In state kids?

Section_316

I like the Wisconsin model. Iowa's done that too, it's just a polar opposite identity of Wisconsin's and it's similar to the Michigan St. football model. Recruit to a system and identity, not a ranking. When you get a stud like Wisconsin did with Dekker, you gotta land him.

only problem is those players arent just run of the mill guys they're getting at Wisconsin.  They are getting other BCS level offers.

Right now they are, but when they started building that wasn't the case.  They had as much tradition as we do back when Dick Bennett started this process.  We've already established there's some D1 talent in this state, but mining surrounding is a formula that can work, too.

agree 100% we have to start somewhere, it may be not be excursively in NE, but your telling me with our staff, and facilities, we cant go into Iowa, MN, WIS, other parts of ILLI and still some kids, cmon now. NU BBalll is fighting the same problem NU football is just getting out of, we were trying to compete with the Alabama's when we needed to just go out and find to good blue collar working program athletes, and breed success through continuous competition. Not to be defeatist but were not gonna beat the dukes, Kentucky;s unc's of the world to get this rivals top 100 guys, lets adopt a model to build a program, a continuous program. Look at Texas and UNC, for a few years they went real hard after a lot of these one or two and done guys, well they all left, or in Texas case left ahead of schedule, and now they are struggling, plus, those teams, look cohesive, or look like they have program guys.

Thomas and Thurman are looking at those places?

As another noted Hahn is Holy Cross and Thurman has the other two offers in Utah state and Fairfield. They are currently the only players in Nebraska with division 1 offers.

Again Nebraska will never win if they ever are content to go for players like these currently in state. It's a sad state of affairs that even with the popularity of AAU basketball these days that the state can barely muster 1-2 low level D-1 players on average with one decent player every couple years.

All the conversation I've heard around those two isn't about whether or not they're talented enough to play at the D1 or Big Ten level, it's whether or not they can get in school.  Biggs didn't have any offers either and he was the most talented player to play in the state this decade, IMO. When I've seen these guys play, they haven't seemed that far behind Biggs.

Also, this state has produced three players the past three seasons playing at the top level of college basketball in Agau, Biggs and Gesell.  Also, Miles had several players from Nebraska that made it to the dance as an at large bid twice.  There's more talent than you're giving this state credit for, just got to get it eligible. NU won't be able to fill it's roster with natives, but there is talent here that can help in the process if they can get the grades they need. I firmly believe that.

2014: Mitch Hahn Holy Cross

2013: Akoy Agau: UL

Nick Billingsley: UNO

2012: Mike Gessell: Iowa

2011: Nick Mabbutt: USD

2010: Elliott Eliason: Minn

Dwight Smith: CSU

2009: Greg Smith: CSU

Rashad Allison: Ark State

2008: Josh Jones: CU

Antoine Young: CU

Koang Dolaony: Indiana State

Wes Eikmeier: ISU

Jesse Carr: CSU

2007: none

2006: Matt Hill: Texas

Pete Reynolds: Cornell

Andy King: Samford

2005: Josh Dotzler: CU

Kenny Howard: Denver

2004: Roy Enright: St francis

Josh Jackson: Denver

Karl White: UIC

Thats ten years of Rivals database for D1 signees in the state of Nebraska.  Sure theres a couple but if you think this list of 10 years is even remotely strong then I dont know what to tell you.

(did not include Juco players from NE as this thread is focused on high school players)

Thomas and Thurman are looking at those places?

As another noted Hahn is Holy Cross and Thurman has the other two offers in Utah state and Fairfield. They are currently the only players in Nebraska with division 1 offers.

Again Nebraska will never win if they ever are content to go for players like these currently in state. It's a sad state of affairs that even with the popularity of AAU basketball these days that the state can barely muster 1-2 low level D-1 players on average with one decent player every couple years.

All the conversation I've heard around those two isn't about whether or not they're talented enough to play at the D1 or Big Ten level, it's whether or not they can get in school.  Biggs didn't have any offers either and he was the most talented player to play in the state this decade, IMO. When I've seen these guys play, they haven't seemed that far behind Biggs.

Also, this state has produced three players the past three seasons playing at the top level of college basketball in Agau, Biggs and Gesell.  Also, Miles had several players from Nebraska that made it to the dance as an at large bid twice.  There's more talent than you're giving this state credit for, just got to get it eligible. NU won't be able to fill it's roster with natives, but there is talent here that can help in the process if they can get the grades they need. I firmly believe that.

