WBB: Game #16 vs Purdue

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (13-3 Overall, 3-1 Big Ten) Purdue Boilermakers (12-5 Overall, 2-3 Big Ten)

Sunday, Jan. 19, 4 p.m.

Pinnacle Bank Arena

Tickets: Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED

Radio: KBBK-FM 107.3-Lincoln; KFFF-FM 93.3-Omaha; KBRB-AM 1400-Ainsworth; KCOW-AM 1400-Alliance; KWBE-AM 1450-Beatrice; KBLR-FM 97.3-Blair; KGMT-AM 1310-Fairbury; KFMT-FM 103.5-Fremont; KHAS-AM 1230-Hastings; KRGI-AM 1430-Grand Island; KRVN-AM 880-Lexington; KODY-AM 1240-North Platte; KZTL-FM 93.5-Paxton; KNEB-FM 94.1-Scottsbluff; KSID-AM 1340-Sidney; KRFS-FM 103.9-Superior - In Indiana...WBPE-FM 95.3-Lafayette, IN

Social Media: Posted Image@HuskersWBB Posted Image Nebraska Women's Basketball

Free Live Audio: Huskers.com

National Television: Big Ten Network

Posted Image

Huskers take on Boilermakers Sunday afternoonNebraska heads into Sunday's game at 13-3 overall and 3-1 in Big Ten Conference play, fresh off an thrilling 88-85 overtime victory over Minnesota on Thursday night. The Cornhuskers are led by preseason All-Big Ten senior Jordan Hooper, who enters Sunday's game averaging 20.2 points and 10.4 rebounds per game. Other standouts for Nebraska include junior forward Emily Cady, who adds 14.4 points and 9.1 rebounds per game, and sophomore point guard Rachel Theriot, who chips in 13.3 points and 6.1 assists per game. Nebraska owns the Big Ten's largest scoring margin, outscoring opponents by 14.8 points per game, and is one of the conference's top rebounding teams, pulling down 42.6 boards per game.

Purdue enters Sunday’s contest ranked 22nd in the AP poll and 19th in the coaches. Lead by Head Coach Sharon Versyp the Boilermakers come to Lincoln after thrashing Indiana Friday night 86-53.

The Boilermakers have made a conference-best 33 three pointers through five games, including 31 from KK Houser and Courtney Moses. Moses' 16 triples are Purdue's and the Big Ten's most in conference action, while Houser's 15 are tied for second. Nearly 30 percent of the Boilermakers' offense this season has come from behind the arc as they are shooting 38.9 percent from three. Whitney Bays has come into her own in Big Ten play, averaging nearly a double-double at 11.0 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.2 steals in five conference games. Number 42 for Purdue is Camille Redmon, Camille is the younger sister of former Husker Cathryn Redmon.

Three of the four meetings between Purdue and Nebraska have gone to overtime, including a triple-overtime thriller in the inaugural meeting and a double-overtime result in the 2012 Big Ten Tournament Championship game. Purdue leads the all time series with the Huskers 3-1.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

F #35 - Jordan Hooper 6’2 Sr. 20.2 ppg

F #23 - Emily Cady 6’2 Jr. 14.4

G #33 - Rachel Theriot 6’ So. 13.3

G #1 - Tear’a Laudermill 5’9 Jr. 8.3

F #3 - Hailie Sample 6’1 Jr. 5.1

Purdue Boilermakers

G#22 - KK Houser 5'6 Sr 15.5 ppg

G #15 - Courtney Moses 5’6 Sr. 15.4

G #25 - April Wilson 5’7 So. 8.8

F #23 - Liza Clemons 6’2 Jr. 8.8

C #42 - Camille Redmon 6’4 Jr. 3.6

Jordan Hooper became the fourth 2,000-point scorer in Nebraska history on a three-pointer early in the second half against Minnesota. She also has a career total of 978 rebounds needing 22 more to have garnered 1000 in her career.

Emily Cady has become a double/double machine recording 3 straight. She now has 7 for the season.

Rachel Theriot has become an absolute stud on the court.

GAME NOTES:

Click here to view the article

Purdue is a guard orientated team, they like to get out and run. The Huskers need to get back on defense, defend the three point line, deny them penetration of the lane and control the boards. The Huskers can win this one but each player who sees the court must give 110% in effort for the full 40 minutes.

Way too many mistakes that were unforced in the 2nd half.  Too many missed free throws in the first half also came back to haunt the team.  Lady Huskers have a lot of heart and fight but their liabilities showed up at crucial times.  B1G is going to be tough every game.  Any win will be a good one.

You have got to protect your homecourt!!

