In state kids?

Section_316

On the Ohio State post game show, Coach Miles said that he had three in state recruits in attendance.  I believe he called them the best three recruits in the state.  Coach said the three were very impressed with the environment and the crowd.  OK - who was he talking about?  

If we don't know who they are, then they probably aren't very highly touted player anyways.

If we're talking about three kids from the state of Nebraska that Miles spent time talking to before and after the game, it doesn't matter if they're nationally ranked or not.  It matters and it's important....especially if you do want to land the future highly touted players from this state.

I'm really interested as well. I think it is important to bring in Nebraska kids on a regular basis whether as preferred walk ons or scholarship players when at all possible.

That's an interesting dichotomy that you point out, HB.  It's an empirical fact that we have a large number of white girls from places like Seward and Alliance playing on our women's team.  If we tried that in men's, we'd look like UNK.

The fact that there's a difference cannot be argued.  The why would be an interesting discussion.

This doesn't really explain Iowa's instate talent.

I wasn't explaining things.  Just agreeing that there is a disparity and I don't know why there's a disparity but it's not even arguable that there is one.  Small-town Nebraska is producing D1 athletes all over the place in volleyball and girls' basketball.  Jordan Larson from Hooper is one of the best women's volleyball players in the world.  Jordan Hooper from Alliance is one of the best women's basketball players in the country. 

If I sat down and tried, I could come up with quite a list of girls from Nebraska in the last several years who have gone on to or been offered by D1 programs in women's hoops, but a brief list of current D1 players or recruits from in-state:

Jordan Hooper, Alliance (UNL)

Emily Cady, Seward (UNL)

Hannah Tvrdy, Seward (UNL)

KK Houser, Lincoln (Purdue)

Alexa Kastanek, Lincoln (Iowa)

Marissa Kastanek, Lincoln  (NC State)

Brianna Craig, Lincoln (KState)

McKenzie Fujan, Wahoo (Creighton)

Lauren Works, Lincoln (Creighton)

Alexis Akin-Otiko Bellevue (Creighton)

Alyssa Kamphaus, Seward (Creighton)

Jess Shepard, Fremont (UNL commit)

Chatrice White, Shelby (Illinois commit)

Maddie Simon, Lincoln (UNL commit)

Kiana Ibis, Omaha (UNL and Creighton offers among others)

Brooke, Jamie and Taylor Kissinger, Minden (Illinois, San Diego and uncommitted but Illinois offer)

Also Kaylee Jensen from Humphrey/Lindsay is going to Oklahoma State.

That's an interesting dichotomy that you point out, HB.  It's an empirical fact that we have a large number of white girls from places like Seward and Alliance playing on our women's team.  If we tried that in men's, we'd look like UNK.

The fact that there's a difference cannot be argued.  The why would be an interesting discussion.

This doesn't really explain Iowa's instate talent.

I wasn't explaining things.  Just agreeing that there is a disparity and I don't know why there's a disparity but it's not even arguable that there is one.  Small-town Nebraska is producing D1 athletes all over the place in volleyball and girls' basketball.  Jordan Larson from Hooper is one of the best women's volleyball players in the world.  Jordan Hooper from Alliance is one of the best women's basketball players in the country. 

If I sat down and tried, I could come up with quite a list of girls from Nebraska in the last several years who have gone on to or been offered by D1 programs in women's hoops, but a brief list of current D1 players or recruits from in-state:

Jordan Hooper, Alliance (UNL)

Emily Cady, Seward (UNL)

Hannah Tvrdy, Seward (UNL)

KK Houser, Lincoln (Purdue)

Alexa Kastanek, Lincoln (Iowa)

Marissa Kastanek, Lincoln  (NC State)

Brianna Craig, Lincoln (KState)

McKenzie Fujan, Wahoo (Creighton)

Lauren Works, Lincoln (Creighton)

Alexis Akin-Otiko Bellevue (Creighton)

Alyssa Kamphaus, Seward (Creighton)

Jess Shepard, Fremont (UNL commit)

Chatrice White, Shelby (Illinois commit)

Maddie Simon, Lincoln (UNL commit)

Kiana Ibis, Omaha (UNL and Creighton offers among others)

Brooke, Jamie and Taylor Kissinger, Minden (Illinois, San Diego and uncommitted but Illinois offer)

Also Kaylee Jensen from Humphrey/Lindsay is going to Oklahoma State.

You need to add Jamie Van Kirk of Sutton. http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4791&path=wbball

She has transferred to Hastings College to finish her last two years of school.

No question about it Kamdy...but if you dug through the archives of this site, you would see many who thought he had little to no chance at the major college level, in part because of the class/location he played in.  (by the way, Nebraska offered him as well, I believe when he was a sophomore or perhaps a junior, and then if I recall correctly, we cooled on him.)

Stop it… EE was the best player on the floor in probably 95% of the games he played in his senior year. This North kid was probably his own teams 4th best player (his team is one of the worst in the metro btw) and got torched by a 6'2 post guy when I watched him. He is NOT coming to Nebraska and if he does, it is a sign of how far away our program is….

FWIW I looked at his numbers for the game I saw him play

o points on 0-6 shooting (I recall at least 2 air balls)

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP…… 

Stop it… EE was the best player on the floor in probably 95% of the games he played in his senior year. This North kid was probably his own teams 4th best player (his team is one of the worst in the metro btw) and got torched by a 6'2 post guy when I watched him. He is NOT coming to Nebraska and if he does, it is a sign of how far away our program is….

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP…… 

Now you know what it's like to be me anytime someone feels the need to start a thread about Creighton.... ;)

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP…… 

Please stop what?  Having a civil discussion about a HS kid that apparently has a bit of interest in Nebraska or vice versa?  If that is the case, let's stop chatting about 95% of the HS and JUCO kids mentioned on this site.  You have an opinion, and it sounds like a very good one, but just because others may choose to further discuss, you want it stopped?

3 rebounds

1 block

25 minutes

PLEASE STOP…… 

Please stop what?  Having a civil discussion about a HS kid that apparently has a bit of interest in Nebraska or vice versa?  If that is the case, let's stop chatting about 95% of the HS and JUCO kids mentioned on this site.  You have an opinion, and it sounds like a very good one, but just because others may choose to further discuss, you want it stopped?

There is no indication that this kid is interested in Nebraska or vice versa.

Someone tweeted at me wondering about him.  I posted on here because I had never heard of the kid.

It sounds like he'd have a tough time making it as a walkon.

Some people think just because a guy is tall that he's automatically good.  (Cough, Sergej Vucetic, cough cough.)  I can remember some real tall stiffs playing HS ball in NE, most recently the kid Gesell played with at South Sioux.  They had D1 size, alright.  But beyond that, not much.   But, Section_316, I reviewed the thread and not a single person said that Patton was a legit D1 recruit.  Not one.

Dimes posted someone asking a question asking whether he was a D1 quality kid.  You said he wasn't.  And not a single person said that he was.  And then you posted some statistics and still no one argued your conclusion.  And then you launched into your "STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT" histrionics. 

Unless someone said "Justin Patton is a legit D1 recruit" (which no one did), then there's nothing to stop.