Mid-season candidates for Conference Newcomer of the Year.

Norm Peterson

Anyone besides Petteway?  Rayvonte Rice from Ill, but that's about it.

Seriously.  Petteway is:

• 5th in scoring.
  • 4th in FT%
  • Top 15 in defensive rebounding

Have we ever had someone get conference honors in the B1G like that? 

Newcomer OTY?

1st team or 2nd team?

I know we've never had POTY.  Never even close.  But if he's not Newcomer OTY, he has to be in the running for 2nd team All-Conf.  Lots of competition but in the running.

Conference coaches have to be looking at our solid core of underclassmen and thinking to themselves this Nebraska team is going to be a tough out in the coming years.

Give me Petteway, a healthy Shields, a settled-in Webster, a more disciplined Biggs, a rested Leslee Smith, a more-experienced Walt Pitchford, and a sharp-shooting Nick Fuller, and a group overall more used to playing with each other and this team right here -- not some mythical team with a former Husker great on it, but THIS team -- could challenge for the top half of the league next year.

There. I said it.  Next year.

I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't gotten more play.  We've never had a B1G all-conference player before and it's been a long time since we've had an all-conference player at all.  All-conference Husker men's basketball players are few and far between.  And I'm tellin' ya, this kid is putting up 1st or 2nd team numbers.  He might not make an all-league team this year, but we're watching a kid play right now who could be the best Husker basketball player to come along since Venson Hamilton and Ty Lue.

I mean Jeebuz, people, we finally have a guy who comes in and lives up to the hype.  Exceeds the hype, even.  When have we seen that?  People said before the season that he for sure would start.  But who would have pegged him to average better than 17 ppg?

Sure, he has some things to fix.  Which is why he's maybe not a 1st or 2nd team kid this year.  But if he tightens up his defense and learns to play a little more within himself and cut down those silly turnovers, he is going to be one of the best players in the league next year and one of the best Husker basketball players of the last 20 years or so.  Where's the Terran love?

Norm, Refresh my memory...does Conference Newcomer of the Year exclude Freshmen?

If not, you would have Noah Vonleh from Indiana since he has won frosh of the week nearly every week...yet my memory is that we tell ourselves freshmen are not newcomers!

If so, ODD...but is that accurate?

Norm, Refresh my memory...does Conference Newcomer of the Year exclude Freshmen?

If not, you would have Noah Vonleh from Indiana since he has won frosh of the week nearly every week...yet my memory is that we tell ourselves freshmen are not newcomers!

I think the Big 12 had Freshman of the Year and Newcomer of the Year...not sure about the B1G.

Anyone besides Petteway?  Rayvonte Rice from Ill, but that's about it.

Seriously.  Petteway is:

• 5th in scoring.
  • 4th in FT%
  • Top 15 in defensive rebounding
Have we ever had someone get conference honors in the B1G like that? 

Newcomer OTY?

1st team or 2nd team?

I know we've never had POTY.  Never even close.  But if he's not Newcomer OTY, he has to be in the running for 2nd team All-Conf.  Lots of competition but in the running.

Petteway has to be in consideration for that award. Another name to throw into the conversation is Dre Matthieu from Minnesota. Doing a great job at running the point for the Gophers.

This was my thought as well...not sure if Freshman are included.  I could see it go either way with Vonleh or Petteway.  Petteway certainly has been a pleasant surprise.  If he keeps improving his game and lives in the gym he could be hard to stop the next two years.   

This guy doesn't have huge numbers or minutes per game, but the impact this kid has had for his team and the leadership qualities he has shown.........Leslie Smith!!

Where would this team be without him!!!  I think he has been just about as important to this team this year as Petteway has!!  Personally I think he has been our team MVP at this point!!

Sadly, it appears as though the B1G does not have a Newcomer of the Year award.  Just an award for the best Freshman.  If Petteway keeps putting up really good scoring numbers, a Third or even Second Team selection seems possible.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/2013AllBigTen.pdf

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/B1GMBB12Awards.pdf

I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't gotten more play.  

Where's the Terran love?

From the OP:  "But if he's not Newcomer OTY, he has to be in the running for 2nd team All-Conf."

The thread was about the player we have in Terran, not about one specific award or another.  That's why I mentioned the lack of Terran love rather than lack of nominations for an award that apparently doesn't exist (but should).