In state kids?

Section_316

I no

6 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Anyone been keeping tabs on Chris Kingsbury's kids at Ponca? Kingsbury was a star at Iowa in the 90s

I brought up Carter Kingsbury last year.  This kid will play Division I basketball.  Although he is a Nebraska kid, I am not certain we have much of a hold on him.  The young man can shoot the ball.

• 5 weeks later...

I know it is awfully early but there is an 8th grader Jasen Green that is going to be on everyone's radar when he goes to HS. He is already playing up in the summer AAU circuit. He is real legit for his age and if he keeps growing and improving will really be in high demand with college coaches. Will be real interesting to see what freshman Hepburn at Bell West's ceiling will be as well. Some real good talent coming up in the state.

49 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I know it is awfully early but there is an 8th grader Jasen Green that is going to be on everyone's radar when he goes to HS. He is already playing up in the summer AAU circuit. He is real legit for his age and if he keeps growing and improving will really be in high demand with college coaches. Will be real interesting to see what freshman Hepburn at Bell West's ceiling will be as well. Some real good talent coming up in the state.

I assume he is from Omaha. Do you know what district he is in? (Not that it matters as far as attending a high school)

Jasen Green is planning on going to Millard North. His sister is a junior there right now, I believe. He's about 6'4" as an 8th grader and their dad is about 6'7" or 6'8". He' been playing up a grade on Chucky Hepburn's AAU/club team for a while. His ball skills still need a lot of work but his physical tools at this stage are terrific and he has a lot of game. He's definitely the guy to watch in that 2022 class. 

I'm a big fan of Hepburn. He's the best player in that class right now by a considerable margin in my mind (and that class is pretty good). His feel for the game is tremendous and he's a really solid athlete to go with it. I just wonder about how much more he's going to grow; he's already taller than his older brother and their dad is not a tall man.

Edited by Jacob Padilla

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Jasen Green is planning on going to Millard North. His sister is a junior there right now, I believe. He's about 6'4" as an 8th grader and their dad is about 6'7" or 6'8". He' been playing up a grade on Chucky Hepburn's AAU/club team for a while. His ball skills still need a lot of work but his physical tools at this stage are terrific and he has a lot of game. He's definitely the guy to watch in that 2022 class. 

I'm a big fan of Hepburn. He's the best player in that class right now by a considerable margin in my mind (and that class is pretty good). His feel for the game is tremendous and he's a really solid athlete to go with it. I just wonder about how much more he's going to grow; he's already taller than his older brother and their dad is not a tall man.

Thanks.  Looks like one to watch.

5 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

In case you missed it, @MikeSautterOWH said Omaha Central's John Tonje played himself onto the radar of Division I coaches at last weekend's AAU tournament in Indianapolis http://bit.ly/2HOqum2 

Watched him a couple times last year and was impressed. Pretty athletic, if he developed a good jump shot I could see why they would be looking at him. I think UNO might have had him in for a visit already

On 4/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, Art Vandalay said:

Watched him a couple times last year and was impressed. Pretty athletic, if he developed a good jump shot I could see why they would be looking at him. I think UNO might have had him in for a visit already

He actually already has/had the jump shot. As a sophomore he was basically just a spot-up shooter who didn't play much varsity. Got a lot better over the summer heading into his junior year and really developed the rest of his game to go with the jumper. Had a very good junior season at Central including shooting 46% from 3. He did visit UNO on Thursday.  Ball-handling and lateral quickness are probably the things he needs to work on the most. 

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He actually already has/had the jump shot. As a sophomore he was basically just a spot-up shooter who didn't play much varsity. Got a lot better over the summer heading into his junior year and really developed the rest of his game to go with the jumper. Had a very good junior season at Central including shooting 46% from 3. He did visit UNO on Thursday.  Ball-handling and lateral quickness are probably the things he needs to work on the most. 

Thanks for the info, the 2 games I saw him did not remember him shooting to much (or did not pay close enough attention if he did) so assumed it was not a strong suit, glad to hear that is not the case. With him, Wrightsell, and Polk coming back they should be pretty tough next year then.

Edited by Art Vandalay

3 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Thanks for the info, the 2 games I saw him did not remember him shooting to much (or did not pay close enough attention if he did) so assumed it was not a strong suit, glad to hear that is not the case. With him, Wrightsell, and Polk coming back they should be pretty tough next year then.

Yep. They have a couple of freshmen who suited varsity and played a lot of JV plus DaiShon Neal's brother Abe Hoskins who came off the bench for them as a sophomore this year. They have a 6'9" kid who is a junior but he's not coordinated at all and not a whole lot else in the frontcourt. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are some very good teams playing in Council Bluffs this weekend at the Iowa Field House.  The Omaha Sports Academy (OSA) teams are playing in the event which is part of the Sanford Pentagon Tournament Series.  The OSA 15U's have Preston Murphy Jr who I have not yet seen play but he recently received an offer from UNLV.  His team plays 3 games between 12:30 and 6:30.  The OSA 16U's have several players I've followed for years including Latrell Wrightsell Jr and Jadin Booth.  Jadin was rated as the top Sophomore this year by Mike Sautter and also made the all under Sr state team.  They play at 2:10 and 5:25.  The 17U's have Jaylin Hunter (ex-coach Hunter's son), Shareef Mitchell and a few others.  They play at 1:05, 4:20, and 7:35.  The 4:20 game is the best and not just because it's 4:20.  The 17U's and 16Us are each nationally ranked and have each received automatic qualifiers to a national Adidas tournament in NYC in late July.  The OSA program is a great program where kids truly play team basketball.  For my money this is far better basketball than the regular High School games here.  It is not the sloppy me-only lack of coaching that many people associate to Summer basketball.

There is one other very high quality tournament where you can see the OSA Adidas programs play here locally in the 2nd weekend of July.