Once again not having any kind of an inside game hurt us. We can't keep depending on Emily and JHoop under the bucket. Both are finding themselves gased at the end of the games. Giving up that last uncontested rebound and shot with 3 seconds remaining is a cardinal sin.

I'm not sure why when defending the three point line they think they have to go under the screen instead of fighting thru it.  That burnt us every time the first half. That's what happened 7 or 8 years ago against Iowa St. You'd think by now they'd have that corrected.

What's up with Hooper is the season catching up with her? Man, she's really struggling to make shots even her free throws aren't as crisp as usual.

Disappointed we should have won this one hands down.

Yeh, Hooper really had an off day. But the good news is that several others stepped up. Saw Theriot pass on 2 or 3 shots in the second half that I wish she had taken. Wish Sample would have more games like she had today. T knocked down a couple of 3 pointers clutch at that point. Missed free throws killed us. That and not doing a better job against the 3 in the first half.

You have got to protect your homecourt!!

Once again not having any kind of an inside game hurt us. We can't keep depending on Emily and JHoop under the bucket. Both are finding themselves gased at the end of the games. Giving up that last uncontested rebound and shot with 3 seconds remaining is a cardinal sin.

I'm not sure why when defending the three point line they think they have to go under the screen instead of fighting thru it.  That burnt us every time the first half. That's what happened 7 or 8 years ago against Iowa St. You'd think by now they'd have that corrected.

What's up with Hooper is the season catching up with her? Man, she's really struggling to make shots even her free throws aren't as crisp as usual.

Disappointed we should have won this one hands down.

The Huskers where going under the screen instead of through it  so that is why the treys were as open as they were. And Sample didn't leave Mosses at all the second half.

Good crowd today almost 6200 in attendance.

The Huskers have a week off and then it's off to Evanston to face a tough Northwestern club. We need to steal one on the road and get back in the thick of things. Maybe a little rest this week can help recharge the batteries and give them a little boost going into the grind that is February.

We also seem to miss a lot of bunnies. Kind of like the guys.

Was JHoop sick today? She had no lift in her jump shot.

I have noticed that all of JHoops shots are short front rim, even at the beginning of the year they were short. I don't know if it's the new arena or what but they are just short. I don't know if they where short last year or not as I didn't pay attention to how the ball hit the rim.

I have noticed that all of JHoops shots are short front rim, even at the beginning of the year they were short. I don't know if it's the new arena or what but they are just short. I don't know if they where short last year or not as I didn't pay attention to how the ball hit the rim.

She doesn't seem like she jumping off the floor like she did before.

I haven't noticed that, but I'm looking at the flight and rotation on the ball when she shoots. I'll watch her jump when she shoots next time. I did notice that she didn't have the hops on rebounds today like she has had in prior games.

Jordan Hooper has been great for NU.  I just wish she had developed some moves to deal with the kind of defense Purdue used today.  The Boilers were not going to let Hooper beat them.  

The team really made numerous silly mistakes at crucial times that cost them the game.  Very interesting that Penn St. beat MSU in East Lansing today.  

Havers needs to play more and contribute.  

Jordan Hooper has been great for NU.  I just wish she had developed some moves to deal with the kind of defense Purdue used today.  The Boilers were not going to let Hooper beat them.  

The team really made numerous silly mistakes at crucial times that cost them the game.  Very interesting that Penn St. beat MSU in East Lansing today.  

Havers needs to play more and contribute.  

Two years of recruiting poorly have caught up with Connie unfortunately.  Except for Theriot, no one else has contributed. A bench of 9-10 doesn't give you a lot of options in this conference when t-3 are non-contributors.   We are extremely shorthanded for the conference schedule ahead.

Also notice how long all of our opponents are inside?  We need more folks built like Emily Cady and we can't seem to get them to Lincoln.

I haven't noticed that, but I'm looking at the flight and rotation on the ball when she shoots. I'll watch her jump when she shoots next time. I did notice that she didn't have the hops on rebounds today like she has had in prior games.

Connie said Hooper was really tired today. I think Hooper's been tired for more than few games, personally. 

I think more than a few players are tired. Nebraska may have to slow down its offense and run it through Theriot more. If Nebraska went more to a pick-and-roll offense, slow, deliberate, focused on Theriot and Cady/Hooper working off of each other, Nebraska could save its steam a little bit.  

Connie said Hooper was really tired today. I think Hooper's been tired for more than few games, personally. 

I think more than a few players are tired. Nebraska may have to slow down its offense and run it through Theriot more. If Nebraska went more to a pick-and-roll offense, slow, deliberate, focused on Theriot and Cady/Hooper working off of each other, Nebraska could save its steam a little bit.

Thanks for finding that, they many also have to cut back on practices too.

Thanks for finding that, they many also have to cut back on practices too.

Connie said in her post game that the players were getting a couple of days off before going back at it.