2014: Mitch Hahn Holy Cross

2013: Akoy Agau: UL

Nick Billingsley: UNO

2012: Mike Gessell: Iowa

2011: Nick Mabbutt: USD

2010: Elliott Eliason: Minn

Dwight Smith: CSU

2009: Greg Smith: CSU

Rashad Allison: Ark State

2008: Josh Jones: CU

Antoine Young: CU

Koang Dolaony: Indiana State

Wes Eikmeier: ISU

Jesse Carr: CSU

2007: none

2006: Matt Hill: Texas

Pete Reynolds: Cornell

Andy King: Samford

2005: Josh Dotzler: CU

Kenny Howard: Denver

2004: Roy Enright: St francis

Josh Jackson: Denver

Karl White: UIC

Thats ten years of Rivals database for D1 signees in the state of Nebraska.  Sure theres a couple but if you think this list of 10 years is even remotely strong then I dont know what to tell you.

(did not include Juco players from NE as this thread is focused on high school players)

i agree with you on your points about talent in Nebraska, but what do you suggest we do to combat this? clearly there is an issue with getting top talent, that has always been a issue, do we continue to battle for these top 100 guys and maybe ignore some other players like we are kind of doing now, what your ideal recruiting strategy?

i agree with you on your points about talent in Nebraska, but what do you suggest we do to combat this? clearly there is an issue with getting top talent, that has always been a issue, do we continue to battle for these top 100 guys and maybe ignore some other players like we are kind of doing now, what your ideal recruiting strategy?

Well my point was to those saying in-state kids should get a look to realize this state hasnt really turned out much talent.  They have to continue to attack the top 100.  I know location matters but look at the top 100 every year and see tons of schools that NU could beat getting multiple kids every year off the list.  They need to also find the diamonds in the rough and the overlooked players.  Guys like leslee need to be added EVERY year to combat losing out on the top choices.  This staff seems to be tireless but Im sure they didnt think it'd be as hard to recruit to the Big 10 and facilities as much as they are and has them rethinking things.  Listen to all of the recent interviews with miles and you can tell hes realizing this and will have to change a few things.

Well my point was to those saying in-state kids should get a look to realize this state hasnt really turned out much talent.  They have to continue to attack the top 100.  I know location matters but look at the top 100 every year and see tons of schools that NU could beat getting multiple kids every year off the list.  They need to also find the diamonds in the rough and the overlooked players.  Guys like leslee need to be added EVERY year to combat losing out on the top choices.  This staff seems to be tireless but Im sure they didnt think it'd be as hard to recruit to the Big 10 and facilities as much as they are and has them rethinking things.  Listen to all of the recent interviews with miles and you can tell hes realizing this and will have to change a few things.

i agree we need to attack the top 100, but it seems like once we dont get thos group A guys, we struggle lock up b,c,d and after that, which is my primary concern we put so many eggs in the ER basket, that after he said no, we had no real alternative after him, Leslee has been a surprise however.

Well, for starters, I've said more than once that NU's going to have to recruit beyond Nebraska. No one's saying otherwise, but there are players on that list, many of them, that could have helped NU over the years. We don't need them to be all conference players or anything, but there are at least six on that list that could have played significant roles here. None of them ended up here. That's six kids over the past 10 years. That's not asking a lot.

We need to get a prep school/ basketball factory in this state to start to bring in the high level high school guys.

Also seemed to have better talent and maybe better coaching(?) when we had just one high level, AAU team instead of the many we have now.

The better players made that team and got to some of the better showcases. Now not so much.

Or am I wrong about that?

Roy Enright came out the same year as Jason Dourisseau and Wes Wilkinson.  We got all three of them.  And then Enright transferred after a year.

And, in one of those years, there was a kid from either Northeast or Northstar in Lincoln who went to someplace D1 like Drake.

The list should also include Deverell Biggs who ended up D1 after a juco stint.

Roy Enright came out the same year as Jason Dourisseau and Wes Wilkinson.  We got all three of them.  And then Enright transferred after a year.

And, in one of those years, there was a kid from either Northeast or Northstar in Lincoln who went to someplace D1 like Drake.

i remember a mav camp i went to when he was like a junior, and i was in 7th or 8th grade, since i was so much larger than my grade class, they let me play up sometimes, and one game i went against him...that was an experience.

We need to get a prep school/ basketball factory in this state to start to bring in the high level high school guys.

Also seemed to have better talent and maybe better coaching(?) when we had just one high level, AAU team instead of the many we have now.

The better players made that team and got to some of the better showcases. Now not so much.

Or am I wrong about that?

What Miles needs to do to get a "leg up" is really find the kids that most people know wont be eligible and basically place them at a juco like Seward with a pipeline and relationship built in for the programs.  That way assuming the player progresses the way they should and get their academics together they can really hit it out of the park.

