In state kids?

Section_316

Was at Millard North Bellevue West game tonight. Bellevue West was in control pretty much the hole game. They play great defense. Millard North looked disjointed all night. 

Chucky Hepburn was the best player on the floor tonight. Many times he went head to head with Sallis and usually came out on top. This is the best I have seen him play.  Made shots, great passes, and terrific defense. 

I am a huge fan of Frankie Fidler. He has a great stroke. His misses look good. I think UNO has a steal here. 

3rd guy to watch tonight was Josiah Dotzler. Really had a nice game. Only a sophomore. Will slide in nicely to replace Hepburn next year.

As for Millard North, no one played great. Hunter had a couple wow plays, but overall not great. Turned it over more than I have seen. 

Saint Thomas struggled. Seemed to force everything tonight. 

Jasen Green played ok. Its hard for him to stand out on this team. He is a good rebounder, and has a nice shot. Hit 1 or 2 3's.

Best game for Millard North tonight was probably Tyler Sandoval. 6'8" senior. Played hard and picked up a lot of baskets in close. Plays within himself. 

On 1/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, hhcmatt said:

Sophomore PG John Mitchell from Creighton HS is averaging 33.6 a game.

Watched his game last night on TV.  LCC ran a box and one on him, and held him to 14.  You could still see he has outstanding skills on offense.  Young kid, so I don't want to be too harsh, but that defense really frustrated him, and he basically just gave up.  Stood around well outside of the perimeter, passively.     

10 hours ago, unl said:

Where do you guys see Saint Thomas ending up? 

That's obviously the million dollar question. Based off last night you probably would not think he would have many options. But with basketball it's obviously important not to go off just one game. 

Honestly, if Wichita State did not lose Martin this year, I thought he would be a pretty good fit there.  He really wants a Creighton offer. I would think he would have it by now, but McDermott may come in late. If. not, maybe Tulsa, Saint Louis or Loyola?

22 hours ago, HB said:

Watched his game last night on TV.  LCC ran a box and one on him, and held him to 14.  You could still see he has outstanding skills on offense.  Young kid, so I don't want to be too harsh, but that defense really frustrated him, and he basically just gave up.  Stood around well outside of the perimeter, passively.     

Gotta love those LCC players.  They are a tenacious bunch...always have been ;)

23 hours ago, HB said:

It would be surprising if that was the first box and one he's seen. Kidney was running that against some of the top 8th grade girls.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, imnothipp said:

That's obviously the million dollar question. Based off last night you probably would not think he would have many options. But with basketball it's obviously important not to go off just one game. 

Honestly, if Wichita State did not lose Martin this year, I thought he would be a pretty good fit there.  He really wants a Creighton offer. I would think he would have it by now, but McDermott may come in late. If. not, maybe Tulsa, Saint Louis or Loyola?

Yep. I just wasn’t sure if D1 would happen. I’ve only seen him on tv limited but it seems he could become a player. If no, be a Maverick. If yes, Nebraska. 

Watching the USD/SDSU game tonight, a battle for first place in the Summit League.  There are a lot of Nebraska kids in this game.  The Jacks have:

• Baylor Scheierman
  • Charley Easley
  • David Wingett

All whom have played significant minutes

The 'Yotes have:

• Brady Heiman
  • Kanon Koster

Neither have played. I think maybe Heiman is injured.

Anyone else attend Heartland Hoops Classic in GI this past Saturday? Was only there for 2nd session so can't comment on 1st 4 games. No shortage of talent in any of the games. And agree with huskerpapa that Hepburn is best player in the state. He plays great defense and is quick and physical. Made incredible block at the rim in one instance. He also guarded every position and didn't back down taking on Zach Clemence who is big headed to Kansas. 

3 minutes ago, roscoe said:

Anyone else attend Heartland Hoops Classic in GI this past Saturday? Was only there for 2nd session so can't comment on 1st 4 games. No shortage of talent in any of the games. And agree with huskerpapa that Hepburn is best player in the state. He plays great defense and is quick and physical. Made incredible block at the rim in one instance. He also guarded every position and didn't back down taking on Zach Clemence who is big headed to Kansas. 

Not looking forward to seeing him twice a year with Wisconsin...it's like Mike Gesell all over again

On 2/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, roscoe said:

I was there all day. 

Session I recap.

Session II recap.

Let me know if there are any players or teams you want to hear about. 

Prep beat Millard North tonight 76-75. Great game. Hunter Sallis was terrific. 27 points. Saint Thomas had 19 and Jasen Green 14. I thought this was the best Green has looked this year. My friend and I disagree on St Thomas He feels Nebraska should offer. I disagree, He is a good player and can do a lot of different things.  Just not sure his game translates to power 5. 

Prep was very balanced. Luke Jungers is a 6'8" junior who had 22. He has a nice stroke. Similar to Frankie Fidler at Bell West. Prep had better point guard play and really clamped down in the 4th quarter. Prep made almost all their free throws. MN missed a few big ones late that cost them. 

Really exciting high school game.

14 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Not surprised, he was tough at OC. His dad reffed some of my games when I was coaching U14s. Nice man and believe it or not, a good ref.

Is this what this board has degenerated to???  People speaking positively of former Creighton players???

Although I'm sure your description of Latrell Wrightsell Sr. is correct; from what I remember he was no Grant Gibbs.  And he did play in the single greatest college basketball game of all time.

image.png

Edited by Dead Dog Alley
Edited for the purpose of correctly using a semicolon.

8 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Is this what this board has degenerated to???  People speaking positively of former Creighton players???

Although I'm sure your description of Latrell Wrightsell Sr. is correct; from what I remember he was no Grant Gibbs.  And he did play in the single greatest college basketball game of all time.

image.png

Only 5 threes attempted by Nebraska and they still put up 97.  Not too shabby