Long time stalker, first time poster.....

I am not here to ruffle feathers to you "longtimers" that have dominated this board for years.  I am a realist and not a person that likes to pump sunshine and drink the kool-aid.

First post: 

Some of you dont know why it seems that JH isnt jumping very much on shots, short on her shots, not rebounding well?  Maybe its because she is playing 37.4 minutes per game in Big 10 play.  Last year she played 31.5 mpg and two years ago she played 33 mpg, and freshman year 31.1 mpg.  That is a LOT of minutes for a player that mostly has to guard the other teams post player as well as being the "go to" player on the offensive end- running around screens/posting up.  Unless she finds a pill that will give you unlimited ammounts of energy she will probably continue to not play as well throughout the rest of the season.  Its too bad that we dont have any more depth to provide a 2-5 more more minute rest for all of these ladies. 

Also....

EC is playing 38.4 mpg this year compared to 32.2 and 31.8 mpg the 2 previous years. 

HS is playing 34.4 mpg this year compared to 23.3 and 22.5 mpg the 2 previous years.

RT is playing 40.4 mpg this year compared to 29.4 mpg last year.

What does this all mean?  We are going to going into a phase where it is super important to maintain focus on the task at hand while getting as much rest as possible.  Remember 2 years ago at the Big 10 tournament when we had to play 4 games in 4 days?  JH and HS got stress reactions/fractures and it really effected how they played in the NCAA tournament the next week.  With all of the heavy minutes 4 of the 5 starters have logged this Big 10 season their practice time will be reduced and because of that the rest of their game might a little too. 

I sure hope that everyone will be patient with what happens to this team this year- there are much better times ahead of this program in the future, me thinks......

I am not here to ruffle feathers to you "longtimers" that have dominated this board for years.  I am a realist and not a person that likes to pump sunshine and drink the kool-aid.

First post: 

Some of you dont know why it seems that JH isnt jumping very much on shots, short on her shots, not rebounding well?  Maybe its because she is playing 37.4 minutes per game in Big 10 play.  Last year she played 31.5 mpg and two years ago she played 33 mpg, and freshman year 31.1 mpg.  That is a LOT of minutes for a player that mostly has to guard the other teams post player as well as being the "go to" player on the offensive end- running around screens/posting up.  Unless she finds a pill that will give you unlimited ammounts of energy she will probably continue to not play as well throughout the rest of the season.  Its too bad that we dont have any more depth to provide a 2-5 more more minute rest for all of these ladies. 

Also....

EC is playing 38.4 mpg this year compared to 32.2 and 31.8 mpg the 2 previous years. 

HS is playing 34.4 mpg this year compared to 23.3 and 22.5 mpg the 2 previous years.

What does this all mean?  We are going to going into a phase where it is super important to maintain focus on the task at hand while getting as much rest as possible.  Remember 2 years ago at the Big 10 tournament when we had to play 4 games in 4 days?  JH and HS got stress reactions/fractures and it really effected how they played in the NCAA tournament the next week.  With all of the heavy minutes 4 of the 5 starters have logged this Big 10 season their practice time will be reduced and because of that the rest of their game might a little too. 

I sure hope that everyone will be patient with what happens to this team this year- there are much better times ahead of this program in the future, me thinks......

No feathers ruffled here Cyinne, I just wonder if JHoop is having trouble adjusting to the site distance of the new arena. Her shot has been short all season not just the last couple of weeks. Like I post before her is short on her shot maybe that's by design hit front of rim and ball crawls over rim. I don't know just something I have seen. Good post and glad for it.

Welcome, Cyinne.  Nothing at all about that post to ruffle any feathers.  It is obvious we have run Jordan into the ground, so you speak the truth.  It looks like she has hit the wall a little early this year.  Wish we could have rested her more during the preconference season.Bless the 4 players who are playing 35-40 minutes a game and givng great effort.  They are doing all they can.

Unfortunately, there may be no solution to the problem this year.  We got 1 minute out of the post sub yesterday.  Even if we play the one post sub 10-15 minutes and suffer the consequences accordingly, Jordan and Emily will be logging huge minutes.  We're facing a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. 

Some years we can improve a lot during the season.  The light goes on for some talented players.  The coaches figure out what each team can do (Note Sam McKewen's suggestions on how this team may have to play this year), even if it isn't how Connie typically wants to play.  Maybe we can due some things as a team.  But it's hard to envision much in-season individual player improvement this year.  

I agree better times are ahead, based on the last recruiting class and the 2015 commitments.  It's just hard to take how we got into such an abysmal situation with regard to our depth, when we have 2-3 elite players.

First post: 

Also....

Thanks for the heads up. This was the other thought I had about her legs.