In state kids?

Section_316

33 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's quite a list. 

The place where Buzz Williams used to coach...and the place he currently coaches.

The place where Dana Altman used to coach...and the place he currently coaches.

And Hawaii.

I mean, if you can get yourself an all expenses paid trip to paradise while deciding where to go to school, why not?  I'd be kinda surprised to learn Hawaii doesn't get official visits from every single player they offer.

Just now, 49r said:

The place where Buzz Williams used to coach...and the place he currently coaches.

The place where Dana Altman used to coach...and the place he currently coaches.

And Hawaii.

I mean, if you can get yourself an all expenses paid trip to paradise while deciding where to go to school, why not?  I'd be kinda surprised to learn Hawaii doesn't get official visits from every single player they offer.

If Hawaii offered me, I'd commit there tomorrow.

6 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska's talent level in late 2010s/early 2020s seems to resemble the high level of play in the 80s/90s.

The pool is much, much deeper now, imo. The 1990 all-state team had Strickland, Badgett and Woolridge, plus Curtis Marshall, who went to NC State. But the rest of those teams in that era were mostly a bunch of D-2 kids. So maybe no class of the 1990 level today, but a lot more D-1 players.

Differences today: (1) More exposure from AAU, as opposed to one state traveling team picked via geographical political correctness  (2) more opportunities in the region, with UNO and Dakotas now D-1 (3) the Sudanese kids (4) the decline of football locally (due to NU's woes and reports of injuries), leading more kids to choose other sports. 

7 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The pool is much, much deeper now, imo. The 1990 all-state team had Strickland, Badgett and Woolridge, plus Curtis Marshall, who went to NC State. But the rest of those teams in that era were mostly a bunch of D-2 kids. So maybe no class of the 1990 level today, but a lot more D-1 players.

Differences today: (1) More exposure from AAU, as opposed to one state traveling team picked via geographical political correctness  (2) more opportunities in the region, with UNO and Dakotas now D-1 (3) the Sudanese kids (4) the decline of football locally (due to NU's woes and reports of injuries), leading more kids to choose other sports. 

Yep. There are WAY more opportunities for competition beyond the H.S. hoops circuit from 20-30 years ago. That's the biggest factor, IMHO.

I am really surprised on Wur. He is very athletic.  I actually thought he was better defensively then offensively. I know the highlight tape looks good (when he get to the rim) but he turns the ball over a lot. And he never posts up. I thought a couple years in juco would really help him develop.  I thought if he and Arop could switch bodies there would be 2 great players. Unfortunately, they both have the wrong skill set for there body types. Just my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Uh.... a 10 being my wife’s non-stop level of FOMO and a 1 being your buddies went to the boats in Council Bluffs but you hate gambling and the cigarettes smoke so you went home FOMO...

I’d say this is like ~6

This is probably like a 9-10 in the Miles era I think.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

So i think I could coach Millard North to a state title next year...

Remember they had those three plus Porter who is a Husker walk on and they did not make it to state last year. Not to many had Omaha South winning it all last year. Granted North was young but you never know, especially with high school kids.

42 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Remember they had those three plus Porter who is a Husker walk on and they did not make it to state last year. Not to many had Omaha South winning it all last year. Granted North was young but you never know, especially with high school kids.

Plus a really good PG who will be playing ball in college as well. They have under achieved for a while now

38 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I cant think of the last time a high school team has had three P5 caliber players on the same team. All of which are current P5 talent. I think thats an important distinction to make. Not like a team that had two really good upperclassmen and a freshman that turned into something later. These are all three talented players who are going in to the season with high caliber offers.

If they are healthy and dont win a title I guarantee there will be a coaching change (yes, high schools make performance based changes too).

It happened at Benson High School when said coach failed to even make the state final with a future NBA draft pick and a mid major defensive/new comer of the year in addition to a couple D2 players.