In state kids?

Section_316

On 1/9/2016 at 7:20 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

There exists within this program and its fan base the idea that "Nebraska doesn't have any basketball talent." It's just false. There may not be a superstar out there very often, but there are kids who can fill out our roster. Instead, we go outside and pick up a lot of high-risk kids who we think are somehow better. I don't like to pick on kids who are on our team, so let me use Tarin Smith as an example. You don't think we can find a kid as good as him around here? And the sad thing is, of the five guys Dirk listed, four of them we didn't really even put any effort into.

Yeah, I'm quoting myself from 2016 after reading Jacob Padilla's article. At the time of this post, there was a lot of discussion about missing on Khryi Thomas and Patton and some people on the board were thin skinned about the criticism. That missed the point. The point was that there were kids who could fill out the roster and provide stability. We didn't just  "miss" on Thomas and Patton, we also didn't see the value of Thurman, Hagedorn, Chandler, Logan Strom (redshirting at UNO) and a bunch of others. We went years with an empty scholarship that could have gone to one of these guys. Who should we have given a scholarship to? I don't know, that was Miles' job. I think he finally started offering guys because of the embarrassment of the misses, not because he suddenly realized that his recruiting philosophy might have been his undoing. He ended up with a thin roster that a couple of Nebraska kids could have saved. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2019 at 12:58 PM, Chuck Taylor said:

Yeah, I'm quoting myself from 2016 after reading Jacob Padilla's article. At the time of this post, there was a lot of discussion about missing on Khryi Thomas and Patton and some people on the board were thin skinned about the criticism. That missed the point. The point was that there were kids who could fill out the roster and provide stability. We didn't just  "miss" on Thomas and Patton, we also didn't see the value of Thurman, Hagedorn, Chandler, Logan Strom (redshirting at UNO) and a bunch of others. We went years with an empty scholarship that could have gone to one of these guys. Who should we have given a scholarship to? I don't know, that was Miles' job. I think he finally started offering guys because of the embarrassment of the misses, not because he suddenly realized that his recruiting philosophy might have been his undoing. He ended up with a thin roster that a couple of Nebraska kids could have saved. 

Obviously my record on here shows I agree with you immensely. But in before @hhcmatt comes in and asks you exactly who you would have not given a scholarship to and who you would have, as he tears you apart with detailed precision ?

But really though, it's a tough line to walk. You never want to rely on Nebraska kids for your scoring, immediate impact, or for the meat of your roster (in my opinion). But you and I are in lock-step with the idea that we could fill out a roster and add great role players with Nebraska kids instead of filling them with reaches from all over. I always had huge issues with the random additions to the team Doc would add, versus getting an instate kid. Mike Smith and crew for example. 

22 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Obviously my record on here shows I agree with you immensely. But in before @hhcmatt comes in and asks you exactly who you would have not given a scholarship to and who you would have, as he tears you apart with detailed precision ?

62df7sl9cu811.gif

2 hours ago, busticket said:

For the record I would have offered Thurman.  I really enjoyed watching him at UNO.....errr Omaha.  He was a beast and certainly could have helped our team.  I still wonder if there was more to that story....

Definitely talented. I think he was just that undersized PF that you werent really sure if he could handle his own against guys who were just as atheletic (if not more) and bigger and stronger. I know while at UNO he struggled with foul trouble against Summit League level teams, which to me, suggests he'd have been eaten alive in the Big Ten. However, idk if he improved in that area during his redshirt year and senior year at Neveda.

22 hours ago, busticket said:

For the record I would have offered Thurman.  I really enjoyed watching him at UNO.....errr Omaha.  He was a beast and certainly could have helped our team.  I still wonder if there was more to that story....

Without a doubt would have offered. Also would have offered Tre'Deon Hollins after junior college. Though, I believe Navin is correct about Thurman and grades. 

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Without a doubt would have offered. Also would have offered Tre'Deon Hollins after junior college. Though, I believe Navin is correct about Thurman and grades. 

Yeah, Thurman committed to UNO rather late because they still had a slot. He was a great glue guy for Nevada as a SR. Tre-Deon Hollins could have helped any B1G team, tbh.

19 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I can't remember for sure but I believe Thurman was a questionable qualifier out of high school which might have sacred teams away. It has been a problem with some of the recent Central grads.

I heard just the opposite about Thurman from somebody who knows his family, that he had the grades, test scores, etc. Not so with some of the other Central players, however, several had to go the JC route. Hollins had some personal issues too, but man he was good.

33 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I heard just the opposite about Thurman from somebody who knows his family, that he had the grades, test scores, etc. Not so with some of the other Central players, however, several had to go the JC route. Hollins had some personal issues too, but man he was good.

Yeah as far as i know Akoy Agau and Tre'Shawn Thurman had the grades. Tra-Deon Hollins (JUCO, Omaha), Nick Billingsley (JUCO, UTSA) and KJ Scott (JUCO, Texas Southern), and the other Hollins brother did not.

• 4 weeks later...

Murrell is an interesting prospect, 6’9” and can really jump as well as hit the 3 consistently. Pretty slight and had a few nagging injuries. His Dad was a 7 foot high jumper and good ball player himself for Grand Island back in the day.

we have offered Chucky and Hunter already hope the new guys agree with those offers but who knows. Sallis would for sure seem to fit their mode.

Edited by Art Vandalay

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Also had offers from Boston U. and Fairfield. He should still count as a D-1 recruit out of Nebraska in the argument that there's instate talent. ?

ODU could just about fill a roster with Nebraska talent and be able to compete in Conference USA. Not necessarily *win* in that conference, but compete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...