In state kids?

Section_316

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Agree, really good shooter but limited size for a 2 guard and have not seen him run the point much so not sure how that transition will go.

Surprised Creighton offer Dotzler, good player but did not see him at that level

I was too.  Creighton has done a good job of landing kids in the top 150 as of late.  Their last 2 PG’s were top 100 in fact.  

What I will say is I like that they had him in, liked what they saw and offered immediately regardless of stars or other offers.  They trusted their eyes.   I wish our football coach would follow suit with in state kids. (This year has been much better with the new staff, but they still f’d around with the kid from Fremont until he got a Tennessee offer).  

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

The only issue is his height for a guard at 6' 1". Would need him to have a growth spurt unless he's running PG. 

Or unless he has mad skills like Nate Johnson.  Nate was listed at 6’2” as a senior, and this young man has time to grow.  I know Nate played some point his first year here, but he was a natural 2.  And a damn good one.

On 4/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, royalfan said:

Anyone have any opinions on Connor Millikan of Platteview?  Watched him a few teams this year.  Hell of a lot of fun to watch. 

I think the main question I have are if he is generating so many points because he is just more athletic than everyone at this level(and would not be in higher levels).  His shot also a little bit broken from distance imo.  Perhaps that could be fixed. 

Anyway the Scheierman talk has me wondering if this is correct that we have had no discussion about this kid or not. Incredible high school scorer of the basketball.  

Committed to Dordt recently. Needs a better shot to get more offers. Heady player and solid kid.

13 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

The only issue is his height for a guard at 6' 1". Would need him to have a growth spurt unless he's running PG. 

Every time I've watched Johnson, he's been mostly catch and shoot. This year is key, if Bell West increases his ball handling duties, but that might be tough when they have Dotzler.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating when talking about our local recruiting: the ship has sailed on the state's top-end talent. Nebraska had an extraordinary run of talent the last decade, but the next two years are sparse. There might be some late bloomers (Jacob Arop?), but Dotzler is the only high-end recruit in either class at this point. 

Tbh, I think our recent increased interest in local kids is a PR move. I don't mean that it's phony and we're never going recruit local kids, more that it's designed to show we're interested when the next good ones come along.

My fear is if (when) Fred goes, the next guy sees the current slim pickings and doesn't lay the groundwork for future talent in the state.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

There might be some late bloomers (Jacob Arop?), but Dotzler is the only high-end recruit in either class at this point. 

And that's being generous. I feel like both Green and Dotzler are projects with potential, but Creighton was willing to take a chance on the local kids knowing that they likely won't need either for a couple years. I could see both making their mark as sophomores or juniors. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 12:23 PM, royalfan said:

Anyone have any opinions on Connor Millikan of Platteview?  Watched him a few teams this year.  Hell of a lot of fun to watch. 

I think the main question I have are if he is generating so many points because he is just more athletic than everyone at this level(and would not be in higher levels).  His shot also a little bit broken from distance imo.  Perhaps that could be fixed. 

Anyway the Scheierman talk has me wondering if this is correct that we have had no discussion about this kid or not. Incredible high school scorer of the basketball.  

Just now saw this.... Connor Millikan is an above average athlete with longer arms, so he has some ability that others do not possess. He doesn't seem to have good shot mechanics, but has really good instincts and court savvy which accounts for high scoring and high rebound rate. I enjoy watching him play ball, for the level he's at is about the 'right fit' for his skill set to flourish. Put him in Class A, and it'd be tough for him to 'stand out' as being above the average-to-good player, imho.

Edited by AuroranHusker

A quick look at Nebraska kids on opening night:

DW finished with 17, Max Murrell with 2 for Stanford.

Tonje with 16 for CSU.

Allick started for New Mexico, scoreless in 19 minutes, but only took 1 shot and had 8 rebounds.

A. Arop had 2 for San Diego St.

Fidler with 11 against KU, freshman Luke Jungers (Prep) with 12 and 6. Please don't look for my state tournament post where I was unimpressed by Jungers.

Easley with 11 for SDS. Good for him.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Tonje with 16 for CSU.

Allick started for New Mexico, scoreless in 19 minutes, but only took 1 shot and had 8 rebounds.

Fidler with 11 against KU, freshman Luke Jungers (Prep) with 12 and 6. Please don't look for my state tournament post where I was unimpressed by Jungers.

Baylor Scheierman had 11 pts 10 reb 3 assists for the blue school that you probably purposely left off your list.  Mitchell had 1 assist in 9 minutes of play. 

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

he left Chucky off too

28 minutes of play for Wisco, with 14 points (including hitting 3 of 5 3-point shots) with 3 assists and 2 TO's

Also Hunter got 10 points in 24 minutes with 6 rebounds for Gonzaga.

Forgot about Chucky and Hunter, intentionally didn't include the other 2.

6 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Tonje with 16 for CSU.

Sam Griesel had, in 37 minutes, 8 of 12 field goals, 1 of 2 three pointers, 5 of 6 free throws, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 22 points.

So this is our 2022-23 roster for Nebraska kids playing on DONU:  How would this team do?  Lacking a true post but a pretty good group of guards and role players behind them.  