Mike Hahn went to Pacific.  Is that who you're thinking about?

Or was it Alton Mason going to Marquette and then transferring to ASU?

He's talking about Wendall Faines who started at Northstar and then transfered to Northeast.  He was a 6'8 post player who had a ton of potential but couldn't stay out of trouble.  Ended up not qualifying to Drake went to a Prep school and then disappered.

Another player that gets forgotten was Jerell Crayton from Bell East who was a 6'6 post player.  Went the JUCO route and then ended up at Boise State I believe

Here's my take on Nebraska high school basketball.

The state has produced some Big 12/10 talent over the years, but its a player here and there.  The talent level in basketball is improving, especially in Omaha.  But the big problem is those players aren't getting it done in the classroom.  That falls onto the coaches (both AAU and High School), the players parents, and the player themselves for not getting their $h!! done to give them a chance to play D1 ball.  That's the reason why Thurman doesn't have a ton of offers (BTW...doesn't Utah State have a quality basketball program?). 

Nebraska has to land the players in state that are these Big 10/12 caliber of players (Agau, Gessell, Elliason, Hill) and use them and the foundation of the team.  Then try and go out and get your difference makers from other areas.  I would also like to see Miles be more active in getting some walk ons.  It hurts with UNO becoming a D1 school, but get some of these fringe players to walk on and maybe when they are juniors and seniors they can have some type of a role off the bench.

One of the biggest reason the Women's basketball team is having so much success (and volleyball) is not only do they have a heck of a good coach.  But they have talented players within the state.  This state is pumping out D1 girl talent left and right.  No coincidence that the volleyball and basketball teams are having success.

Hoops aint football - walkons are nice for practice, but to think they should ever see the floor in meaningful minutes is not the right way to think. With 13 schollys, walkons should only see the court in blowouts or multple injuries. Trying to develop a walkon program aint gonna get you a program.

I'm a big hs fan as my screen name shows. I know you guys are talking bout.closing borders, but we dont make enough hoopers to have that matter much. Prolly better count on Creighton battling pretty hard for locals to especially wit their new conference.

In-state, out-state, it doesn't matter.  I don't care if the player comes from Siberia.

It all boils down to this simple fact.  There are 14 teams in the conference next year, and the only school who has failed to sign one top 100 player in the last five years is Nebraska.  Once we start making progress there, we'll move up the standings.

Hoops aint football - walkons are nice for practice, but to think they should ever see the floor in meaningful minutes is not the right way to think. With 13 schollys, walkons should only see the court in blowouts or multple injuries. Trying to develop a walkon program aint gonna get you a program.

I'm not saying a full fledged walk on program like football.  I'm saying trying to get a player who is a fringe D1 prospect and gettting to walk on.  They can fill that role of a practice player like Menke is and maybe just maybe they develop into a guy that can come off the bench and hit a few threes or play defense here and there.  I agree with you that walk ons shouldn't be getting meaningful minutes, but that's not what I was talking about.

Jalen Bradley was a guy that I thought fit this a couple of years ago.

I'm not saying a full fledged walk on program like football.  I'm saying trying to get a player who is a fringe D1 prospect and gettting to walk on.  They can fill that role of a practice player like Menke is and maybe just maybe they develop into a guy that can come off the bench and hit a few threes or play defense here and there.  I agree with you that walk ons shouldn't be getting meaningful minutes, but that's not what I was talking about.

Jalen Bradley was a guy that I thought fit this a couple of years ago.

But we can get those players anywhere. That's what Tim Wagner is. They don't have to come from Nebraska.

I want Khyri Thomas from Benson. I don't care if he's from Nebraska. I don't care if the competition isn't good. I don't care that he isn't highly rated and his best offers are UNO, UMKC and Portland State. He's 6'3", he can shoot. He can finish with his off hand in traffic better than our current players finish with their strong hand. He has potential, and most importantly, we have an open scholarship, a lot of dead weight on our roster, and can't seem to get anybody else to commit.

I want Khyri Thomas from Benson. I don't care if he's from Nebraska. I don't care if the competition isn't good. I don't care that he isn't highly rated and his best offers are UNO, UMKC and Portland State. He's 6'3", he can shoot. He can finish with his off hand in traffic better than our current players finish with their strong hand. He has potential, and most importantly, we have an open scholarship, a lot of dead weight on our roster, and can't seem to get anybody else to commit.

I want Trey Dickerson whom is coveted by teams currently ranked in the top 25 and would play the same position in college.