In state kids?

Section_316

Are there any in state kids seniors or underclassman that could help us moving forward? We are all bummed we missed on Akoy but the fact remains that it would be really nice to win with a few in state  kids playing key roles? Why in the hell can't we develop a dead eye shooter that can play 20 minutes a game and make it rain from deep? Closest was Beranek and he shot like 32% or something? What about Khiri Thomas from Benson? or Treshawn Thurman from Central? Easily the top two prospects in Class A, either of them worth a look? What about Drew Homa? Sophomore at Prep, I know he averaged double digits last year as a freshman….

Thoughts?? Insights?? 

depends on the metro kids mindset, do i play maybe 10-20 a game at Nebraska, or can i go to UNO and be the man, and be a Omaha Legend. plus there is a definite talent gap from what we have in the metro to what we need, to compete in the big ten night in and night out, in my mind.

Most intriguing player in Omaha is 6'4" freshman at South, Aguek Arop. Starts and is pretty talented. Obviously how much he grows will be huge.  Right now he is rail thin. He looks to be an inside player but can handle the ball. Unsure if he has a very good outside shot, but looks pretty competent at the line. South is very talented and he fits right in. They should have beat Central at holiday tourney but blew it at the end. I would venture to guess he will be the next big recruit out of Omaha. 

Thomas and Thurman are looking at those places?

As another noted Hahn is Holy Cross and Thurman has the other two offers in Utah state and Fairfield. They are currently the only players in Nebraska with division 1 offers.

Again Nebraska will never win if they ever are content to go for players like these currently in state. It's a sad state of affairs that even with the popularity of AAU basketball these days that the state can barely muster 1-2 low level D-1 players on average with one decent player every couple years.

As another noted Hahn is Holy Cross and Thurman has the other two offers in Utah state and Fairfield. They are currently the only players in Nebraska with division 1 offers.

Again Nebraska will never win if they ever are content to go for players like these currently in state. It's a sad state of affairs that even with the popularity of AAU basketball these days that the state can barely muster 1-2 low level D-1 players on average with one decent player every couple years.

And yet the women's team is able to find All-Americans here in the state.

All the conversation I've heard around those two isn't about whether or not they're talented enough to play at the D1 or Big Ten level, it's whether or not they can get in school.  Biggs didn't have any offers either and he was the most talented player to play in the state this decade, IMO. When I've seen these guys play, they haven't seemed that far behind Biggs.

Also, this state has produced three players the past three seasons playing at the top level of college basketball in Agau, Biggs and Gesell.  Also, Miles had several players from Nebraska that made it to the dance as an at large bid twice.  There's more talent than you're giving this state credit for, just got to get it eligible. NU won't be able to fill it's roster with natives, but there is talent here that can help in the process if they can get the grades they need. I firmly believe that.

All the conversation I've heard around those two isn't about whether or not they're talented enough to play at the D1 or Big Ten level, it's whether or not they can get in school.  Biggs didn't have any offers either and he was the most talented player to play in the state this decade, IMO. When I've seen these guys play, they haven't seemed that far behind Biggs.

Then it should be no problem for them to take the same measure Deverell did and work two years on their craft while figuring out what the meaning of education is and earn the respect they want to get on the court.  If they can do that more power to them, if not then they obviously didnt care that much.

Then it should be no problem for them to take the same measure Deverell did and work two years on their craft while figuring out what the meaning of education is and earn the respect they want to get on the court.  If they can do that more power to them, if not then they obviously didnt care that much.

Easy to say from here. Not so simple when you've never had to do that before to just flip the switch. Biggs showed it can be done, but that doesn't make it easy.

Also, this state has produced three players the past three seasons playing at the top level of college basketball in Agau, Biggs and Gesell.  Also, Miles had several players from Nebraska that made it to the dance as an at large bid twice.  There's more talent than you're giving this state credit for, just got to get it eligible. NU won't be able to fill it's roster with natives, but there is talent here that can help in the process if they can get the grades they need. I firmly believe that.

And four in four if you count Eliason.

Plus if you look at Colorado State's roster from last year, (don't know if you want to consider that MAJOR hoops or not, but they made the dance and challenged for the title of a pretty salty MW conference) they had 5 players from Nebraska.  6, if you consider Yankton SD's Colton Iverson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Colorado_State_Rams_men%27s_basketball_team#Roster

but to add serious discussion to this matter there are some steps we can take...1) as we all know seal up the borders when we get top flight talent in state easier said than done, but still thats the first step, 2)offer a kid like Hahn explain what his role will be and hope we get lucky, if not, part ways with him, were talking about doing it with other athletes. 3) i wish we would attack Iowa, and the surrounding big ten states more, i know were are trying but were not gonna have great success in Chicago, and Detroit. We need to mine the surrounding states, follow the Wisconsin model most of their players come from the area 4) keep recruiting foreign talent, for the life of me i dont why on UC on 1620 yesterday they were talking like Webster is a failure but keep going after guys like him

I like the Wisconsin model. Iowa's done that too, it's just a polar opposite identity of Wisconsin's and it's similar to the Michigan St. football model. Recruit to a system and identity, not a ranking. When you get a stud like Wisconsin did with Dekker, you gotta land him.

only problem is those players arent just run of the mill guys they're getting at Wisconsin.  They are getting other BCS level offers.

I like the Wisconsin model. Iowa's done that too, it's just a polar opposite identity of Wisconsin's and it's similar to the Michigan St. football model. Recruit to a system and identity, not a ranking. When you get a stud like Wisconsin did with Dekker, you gotta land him.

only problem is those players arent just run of the mill guys they're getting at Wisconsin.  They are getting other BCS level offers.

Right now they are, but when they started building that wasn't the case.  They had as much tradition as we do back when Dick Bennett started this process.  We've already established there's some D1 talent in this state, but mining surrounding is a formula that can work, too.