Chucky Hepburn Wis

Hunter Sallis Zags

Baylor Scheierman bad guys

Sam Griesel N

Aguek Arop San D State

Donavon Williams Pacific

Sheriff Mitchell bad guys

Max Murrell Stanford

Frankie Fidler UNO

John Tonje Colo St

Josiah Allick New Mex

Charlie Easley SD St

Jadin Johnson Old Dom

Jasen Green (RS?) bad guys

Isaac Traudt Vir

Anyone I missed?

Edited by Navin R. Johnson

2 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

So this is our 2022-23 roster for Nebraska kids playing on DONU:  How would this team do?  Lacking a true post but a pretty good group of guards and role players behind them.  

Chucky Hepburn Wis

Hunter Sallis Zags

Sam Griesel N

Aguek Arop San D State

Donavon Williams Pacific

Max Murrell Stanford

Frankie Fidler UNO

John Tonje Colo St

Josiah Allick New Mex

Charlie Easley SD St

Jadin Johnson Old Dom

Anyone I missed?

Isaac Traudt Virginia

19 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Chucky Hepburn Wis

Hunter Sallis Zags

Sam Griesel N

Aguek Arop San D State

Donavon Williams Pacific

Max Murrell Stanford

Frankie Fidler UNO

John Tonje Colo St

Josiah Allick New Mex

Charlie Easley SD St

Jadin Johnson Old Dom

Isaac Traudt Vir

Anyone I missed?

Some of those guys had choices and we weren't it.

Others of those guys would have loved to have a Nebraska offer and would have jumped at the chance.

If we had offered Baylor Scheierman out of HS, he'd be a Husker today. Same with Sam G. Don't know about Tonje or Allick.

But I can say, of the guys we had a legit shot to land, I would have loved for Chucky to be a Husker rn. I think we could build a pretty damned good team around just those guys we were close to getting or could have gotten if we'd have offered. Chucky, Baylor, Sam, John Tonje and one of the big guys would be a team that would be competitive in the Big Ten. 

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Some of those guys had choices and we weren't it.

Others of those guys would have loved to have a Nebraska offer and would have jumped at the chance.

If we had offered Baylor Scheierman out of HS, he'd be a Husker today. Same with Sam G. Don't know about Tonje or Allick.

But I can say, of the guys we had a legit shot to land, I would have loved for Chucky to be a Husker rn. I think we could build a pretty damned good team around just those guys we were close to getting or could have gotten if we'd have offered. Chucky, Baylor, Sam, John Tonje and one of the big guys would be a team that would be competitive in the Big Ten. 

I think Miles had a very good relationship with Hepburn.  No doubt most all major conf coaches missed the boat on Sam and Baylor.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:08 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

Nebraska had an extraordinary run of talent the last decade, but the next two years are sparse. 

Here's a theory: when the Nebraska Cornhuskers are good at a sport (e.g., football in the past and volleyball more recently), Nebraska high schools produces high-level athletes--and lots of them--in that sport.  So many are produced, in fact, that other schools in the region (at all levels) begin to excel by recruiting Nebraska high school players.  Let's call it the "Husker Effect."

No other school--anywhere--can replicate the Husker Effect.

During the Tim Miles years before Bill Moos (2012-2017), Nebrasketball was on the rise and creating excitement, and the development of in-state talent resulted from the Husker Effect. 

Once Moos arrived and entrenched the Nebrasketball downfall, the Husker-effect subsided: eighth graders in 2017 would have been high school seniors in 2021. 

16 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Here's a theory: when the Nebraska Cornhuskers are good at a sport (e.g., football in the past and volleyball more recently), Nebraska high schools produces high-level athletes--and lots of them--in that sport.  So many are produced, in fact, that other schools in the region (at all levels) begin to excel by recruiting Nebraska high school players.  Let's call it the "Husker Effect."

No other school--anywhere--can replicate the Husker Effect.

During the Tim Miles years before Bill Moos (2012-2017), Nebrasketball was on the rise and creating excitement, and the development of in-state talent resulted from the Husker Effect. 

Once Moos arrived and entrenched the Nebrasketball downfall, the Husker-effect subsided: eighth graders in 2017 would have been high school seniors in 2021. 

You are giving Eichorst an undeserved pass.  He was the first to cut off a Miles testicle.  Moos cut off the other one.  

Chucky Hepburn Wis
Hunter Sallis Zags
Sam Griesel N
Aguek Arop San D State
Donavon Williams Pacific
Max Murrell Stanford
Frankie Fidler UNO
John Tonje Colo St
Josiah Allick New Mex
Charlie Easley SD St
Jadin Johnson Old Dom
Isaac Traudt Vir

Anyone I missed?

Saint Thomas and Jay Dawson at Loyola Chicago.
William Kyle III at South Dakota State
Sam Hastrieter at North Dakota State
Akol Arop at UNO
Luke Jungers at UNO

14 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Jungers has made a huge leap over the past 10 months or so. He was really good down the stretch of his senior season and then the upgraded strength and conditioning program at Omaha helped him immensely this summer. You probably weren't wrong in your evaluation at the time.