Husker Hoops Happy Hour: Friday Jan 17th

hhcmatt

Won't be able to be there....but maybe someone can bring up to the coaching staff (not that they will do anything...or have time to do anything about it) the common comments here that the 200 and mostly *300 level fans typically don't feel that they are part of the action at the game...and see if anything can be done to include more than the 100 (I'm of course including all the box seats in this section) level fans. in the excitement.

*bringing two 300 level fans down to the 100 level does nothing but show how distant the 300 fans are from the action. Most everyone that goes to the game wants to feel like they are part of it all.

Won't be able to be there....but maybe someone can bring up to the coaching staff (not that they will do anything...or have time to do anything about it) the common comments here that the 200 and mostly *300 level fans typically don't feel that they are part of the action at the game...and see if anything can be done to include more than the 100 (I'm of course including all the box seats in this section) level fans. in the excitement.

*bringing two 300 level fans down to the 100 level does nothing but show how distant the 300 fans are from the action. Most everyone that goes to the game wants to feel like they are part of it all.

Am I missing something besides the physical distance or construction of the seats that is taking away from the excitement level of the top 2 sections?

You can expect the same at any major arena in the country. It's not just college the NBA experience is the same at those levels.

Back from the event.  Not great attendance, which is too bad since it was at a great venue.   The coaches are very good about getting around and talking to people.  They will spend time with you, and it's not all superficial.  I was able to spend quite a bit of time with Miles, one on one.  He was very candid and forthcoming.  He was there early, and then left to recruit.  He really tried to work it out so he could be there.  Said it was very important to show up at things like this, especially when the team is losing.  Own it and talk to the fans. He didn't give a speech this time, just went around and talked to people.  I won't repeat anything of substance said in a private conversation, but will say a few things about the official presentation by Harriman.

Teddy Owens was there.  Good guy, spent some time talking about his dad, who is now 85 (Teddy's a youngster, so nice job by dad in having a kid when he did).

Harriman hung out a long time, and addressed the crowd.  Good effort since his wife and he welcomed a new daughter into the world 6 days ago.  I think she was born Saturday, and he made it to the game at Purdue Sunday. He is going recruiting also this weekend.  His son is doing great, and is "leukemia free" at this point. Off all meds, strong, doing just great.

In his public comments, he mainly took questions.  Shavon has indeed been hurt, but the time off this week seems to have helped.  Positive stuff on Fuller.  The early problems were the speed of the game, and being able to get his shot off.  Players close out on shots so much faster at this level.  But he is now improving.

Hawkins also has struggled with the speed of the game, and replicating what he does in practice in an actual game.  But they like him and have high hopes for the future.

Rivers will get another chance. He will need to rebound.  We need another player at that spot, but he wasn't rebounding, so he lost his minutes.  Is a great kid with a great attitude.  Could use a "mean streak".  We need his length and hope he produces. 

Leadership with the young guys is a problem  Usually they have juniors and seniors telling them what to do.  But Ray is extremely quiet, and most of the time freshmen and sophomores are getting told what to do  by other young guys.  Doesn't work as well.  Told some good stories about Tai adjusting to America, cold weather, etc.  Gave an example of things they say and don't realize he would have no way of knowing that--they mentioned "like the Princeton offense" in discussing how a team ran its offense.   The guys knew the basics of what that meant.  Except Tai, who said "What's a Princeton"?