually find it at a decent price in Nebraska. It goes down real smooth, very little bite to it

$28 at Walmart or Sams in CB. cant find it within $10 of that in Omaha. Very good stuff.

Hey, thanks for all the info, at least some good came of this game!

Looks like ill be making a trip to walmart in CB (cant be a pretty place), thanks man!

Homer Nebraska. Mom was a college roommate to a family member

My (late) 2 cents.  It looked to me like theses guys are still trying to figure it out.  I know Miles is emphasizing more involvement of teammates and more assists.  There were times I saw in the PSU game when they would come down and start running their offense.  After only one or two passes at the most there would be a wide open shot.  The player would looke like he was thinking about it, but ultimately pass it up.  I can only guess its because they are second guessing themselves by thinking its too early in the shot clock, and maybe that Miles might be upset, especially if they miss it.  Then, after passing it around some more they would run out of time and would be forced to take a long three, or drive and take a highly contested shot. 

So there IMO there's some confidence issues with knowing when to take a good shot.  They were, at least in that game, second guessing too much, hesitating too much, partly because they know they need to play more team ball.  So there's still a lot of chemistry and confidence that they need to learn.  I do not think they are on the whole selfish.